TF Wa Handle with Finger Notch

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tostadas

Hobbyist / Craftsman
Reaction score
I personally love the TF finger notch on the western versions, but have been hesitant to try the wa version because it looks like the notch would place your finger too far forward from the handle. For those of you that have tried the wa-handle version of the TF with finger notch, how does it feel?

Terrible and useless, but not because it's too far forward. It's well located for a proper pinch grip. It's terrible because all TF finger notches are terrible: too small and uncomfortable in a pinch grip.

Pinch grip to me means your middle finger is in the notch, btw.
So if it were bigger, then you would think it's OK?

Terrible and useless, but not because it's too far forward. It's well located for a proper pinch grip. It's terrible because all TF finger notches are terrible: too small and uncomfortable in a pinch grip.

Agreed 100%

Avoid like the plague. The notch makes no sense on the Wa variant, except being a TF signature feature.
I love it on the Western handles. Makes gripping the blade far more comfortable. But it will reduce the effective edge length somewhat.

I usually look to you guys as enablers for an excuse to buy more stuff. But in this case, I think the best option would probably be to pass.

This is how it looks on a maboroshi 180. It doesn’t hurt and I have big hands. It moves your grip forward a little.
F50EE169-6DFE-4E9A-8EDC-8FE54413FC4F.jpeg

+1
The idea makes sense--I have a HF with a gentle notch that's really comfy--but the TF execution is not for me. No benefit--multiple downsides. (Talking wa handle here, I've never tried a notched TF western.)

Last edited:
I just got a Mab in the wa style. The original handle was fairly uncomfortable for my big sausage fingers. the gap between the ferrule and the notch was not big enough to accommodate a comfortable grip. When I rehandled it, I shaved off a bit of the ferrule to contour it for a more natural finger curl. I took a quick video yesterday, hopefully you can see what I mean.

Your hand is huge. The knife looks like a toothpick in comparison.

I do have a big hand and the knife is a new 195mm Denka that I just received. I was a little surprised myself that the notch worked. I also like the handle much more than I thought I would. I’ll put it to work over the weekend and see if my first impressions hold up.

Works for me …

But ymmv!
I just got a Mab in the wa style. The original handle was fairly uncomfortable for my big sausage fingers. the gap between the ferrule and the notch was not big enough to accommodate a comfortable grip. When I rehandled it, I shaved off a bit of the ferrule to contour it for a more natural finger curl. I took a quick video yesterday, hopefully you can see what I mean.
You guys suck. I was pretty content this morning to pass on a new TF...

HA … welcome to the rabbit hole. I “HAD” to buy this Denka because I made the mistake of participating in a discussion over which was preferred … a 180 Gyuto or a 210mm. When this WA handled 195 turned up I was absolutely compelled to buy it to prove that the 195 was “perfect”.

Ain’t it great!

I’m just glad I never joined the Crawler Tractor Forum or the Rolex Watch Forum and it’s a heck of a lot cheaper than the new Wives Forum!
Experienced people say that if you join the Young Girlfriends Forum while being a member of the Old Wives Forum chances are you will loose your membership in the latter!

Unless you’re a farrier in which case you can trim horses hooves with the same tool you make dinner with.

By way of explanation … that knife started out life as what I called a “farrier’s rasp”. It is used primarily to trim horses hooves.

I’ve seen a few people modify the notch here. If you are going to keep it then I say modify it.

Honestly his western handles are terrible in fit and finish and my only complaint in my limited experience of 1. The Wa handle would solve this. If you enlarged the notch to your comfort level then I think you would have a very nice knife.

I immediately took my TF western handle to a coarse stone to get rid of the angle of the heal that kills the outrageously expensive Norwex towels my wife loves.

I’d say go for what makes you happy, I think the notch is very TF distinctive as someone mentioned. Our TF petty is one of the most used knives in the kitchen. It is a smaller Mab and takes a screaming sharp edge and holds it. That’s saying a lot since we don’t baby it at all.

personal I donot like the finger notch on western or wa handle, they all look ugly.

I had a TF denka western 210 before, and it did help to release the stress of my finger. But I still...

For Wa handle, I do not see the benefit out of the finger notch, so I said, F**k it, let's just try it with TF customer order.

After waiting for 2 month, I got a workbeast instead of workhorse.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/show-your-newest-knife-buy.7655/post-841988
I put a few hours into grinding and polishing. Here is the final result. It is 270 gram now.

WeChat Image_20211113155624.jpgWeChat Image_20211113155629.jpg

Last edited:
Ngl I do like the finger notch on wa handles. It completely changed how the knife works, which some with heavily ingrained knife skills might mind, but my technique is loose enough to comfortably adapt to a funny grip. My hands aren’t huge so the size isn’t a problem, but it’s a little sharp.

I find the finger notch adds power, more fingers pushing down/forward on a relatively light and thin knife. Also sucks your grip to the front, making the knife feel shorter, but with the available edge in the back useable if you need it. My 210 feels like a 180 when you’re waving it around or doing fine work, with more edge tucked away.

Back