The knives of our wives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From top to bottom, these are the only knives that really get used (in order of usage, most usage at the top!):

Masamoto CT 135mm petty
Victorinox parer
Eden VG10 120mm petty
Victorinox 180mm chef
Sakai Takayuki 150mm honesuki
Henckels Pro S 200mm chef

Longer/bigger is deemed too dangerous... It's been a source of mild frustration for me that this is in part due to not having learnt proper technique, even though we both spend a lot of time cooking, and the first decent knife we bought - the Masamoto pictured, which is still going very strong! - we bought together on a trip to Tokyo in 2007; it's only after buying it that I learnt to use a knife properly. That said, she "get's it" and the Masamoto is still overwhelmingly the most used knife and it's a very decent petty that's kept nice and sharp. Also happy that the honesuki is both well used and used well ;-).

View attachment 83296

Psyched to see a honesuki in this thread. I have a friend that uses one actually, but as a main knife...

so who's wife is using this shig?
full

i got your back. we will be severely out numbered on their turf, but i'm positive we can overwhelm them with our toxic masculinity and overbearing straight male dominance.

I just joined my wives purse forum to complain about not being included being a man.

As a man with some traditionally-feminine hobbies like flower gardening and nail painting, I've never felt excluded or unsafe in those communities. I wish I could say the same for my more conventionally masculine hobbies like video games and knives.

It was suggested in the gentlest of terms that this discussion might be a bit exclusionary, and y'all have responded with dismissive teasing and chest-thumping. Take a breath?

As a man with some traditionally-feminine hobbies like flower gardening and nail painting, I've never felt excluded or unsafe in those communities. I wish I could say the same for my more conventionally masculine hobbies like video games and knives.

It was suggested in the gentlest of terms that this discussion might be a bit exclusionary, and y'all have responded with dismissive teasing and chest-thumping. Take a breath?
Nah, but thanks.

It's hard to choose which side I dislike more. Telling someone their words are "not OK" is an attempt at public shaming, and telling them what they "should" say instead is an attempt at policing self-expression. But responding with histrionic trolling is petty, childish, and only reveals your own insecurity and fragility without making a coherent point.

If I had more sense I wouldn't post this at all, but I'm sick of the same constant stream of garbage on social media... So, for the thought-police: using shame to enforce inclusion is inherently exclusionary and counter-productive. Modeling the behavior you'd like to see is not only more effective but also less authoritarian. And for the reactionary man-babies: your antics and lack of coherent thought turn everyone who might agree with you against you. Use your words.

c95.png

I would apologize for further derailing this thread, but it feels like the wheels have already come off the bus. If the supposed position of both groups is to include as many people as possible in a fun community, then we have all failed, including me. But sometimes difficult things need to be addressed to get to a better place.

Anyway....

I’ve tried a few times to get my wife to show some interest in my other blades. It’s inspiring seeing other members‘ partners enjoy their knives, and then not object as much to the purchasing of more knives. But then she might start cooking more, which would mean I would get to cook less, which would be terrible!

I had a girlfriend once a long time ago who liked to pick up my Shun cleaver after drinking. Until somewhat recently, I still had a copy of the book “World War Z” that had huge love-gashes in it.

Anyway....

I’ve tried a few times to get my wife to show some interest in my other blades. It’s inspiring seeing other members‘ partners enjoy their knives, and then not object as much to the purchasing of more knives. But then she might start cooking more, which would mean I would get to cook less, which would be terrible!

I had a girlfriend once a long time ago who liked to pick up my Shun cleaver after drinking. Until somewhat recently, I still had a copy of the book “World War Z” that had huge love-gashes in it.
does she have any missing toes?

My wife basically took over ownership of the shig western petty. But her next purchase has been decided- the kochi stainless v2 180 petty. For ever she was only about Takayuki dammy, but we’ve finally evolved. And that’s ok.

Back