Other Thai beef jerky

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaincaed

(____((__________()~~~
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry the image is blurry, there's a .pdf attached with better quality.

I find that truly good jerky recipes are hard to come by, but this one seems near the top for me.

Jerky.png

Attachments

• Thai Beef Jerky 2020.03.16.pdf
    142.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
I just made this. Turned out very nice indeed, thank you! It's different from the standard American-style jerky. Definite Asian flavour component to it, but very much true to character, regardless.

"Yep, that's jerky alright, if I've ever eaten any…"
IMG_3552.jpg

I just made this. Turned out very nice indeed, thank you! It's different from the standard American-style jerky. Definite Asian flavour component to it, but very much true to character, regardless.

"Yep, that's jerky alright, if I've ever eaten any…"
View attachment 74397
That looks so good. I've never made jerkey. When the recipe says set the oven to 170F and prob the door open a bit, should I try to keep the temp at 170, or just set the oven at 170 and let the heat leak out without looking at the temp?

When the recipe says set the oven to 170F and prob the door open a bit, should I try to keep the temp at 170, or just set the oven at 170 and let the heat leak out without looking at the temp?

I think your oven's sensor would keep the temp at 170 and compensate for the lost heat via the open door. It will just have to cycle on more often to maintain the temp.

Hey I'm glad you liked it!
I set the oven and forget it. It's not an exact temp issue, you mostly want airflow and enough heat to drive off moisture with out cooking. If it goes lower, let the oven go lower! I've found even 20 degrees more starts cooking the meat rather than dehydration. Ok in a time pinch, but it's tastier if it's slow.

Last edited:
Have you tried this in a food dehydrator? Or only the oven? If so, I'm curious how long it took with the lower dehydrator temp. Jerky has been difficult to nail down for me. Always seem a little too dry when I pull it out.

I found it when I use the oven it definitely cooks it a little bit instead of just dehydrating it. I just remember that when it’s warm it’s more flexible even when it’s fully done. If I wait for it to get firm like I would expect it to be at room temperature then it’s overcooked.

This seems like an excellent recipe, I am trying it as we speak. Marinated a few pounds of top round and have it dehydrating at 170°F.

I wanted to ask some questions for discussion regarding jerky in general.

What are your thoughts on using MSG?

What are your thoughts on using sodium nitrite? Is there a usage rate?

Every recipe I've read recommends at least a multi-hour marinating time, up to 24 hours. Why did you decide on such a short 30 minute period? Did you really find the meat was become too tenderized? If so, what cuts were you using?

What are your thoughts on using MSG?
I've never used MSG with jerky. It's an interesting idea though. I expect that it'll do what it always does: enhance flavour and add umami.

What are your thoughts on using sodium nitrite? Is there a usage rate?
I use 2 g (~½ tsp) of cure #1 per kilogram of meat.

Every recipe I've read recommends at least a multi-hour marinating time, up to 24 hours.
I recently made this jerky, and I think it's delicious! It comes out much softer and wetter than typical jerky. Because there is no nitrite (which is a preservative) and because the meat still contains a fair bit of moisture, I kept it in the fridge and ate it over the next two or three days. (I suspect that the jerky would go off eventually, so better eat it quickly, or freeze it.)

Every recipe I've read recommends at least a multi-hour marinating time, up to 24 hours. Why did you decide on such a short 30 minute period? Did you really find the meat was become too tenderized? If so, what cuts were you using?
I've found that when you slice thin, you get no more flavor with more time, but you lose texture as the acid and oil work away at the meat fibers. A full 24 hrs is common to see in recipes but I found it made the meat grainy. Also the flavors aren't as bright.

Hope it turns out well!

I've found that when you slice thin, you get no more flavor with more time, but you lose texture as the acid and oil work away at the meat fibers. A full 24 hrs is common to see in recipes but I found it made the meat grainy. Also the flavors aren't as bright.

Hope it turns out well!

How thin is "thin"?

Came out awesome, thanks for the recipe! It's really addicting. My dinner was just pieces of jerky.

Not sure about oil. If you eat the jerky soon after making it, not a problem. But storing it would be problematic; the oil will go rancid in short order.

Fish sauce might work. I’d try with a test piece.

For the nitrite, 2.5 g cure #1 per kg of meat is safe to eat and will reliably prevent botulinum growth. Cure for at least 24 hours when using nitrite.

This is for an equilibrium dry cure. In a brine, I’d increase the cure #1 to 5 g per litre of water.

Last edited:
Not sure about oil. If you eat the jerky soon after making it, not a problem. But storing it would be problematic; the oil will go rancid in short order.

Fish sauce might work. I’d try with a test piece.
Doh! I just realised that the original recipe above uses both :)

But, as I said, for jerky that is meant to be stored for some time, I’d avoid oil. I’d also use sodium nitrite and dry it more than for the recipe above.

I just made another batch of this. (That's the third time I've used this recipe.)
IMG_4425.jpeg

I had two of these sheets, and some meat left over that wouldn't fit. Rather than dirtying a third sheet, I decided to turn the left-overs into a stir fry. That worked out very well. Beautiful spicy flavours, definitely something I'd do again, jerky or no jerky :)
IMG_4424.jpeg

Latest posts

Back