To Kippington gyuto owner who went to JKI

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I told Kippington about the knife. . .uh, for better or worse, and he would like to see pics of how the Kip gyuto he sent you is doing. I told him about it, so it's my doing. Kips a nice guy!

Thanks. Sorry if I'm overstepping.

Last edited:
Oh yeah I guess I'll tell the story. I was at JKI, and a guy brought in a kip for meetup. That's about as specific as I think I should get, you can DM for more details.

You met up with a stranger? And you're looking for them? How did you guys arrange the meetup to begin with? Did the knife in question look like pizza or bread knife?

Just met by chance at the store. He came there for a meetup separate to myself going to the store. Didn't mean to keep in contact, but I mentioned it casually to kip, and he was curious, but didn't ask/need me to. I posted this casually, and uh, the rest has just happened.

Damage -- uh, honestly not bad at all. Just a small chip from shipping to him and a small tip damage, which in the grand scheme of things, is tame. Normal kind of oops. Otherwise, everything about the knife looked minty, even no patina. My reason posting this was just to kinda nudge the guy a little to connect with Kip because he was worried about the damage. The damage is not that bad! Though its the sort of stuff the guy wanted to work though on his own, too, to learn how knives are made, so I can see where he's coming from. It's not like it's a bend or a crack. . . In the future though, I dont think I'll post something like this again.

Last edited:
Just met by chance at the store. He came there for a meetup separate to myself going to the store. Didn't mean to keep in contact, but I mentioned it casually to kip, and he was curious, but didn't ask/need me to. I posted this casually, and uh, the rest has just happened.

Damage -- uh, honestly not bad at all. Just a small chip from shipping to him and a small tip damage, which in the grand scheme of things, is tame. Normal kind of oops. Otherwise, everything about the knife looked minty, even no patina. My reason posting this was just to kinda nudge the guy a little to connect with Kip because he was worried about the damage. The damage is not that bad! Though its the sort of stuff the guy wanted to work though on his own, too, to learn how knives are made, so I can see where he's coming from. It's not like it's a bend or a crack. . . In the future though, I dont think I'll post something like this again.

Sounds like you’re doing a good deed. And what knife enthusiast wouldn’t want a chance to chat with the guy who made his knife? I know I would! That’s partly why so many are invested in those massdrops, too.

I have the trifecta from him but would probably still throw my hat in the ring for a mass drop, probably a WP for my parents or brother (they already have some very good knives from me). Jules seems like a great guy so I am happy for his success, the knives he makes are worth the wait. For the quality of the knife the price is still reasonable.

I got on his waiting list in April 2020 and still haven’t heard back since then. I’m patient though and later is better than never.

Ya, I got on in Dec 2019. The man is busy, which is good! 👍 Have tried a couple used ones in the meantime. Once you go feather, you'll never find better.

Yea I actually appreciate that he has a list so that everyone has an opportunity to buy his knives. It’s just a matter of time. For many makers I already gave up the fast and furious checkout game.

I think my wait on BloodRoot was 4.5 years. Love the knives but I definitely would just keep doing the monthly lottery if I had to do it again. Whatever Jules wait is (without monthly lotteries) it is worth the wait. Let's be honest, most of us have 1-3 lists that we are on.

Latest posts

Back