The Elephant (not) in the Room

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s what I’m saying. It makes no sense. It’s a terrible business model.
This is already a bit of a niche to begin with though. Most people don't know that their Henkels or Wusthoff is low on the scale for overall performance. They work adequately enough not to question them or ponder their shortcomings. Plus, for many people, if they don't see a product on a store shelf, or in an ad, it may as well not exist.

I've never shown anyone one of my knives slicing through a potato just on its own weight, which was not impressed and compelled to want one, regardless of sex.

Maybe it's just a marketing problem and knife related advertising isn't being directed at women.

Sounds like dinosaur logic. There are so many incredible knives out there using these exotic steels. Why settle for meatloaf?
Meatloaf can be awesome, but the coup de maître is in the gravy.

LOU0192.jpg

Not really my style, plus a chest hair fire and crispy nipples doesn't sound like a good time.

five minutes in and still lol!

Sounds like dinosaur logic. There are so many incredible knives out there using these exotic steels. Why settle for meatloaf?

The simple reality is some of the greatest meals in the world are created with knives we would consider crap. For many cooks, if it cuts it works. They simply don't care to know about the latest super steel awesome knife. The focus is on the food, not the implement making it.

A Meatloaf knife can take the knocks of a commercial kitchen, with little maintenance, and can hold an edge that will still kind of cut stuff.

edit; most chefs are on fairly low wages too, hence a cheap knife is a good one. The knives that most chefs bring to me for sharpening are low budget, if it's a Zwilling or Wusthof they think they are at the top of the knife game.

Not really my style, plus a chest hair fire and crispy nipples doesn't sound like a good time.
That's what leather aprons are for. Now go get dehydrated, lather on some baby oil, don that supple apron and get fixing this problem! Or at least update your Tinder profile!

I actually have done a fair bit of forging in a similar state(minus the baby oil), as summer is too damn hot here.

Why own a Porsche of any caliber if you’re not a member of PCA, and enjoy track time
… because, were I still making money, I’d rather have a 911 than a Vette?

Practicalities being what they are, I rock a Honda.

What I do think might be at play (although I'm reluctant to 'generalize across whole genders') is that it seems like males have a higher tendency to acquire a gearfetish over a hobby.
Not saying this is wrong, but anecdotally made me think of how my dad and my wife had a friendly competition going on with photography, the 'winner' being who had more pictures accepted and marketed by stock photography websites. Along with this competition was a lot of gear envy and each trying to stay ahead of the other gear-wise. My dad passed in 2008, so thanks for the good nostalgia!

The knives that most chefs bring to me for sharpening are low budget, if it's a Zwilling or Wusthof they think they are at the top of the knife game.
I think a well taken care of Zwilling or Wustof is a step up (maybe several) from the knives a lot of folks use regularly. I remember cooking for an event where I had a bunch of volunteers helping me and one asked if I had a good knife he could use. I gave him my 8" Le Cordon Bleu Wusthof, which I kept pretty sharp. When he returned it he commented, "wow, that's the nicest knife I've ever used, thanks." and I remember smiling and thinking, "oh, my sweet summer child..."

Bruh i like 165 santoku!
Sissy!

It had to be said, since apparently most of us think that and the only reason we use longer knives is due to insecurity and need to win. Has nothing to do with them being more comfortable or more efficient for some.

It is always amazing to me how some try to explain perceived inequalities, generalizations and stereotypes by generalizing and stereotyping. Some believe that they have it all figured out and if only the rest were as enlightened as them all would be different. It is too bad they fail to recognize in themselves believes and behaviors they claim others to have. Maybe projection is the issue here, people tend to think that they know what others are thinking because that is what they would think in a similar situation, but this is not always the case.

Different people like different things. I like messing with knives, always have, all sorts of knives. Kitchen knives are the most useful of knives in my life, so I tend to mess with these, but I have a boatload of others too. I couldn't care less if I had more than others, or if mine were longer or shorter or heavier. I have had all sorts of knives and some shapes, weights, and lengths work best for me in my environment. This is all, there is no other explanation. I've messed with knives before forums and before discussing them with anyone. I like high alloy steels, not because that makes me more of a man, but because they perform better in almost all cases.

Exactly my 25+ years experience too, I was talking to an older chef last week and he said he's not into knives, "all ya need is a Vic chef knife".

I've seen both camps.
Also the bad-ass, self-secure chefs will appreciate nice knives, but can pick up any old knife to get through the prep list in half the time we can.

Last edited:
After quite some time because I’m a little slow, I realized that this is a forum for incels who don’t or can’t cook (sorry exceptions who prove the rule, but it’s true), who can’t sharpen (edge following? W-tf), and for gun nuts who also fetishize kitchen knife-shaped objects. Also idiots who fall for influence campaigns on gas stoves.

This forum is not friendly toward women. Maybe they don’t care. I don’t know, but I do know that my wife was convinced of the value of good knives when her apples didn’t brown after cutting. Focusing on benefits rather than sperging on things would likely help. Women cook. Women don’t fetishize knives.

It’s really a shame because there are some really good (mostly dudes) who know their stuff and are helpful and it gets buried in all the rest.

Still better than Reddit though.

Last edited:
After quite some time because I’m a little slow, I realized that this is a forum for incels who don’t or can’t cook (sorry exceptions who prove the rule, but it’s true), who can’t sharpen (edge following? W-tf), and for gun nuts who also fetishize kitchen knife-shaped objects. Also idiots who fall for influence campaigns on gas stoves.

This forum is not friendly toward women. Maybe they don’t care. I don’t know, but I do know that my wife was convinced of the value of good knives when her apples didn’t brown after cutting. Focusing on benefits rather than sperging on things would likely help. Women cook. Women don’t fetishize knives.

It’s really a shame because there are some really good (mostly dudes) who know their stuff and are helpful and it gets buried in all the rest.

I don’t know about any of that other crap, but counter to popular belief it is possible to sharpen a knife edge following. Not necessarily how I do it or I would even recommend, but many good sharpeners get great results. Many ways to do it and your statement that someone doesn’t know how to sharpen just because they sharpen differently from you makes me question the rest. Why is there a need to insult and belittle anyone whom presumably doesn’t agree with you? What happened to keeping an open mind and respecting opinions different from yours? I believe the forum is apathetic to gender, all that are interested in kitchen knives are welcomed. Kitchen knives are the main focus of the forums with cooking close second given what these knives are used for and sharpening right there too, given that the knives need to be sharpened sometimes. What precisely is the issue that some here are trying to resolve?

Sorry you feel that way. You’ve obviously been around much longer, but that’s not my impression at all. The What’s Cooking thread is a testament to how many good cooks are here. I’d say the large majority here are married — hopefully happily — so I’m not sure how incel fits in. And I could give a rat’s ass about guns, other than I don’t like seeing them.

I have a friend, a damned good cook and art collector, who’s joining this week and also, yes, a woman. So be cool.

Last edited:
Back