THE "KS" PROFILE GYUTO CONTENDERS

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pretty sure one sold here for 500$ on BST not long ago... apparently that wouldnt be crazy at all, people here are good at buying hype trains

I remember one being along those lines in asking price but no idea if it sold or not. Lots of razz about it though.

I remember one being along those lines in asking price but no idea if it sold or not. Lots of razz about it though.

There is one a page back on BST with custom handle for 650$... Only thing I see in response is SOLD..choo choo

pretty sure one sold here for 500$ on BST not long ago... apparently that wouldnt be crazy at all, people here are good at buying hype trains

Hype is fueled by supply and demand, and yes call it hype. But that’s how most of the commercial world works whether we like it or not. We just like to argue against it.

Not contradicting you as I respect your comments

that was a used one and there was a queue. new ones are selling for more than $500 behind scenes.

Hype is fueled by supply and demand, and yes call it hype. But that’s how most of the commercial world works whether we like it or not. We just like to argue against it.

Not contradicting you as I respect your comments

absolutely, i was not for or against it, more pointing out that people saying it would be crazy to charge that much for a new one clearly has missed that it has been going on already, and from watching the way this community works, that price is only going to keep going up until everyone has scratched that itch to try one.

When you have a long list of knives to try some will have to wait. You say, “someday”. Then someday comes and the knife is out of stock. Months go by, even years, but no signs anywhere. You’ve spoke to many retailers who have no estimated delivery time. You turn to translators, Japanese websites, auctions.. everywhere. You set up accounts for mail forwarding services because they don’t ship to your country. You've found it. You place an order for your KS3124, but alas, get an email notifying you it’s actually out of stock. You turn to the community, forum classifieds, but no one will sell theirs.

It’s not a hype train. I’ve wanted this knife since late 2012!

Then you've not been paying attention...they were fully available until about 2 years ago.
With all do respect, you must be kidding cats!

If you were paying attention you’d see this was one of the knives I said “someday” about. I thought it would always be available so I put off buying it.. like a few other knives that have been discontinued. I know I’m not the only one. In 2012 I wasn’t ready to take the dive into jknives.

I’d be interested in the percentage of people who own a KS vs those who comment on it. I actually own two. :spankarse:

Not a personal comment china, I realize you've owned at least your fair share of KS gyutos.

The resale of these knives have been all over the market, from sub $200 to $600 plus.

Yes, I misread your post, sorry. As to me, I've only owned one. I was blown away by the profile and steel but completely underwhelmed by the grind (and finish and handle). While I realize there was a lot of variation, I'll take a profile clone by a trusted maker any day.

Then you've not been paying attention...they were fully available until about 2 years ago.

Absolute truth here! These were always available! Most old timers know this. There were guys who liked these back in the day and I respect that. But most of this hype is from newbies who have no idea!

I never got the hype. I had one and sold it pretty quickly. I don’t regret letting it go at all. Well, maybe I should’ve held on to it and sold it for a lot more money haha....

I never got the hype. I had one and sold it pretty quickly. I don’t regret letting it go at all. Well, maybe I should’ve held on to it and sold it for a lot more money haha....

I just let one go(almost new) about 9 monthes ago for $290 Haha! I really don’t have the stomach to profit on knife stuff though. And kudos to whoever let go of a kato 240mm gyuto a couple weeks ago for $600.

Yes, I misread your post, sorry. As to me, I've only owned one. I was blown away by the profile and steel but completely underwhelmed by the grind (and finish and handle). While I realize there was a lot of variation, I'll take a profile clone by a trusted maker any day.
+1

Totally over rated and underwhelming compared to other French profile knives made by Japanese blacksmiths.

+2
The things that make the KS great among its fans is specs/measurements. A profile and distal taper can be easily recreated if someone wanted too. KS grind is mediocre, steel/heat treat definitely leaves room for improvement.

When you have a long list of knives to try some will have to wait. You say, “someday”. Then someday comes and the knife is out of stock. Months go by, even years, but no signs anywhere. You’ve spoke to many retailers who have no estimated delivery time. You turn to translators, Japanese websites, auctions.. everywhere. You set up accounts for mail forwarding services because they don’t ship to your country. You've found it. You place an order for your KS3124, but alas, get an email notifying you it’s actually out of stock. You turn to the community, forum classifieds, but no one will sell theirs.

It’s not a hype train. I’ve wanted this knife since late 2012!

And one was just sold last week in the other forum when one posted a WTB. I just got lucky also with a KS this week. A KKF member sold me one of his at a very, very reasonable price and it should be arriving Saturday. My long awaited KS is finally coming!

I purchased the KS off blueway. It’s a Masamoto. I’m going to try and trade it BNIB for a shig or Kato(plus cash)or something else... If I can’t find a trade partner, I’ll sell it here for the price I paid.

I purchased the KS off blueway. It’s a Masamoto. I’m going to try and trade it BNIB for a shig or Kato(plus cash)or something else... If I can’t find a trade partner, I’ll sell it here for the price I paid.

LOL, that's awesome. Knew someone here grabbed it, glad you got it! Who knows, may be the one.

I purchased the KS off blueway. It’s a Masamoto. I’m going to try and trade it BNIB for a shig or Kato(plus cash)or something else... If I can’t find a trade partner, I’ll sell it here for the price I paid.[/QUOTE

Glad you got it! I was going to do the same but my money has already been turning into too many ones and zeros lately ...

So you’re the lucky one, Craig. 😀

Thanks! My angle is to try and trade rare knife for rare knife whenever I receive the KS. If that doesn’t work out I’ll just throw everybody’s name in a hat and resell for the price I paid.

Picking a random name sounds very cool for selling a rare knife. Will give a chance to those that are not haunting the forums seemingly constantly, picking up all the rare knives.

Back