Thinning kurouchi edge knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DpC

Reaction score
I really like the look of kurouchi finish along the edge, I'm thinking of Tetsujin Tanryusen's in particular (probably my favourite looking, and by all accounts, great knifes). I'm just concerned that the first time I need to thin the knife it's going to remove all the kurouchi finish and spoil its good looks. Are my fears unfounded or is this unavoidable? Basically I'm going through a bit of a buying spurt and trying to find a reason not to pull the trigger on another acquisition (a Tanryusen)...

I can't tell if the edge is polished and presenting as dark gray or if it is etched. As @tostadas says, these knives don't have kurouchi but If you're referring to this area, then yes, you will absolutely remove it. Which if it is etched, I'd probably prefer as I find that etching can induce drag.

If you mean the banding, then not necessarily but you need to be real careful in your approach to keep things looking nice.

Just something to be aware of with clad (iron, soft steel & stainless) KU finish knives, if you are aiming at restoring the matte grey kasumi finish of the softer cladded area, the kurouchi finish itself can flake into the slurry and cause grief in the form of polished streaks in the kasumi finish.

I just finished work on a KU finish knife and had to wrack my brain for a while along the way to understand why I got major streakage, this, until I observed black spots appearing in the slurry which turned out to be flaked KU finish. To mitigate that I needed to work extra carefully and I still didn't end up with that great an end result. Passable, yeah, primo? Not even close.

Things turned a bit better after I forced a patina on the knife (iron clad so pretty much a must), so... not too miffed about that... would have been more of an issue if the knife in question would have been stainless-clad because the kasumi that you get with the stones is the end result you are going to be stuck with.

I have pretty vowed myself off from trying to prettify any KU finish knife in the future, it felt like such a major PITA and I couldn't really do much about it. Things might have been better if I had polishing powders meant for finishing, but no, I did not have any at hand...

Thanks for the answers - had no idea bout etching! I think that gives me enough reason to hold fire on that one 😅

Back