The End Game Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m currently waiting for my turn at a custom Edward Mayhew (yes I’ll be taking polls to see what I should get). Will that be my final piece?

Endgame isn't a knife, it's a state of mind, but Eddie's stuff is certainly good enough to be a logical endpoint to the hunt for better performance. But I could say the same about at least a half dozen other makers. Once you have one really top-notch performer everything past that is just slightly different sets of tradeoffs plus aesthetics and stories.

anthony-bourdain-roadrunner-FT-BLOG0621-1-079f51a041c04cf9b07890ce30884022.jpg

For me… some, if not most of the reason why I kind of stopped buying knives (I am currently searching for one particular) was because I started making knives for a brief moment. Found out what I really liked and how I could accomplish that myself. That took most of the excitement out of the buying part.
I’m now currently down to three knives that absolutely satisfy me needs. I don’t need more and I’m not a collector, so the urge just isn’t there.

In the watch department, I’ve owned +50 Rolex watches. Was there a grail - sure, but it’s a Patek I just can’t afford 😂 But I consider that a COMPLETELY different game than knives.

Hahaha. FWIW, I Photoshopped the wa handle onto the Global. My reason for wanting to try a Global is that it's an iconic knife design.

That sort of thing is out there if you really seek it. No photoshop needed.

https://www.ichimonji.co.jp/products/detail.php?product_id=397

I was like "damn I need to stop buying knives and replace my mountain bike fork" and then I saw what I wanted was $800-1100 and went back to perusing KnifeJapan

So no pics of the 33-layer titanium-aluminum damascus mtb with magnolia Wa handlebars?

Anyways, back on topic:
I'm actually in the process of finalizing my collection of trad-j knives. I believe I have the usuba and deba planned out so far, but still need a lot more usage practice and sharpening practice overall.

Last edited:
You endgame knives are two Globals?!
Hahahaha! If you read my initial post I’d mentioned the nonexistent concept of an endgame knife as a collector, that I’ll always find a direct to collect. Yes, quite interested in trying out the iconic Global—I’m sure many here have tried one, but I’ve not. I’m not chasing knives that perform better than what I already have, since I’ve no issues with my current knives.

Hahahaha! If you read my initial post I’d mentioned the nonexistent concept of an endgame knife as a collector, that I’ll always find a direct to collect. Yes, quite interested in trying out the iconic Global—I’m sure many here have tried one, but I’ve not. I’m not chasing knives that perform better than what I already have, since I’ve no issues with my current knives.
I've tried a few. They're decent knives. Like a Wusthof or Henckles. Could do better, could do worse. I wasn't particularly fond of the handle, but that's more of a personal preference, than something being wrong with them.

Yes, quite interested in trying out the iconic Global—I’m sure many here have tried one, but I’ve not. I’m not chasing knives that perform better than what I already have, since I’ve no issues with my current knives.
"the iconic Global?"

Do you especially enjoy deburring? Do you seek out knives that skate over your sharpening stones as though they were an ice rink?

Yes? Then you'll love 'em. But if you actually want to sharpen them for real, I suggest diamonds.

I've tried a few. They're decent knives. Like a Wusthof or Henckles. Could do better, could do worse. I wasn't particularly fond of the handle, but that's more of a personal preference, than something being wrong with them.
I’ve also never tried a knife with the Kramer profile, had considered the Kramer-Zwelling, 52100, at Sur Le Table. The shape is so different from everything I have.

I’ve also never tried a knife with the Kramer profile, had considered the Kramer-Zwelling, 52100, at Sur Le Table. The shape is so different from everything I have.
If you go that route, the 10 inch has a much better profile, in my opinion.

If you go that route, the 10 inch has a much better profile, in my opinion.

lowkey looks like an elf shoe

ElfShoes8-5bb146a7cff47e0026275d7d.jpg

For me… some, if not most of the reason why I kind of stopped buying knives (I am currently searching for one particular) was because I started making knives for a brief moment. Found out what I really liked and how I could accomplish that myself.
What kinds of knives do you make?

Did… Long story short. Wrought iron with mostly 26C3 core steel.
It’s a local guy I know who does the blacksmith part and I used to polish and do handles if needed.

I started with the WinCo version of a Dexter (thinned to zero and gifted by my dad), bought shiny and expensive but shockingly worse than my WinCo knives, discovered I kinda hate carbon steel in the kitchen, went nuts with Gingas, got some Vics, and am now on... Kiwis. Please help. There has to be more than sandpaper-sharpened Kiwis 🥲 Maybe Kom Kom...

I started with the WinCo version of a Dexter (thinned to zero and gifted by my dad), bought shiny and expensive but shockingly worse than my WinCo knives, discovered I kinda hate carbon steel in the kitchen, went nuts with Gingas, got some Vics, and am now on... Kiwis. Please help. There has to be more than sandpaper-sharpened Kiwis 🥲 Maybe Kom Kom...
Have you considered knapping?

Have you considered knapping?
Like... with chert? That knapping?

Edit: Fr tho... Sharpening and edged tools are both so simple that chimpanzees can do it and so complicated that we haven't improved on absolute sharpness since the stone age. Baffling.

Time to try heavier knives, tho truth be told I was never a fan of Kiwi, bought multiple to try out but just never as sharp as I want them to be… the edge keep failing

Like... with chert? That knapping?

Edit: Fr tho... Sharpening and edged tools are both so simple that chimpanzees can do it and so complicated that we haven't improved on absolute sharpness since the stone age. Baffling.
You wanna work your way up to obsidian. It is the honyaki of stone knives.

Time to try heavier knives, tho truth be told I was never a fan of Kiwi, bought multiple to try out but just never as sharp as I want them to be… the edge keep failing
I actually think something like this is where I'll end up... I have the knives I want, really, *except* the knife that my dad makes. I'm going to revisit at some point with a new WinCo and see where it takes me.

Back