TF Wabi-Sabi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and back on topic, i know a us store or something is working with a real professional sharpening friend of mine for batches preworked denkas. :)

and back on topic, i know a us store or something is working with a real professional sharpening friend of mine for batches preworked denkas. :)

They're rarer, KU TF with core steel of white 1 (not AS) with hand-chiseled kanji, if we're thinking of the same person.

"That hammer mark basically on the edge? It is the second coming of Cindy Crawford's beauty mark. That wobbly edge? Edges that aren't straight improve food release, and after you sharpen the knife a few times the edge will become scalloped, further improving its cutting potential!"

Curious who the sharpener you're talking about is.

PM details. Would love a nihonto finish on my Denka's

I was just chatting with @inzite (Ricky) who’s no longer on KKF. He said to me that people who can’t take their knives to stones properly shouldn’t buy TFs. Because they aren’t doing it justice. I thought it was so true that I decided to share it here.
And the truth is, TFs are “functionally perfectly fine” and can be left the way they are. Because they are intrinsically wicked cutters.

I mostly agree. But frankly I think this is largely true of most knives, and besides almost everything cuts better without the stupid bead blast finish.

My problem with TF, if you can even call it that, again relates back to something I said earlier that I really and truly believe. When you pay more for a knife, I think you should aim to pay more for materials, or for f&f work you dont have to do yourself, not the basics. TF asks for a lot of money IMO for a knife that IMO is unfinished IMO (notice the IMO, this is just my opinion folks). I am less willing to pay for scarcity, I suppose.

It was mentioned earlier that the Nashiji petty is a great deal and I agree with that. And the Morihei fine finish knives are reasonable, and I agree with that. Unfortunately the latter appear to be difficult to get new anymore which I think is a real shame.

I mostly agree. But frankly I think this is largely true of most knives, and besides almost everything cuts better without the stupid bead blast finish.

My problem with TF, if you can even call it that, again relates back to something I said earlier that I really and truly believe. When you pay more for a knife, I think you should aim to pay more for materials, or for f&f work you dont have to do yourself, not the basics. TF asks for a lot of money IMO for a knife that IMO is unfinished IMO (notice the IMO, this is just my opinion folks). I am less willing to pay for scarcity, I suppose.

It was mentioned earlier that the Nashiji petty is a great deal and I agree with that. And the Morihei fine finish knives are reasonable, and I agree with that. Unfortunately the latter appear to be difficult to get new anymore which I think is a real shame.

For someone that wanted this thread locked down and the terminology banned, you sure hung around and posted a lot. HT counts along with materials.

Please let’s bury that hatchet. Welcome to the grey zone:

It is perfectly okay to love a TF for various, genuine reasons that are more or less shared from noobs to pros that wouldn’t do without one/some;

It is perfectly okay to withold splashing money on any of them for f&f or inconsistency reasons, an amount of them more or less shared from noobs to pros that can do without any of them.

Please try one before counting yourself one of either camp; and please measure any discourse proning either beliefs.

But more importantly, live a full life, with/out TF.

OOTB choil shots for a 240 Morihei fine finish, 240 Denka and 150 Denka.
The 150 Denka is still my favorite of the lot though, choil shots don’t really matter much.
4CC3EB6F-B3F7-4FCB-819A-5FE6F8FD67D3.jpeg

3F6CDF65-D289-404A-BFCF-162209186E52.jpeg

97737B68-1B1F-469F-B772-1E0797187A55.jpeg

Too many have this impression that the most expensive things must be the best in class in every category. That couldn’t be further from the truth.

Obviously TF does not have F&F on the top of his product design goals, it’s just delivering the best HT and cutting ability. And he is comfortable with the price he is charging as people are buying his knives.

If you want a TF with excellent F&F you can go ahead and buy one of their 150th Anniversary knives and that comes with better than Shig Kitaeji F&F. It’s not that they can’t do it, it’s just not their priority for their regular line knives.

Interesting to see...

My experience with one Mabs shorter knife vs two Gyuto resembles that of your shorter Gyuto vs. both others.
Don’t get me wrong though, the Denka beats them all in terms of cutting power. But the smaller knife just feels more fun to use as it’s nimbler.

+1

Too many have this impression that the most expensive things must be the best in class in every category. That couldn’t be further from the truth.

Obviously TF does not have F&F on the top of his product design goals, it’s just delivering the best HT and cutting ability. And he is comfortable with the price he is charging as people are buying his knives.

If you want a TF with excellent F&F you can go ahead and buy one of their 150th Anniversary knives and that comes with better than Shig Kitaeji F&F. It’s not that they can’t do it, it’s just not their priority for their regular line knives.

Back