The End Game Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Six thousand years ago somebody made this. Oh man I’d like to have lunch with him. This is predynastic eatingtools

View attachment 321999
I said that absolute sharpness thing above but also functional tool. It's just wild. Proto-man's discovery of sharpening is speculated as a primary cause to the Quaternary Megafauna Extinction Event because pointy sticks are just *that* good. And then we stepped that up to tools like this knife that are fine-edged/consistent/durable enough to perform functional surgery. Like, *whoa*.

I started with the WinCo version of a Dexter (thinned to zero and gifted by my dad), bought shiny and expensive but shockingly worse than my WinCo knives, discovered I kinda hate carbon steel in the kitchen, went nuts with Gingas, got some Vics, and am now on... Kiwis. Please help. There has to be more than sandpaper-sharpened Kiwis 🥲
Solution: Contact some New Zealandic[?] bladesmiths about some genuine Kiwi knives.

I'm aware so far of @Skye Eilers Knives here on the forum; there are likely others. Maybe @bsfsu (who is a vendor local to that area) can point you to a few in his region.

Do you think this would be a valid substitute for a Global then, if your interest isn't about the metallic handles? (Assuming you are righty.)

https://www.korin.com/HSU-PIFGY-240
Why seek a substitute when the real McCoy is easily accessible?
My interest isn’t about metal handles, but about maker, and design of arguably the most tattooed knife around.
I’ve never met a kitchen knife I wouldn’t try.
IMG_3011.jpeg

IMG_3012.jpeg

Last edited:
I started with the WinCo version of a Dexter (thinned to zero and gifted by my dad), bought shiny and expensive but shockingly worse than my WinCo knives, discovered I kinda hate carbon steel in the kitchen, went nuts with Gingas, got some Vics, and am now on... Kiwis. Please help. There has to be more than sandpaper-sharpened Kiwis 🥲 Maybe Kom Kom...

Consider the PM offerings from Akifusa:

https://www.epicedge.com/shopdispla...xact=&atleast=&without=&cprice=&searchfields=

Also, consider commissioning something from Michael @Knot Handcrafted :

https://www.knothandcrafted.com/

Thanks, @Qapla' and @HumbleHomeCook 😀 I have this for a 'nice' cleaver. Regrinding a WinCo by hand is more for skill and connection to my roots 😀 Am 2nd generation Chinese American and WinCo cleavers gave my family a new life after the Cultural Revolution.

Edit: Oof. I misunderstood completely. Customs *are* a different game, huh. That would open many options but design is not really my thing, unfortunately 🥲
20240211_204129-COLLAGE.jpg

Thanks, @Qapla' and @HumbleHomeCook 😀 I have this for a 'nice' cleaver. Regrinding a WinCo by hand is more for skill and connection to my roots 😀 Am 2nd generation Chinese American and WinCo cleavers gave my family a new life after the Cultural Revolution.

Edit: Oof. I misunderstood completely. Customs *are* a different game, huh. That would open many options but design is not really my thing, unfortunately 🥲
View attachment 322032
Ashi Hamono and their Ginga's are well-reputed in general on the forum. If you seek another knife, then I'd recommend starting a recommendation post on the main forum; there are a lot of aficionados of Chinese-style knives on the forum who can give you ideas of what to look for and who to contact.

@HumbleHomeCook's idea of powder-metallurgy steels is a good one if edge retention is something you're looking for.

Solution: Contact some New Zealandic[?] bladesmiths about some genuine Kiwi knives.

I'm aware so far of @Skye Eilers Knives here on the forum; there are likely others. Maybe @bsfsu (who is a vendor local to that area) can point you to a few in his region.
@Skye Eilers Knives @Cooking Steel @InnerWild are all NZ knife makers on the forum, there's also a good FB group "New Zealand Blacksmiths & Knife makers".
edit; I think there might be more on the forums too.

Unfortunately the Auckland Blade Show isn't happening this year😥 but there is links to lots of makers.

https://www.aucklandbladeshow.nz/

For example. Finally getting that yanick honyaki made me feel like

View attachment 322780
Truly endgame knife and maybe a kamon big square for me one day…

Have not entered the twisted / wrought steel phase yet… so my wallet is safe!

That being said does the texture on wrought steel ever create substantial drag? Kinda like heavily etched dammys? Or is it kinda neutral like ku.

That being said does the texture on wrought steel ever create substantial drag? Kinda like heavily etched dammys? Or is it kinda neutral like ku.
I’m sure it can. I haven’t personally run into that on my wrought knives though. Similarly to Damascus it depends on exactly how it was etched, the depth, and the polish after.

The ones I have tried, not at all and i think it actually helps with food release

Back