The Knives of Yesteryear

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Fujiyama period was a little-known era in Japanese history, spanning from late July to early August of 1914, when Emperor Taisho ascended Mount Fuji, briefly making it the seat of imperial power.
Sweet little history lesson.
What can tell us about the HD2 period?

Tojiro DP used to be the standard starter rec

When Hoss put out the ITK I remembered hitting refresh a hundred times to get one of the first batch

Carters were reasonable money and solid performers

Mizunos were the single bevel of choice and put out some 240 gyutos that were high on my wishlist

Fishandpoi was starting the custom rehandle trend

Misono Dragon
Suien VC cleaver
Masamoto virgin
Hattori forum
Kikuichi ITK
Hiromoto AS
Yusuke extra thin or extra hard or extra whatever
Zwilling twin cermax
CCK 1303
Yoshikane tsuchime
Blazen
Dojo
Itou
Forgot all about Dojo. Those were the jam. Still have a Dojo paring knife.

3EC37D65-34ED-4BCC-9C49-DB9A2278E88C.jpeg
E2C93318-B111-49FD-B5C4-4AFD1341C686.jpeg

In the olden days you used to be able to go to parties where the piles of sweet knives got out of control. And pass arounds and loaners would find you home alone with 15 knives to get acquainted with and compare.

Ugh, I miss mine. Got the little guy at Japan Woodworker’s storefront. Gifted away. I didn’t think they would become impossible to find.

Which Dojo are y'all's talking about? Hayashi or Kobayashi?

03AE8541-1A5B-400C-A459-6528392F4068.jpeg

Speaking of Salty and his influence..
Here’s a good one. On the bottom the original white steel Mizuno Honyaki Gyuto. Maybe the genesis of forum obsession with honyaki gyutos? A 2014? Masamoto KS in the middle and a pre makers mark Mario Ingoglia on the top. It seems none of these knives are quite like this anymore.

Last edited:
View attachment 92344
Speaking of Salty and his influence..
Here’s a good one. On the bottom the original white steel Mizuno Honyaki Gyuto. Maybe the genesis of forum obsession with honyaki gyutos? A 2014? Masamoto KS in the middle and a pre makers mark Mario Ingoglia on the top. It seems none of these knives are quite like this anymore.

There’s that honyaki mizuno I was on about, still want one!

Apologies for digging up an old thread, but I basically stopped posting for about 6 years. Last time I was still around, Delbert Early, Pierre Rodrigue, Mario Ingoglia, BIll Burke, HHH, Devin Thomas, Marko Tsourkan and Will Catcheside were all vendors here.

The Carbonext was the new hotness and 210 sujis/line knives were the next big thing. Konosuke HD, Nenox G Type, Suisin Inox Honyaki were all highly regarded. Here's a screenshot of the forum from March 2015

Attachments

• SS.jpg
    SS.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 121
Apologies for digging up an old thread, but I basically stopped posting for about 6 years. Last time I was still around, Delbert Early, Pierre Rodrigue, Mario Ingoglia, BIll Burke, HHH, Devin Thomas, Marko Tsourkan and Will Catcheside were all vendors here.

The Carbonext was the new hotness and 210 sujis/line knives were the next big thing. Konosuke HD, Nenox G Type, Suisin Inox Honyaki were all highly regarded. Here's a screenshot of the forum from March 2015

Same here Steven, good to see you back. Let’s not forget my favorite American Master Smith, Michael Rader as well. It’s interesting how things fall in and out of fashion on web forums when it comes to hobbyists and collectors, which most of us are.

@Chuckles I remember a certain party/weekend in Minneapolis where Salty, Mario and I rented a camper to meet up with you, Mr. Drinky, Don Ngyuen and several others. What a blast that was lol!

Knives & chisels

Japanese natural stone & fish Deba. Fish cleaver from 1920's Janice grandfather fisherman Sampan tuna boats Hawaii.

My grandfather's boat building chisels. 1800's

My father's chisels for models for wind tunnels from 1939 to the beginning of space shuttle when he retired have over 100 of his chisels

Did quite a few wood relief with his tools. Most I sold or gave away this is one have left.
IMG_20210107_171740468.jpg
IMG_20210107_171953002.jpg
IMG_20210107_172446818.jpg

IMG_20210107_172821643.jpg
IMG_20210107_173522041_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210107_173649364.jpg

These were the Hawaii Sampan Tuna boats took this picture around 1970 as Corsair entering Kewalo basin as we were heading out to sea on the Kamome. The Kamome was a beautiful craft. Called a Haole Sampan because had traditional wooden Sampan hull & cabin cruiser topside with flying bridge. Went around the Islands in that boat including billfish tournaments in Kona Big Island of Hawaii.

In those days there were still the old Sampans.
Many had been lost at Sea. They worked well in heading sea, but with low sterns & single screw were tricky in very large following seas.
From early 20th century buy 1970's were on their way out. I supported a movement to save the last remaining wooden Sampan Tuna boat it ran out of steam nobody cared by the 2000's
The head of the movement argued that it would be saving important part of Hawaii's history. I agreed, but never happened.
IMG_20210108_110311276.jpg

IMG_20210108_110247201_HDR.jpg

Same here Steven, good to see you back. Let’s not forget my favorite American Master Smith, Michael Rader as well. It’s interesting how things fall in and out of fashion on web forums when it comes to hobbyists and collectors, which most of us are.

@Chuckles I remember a certain party/weekend in Minneapolis where Salty, Mario and I rented a camper to meet up with you, Mr. Drinky, Don Ngyuen and several others. What a blast that was lol!
Anyone remember when Don was offloading Doi's what seemed like weekly? Carving turkey with a 330 Hayate Yanagi, all Don's fault...... but I have alot of Keijiro's knives because of him, and one of Keijiros fathers.

Toyama knives with iron cladding falls into the category now imo (
the long discontinued or obscure items) soon all his knives due to his age. Stellar knives from a true master blacksmith.

Latest posts

Back