Toyama 240mm gyuto bought from JNS is not straight

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well sometimes it could be difficult to get a response from Maksim through email. I actually sent him 2 emails in January about my failed return of a Tanaka Dammy arrived with broken tip and got no response. I just gave up as it’s not worth it.

sometimes i wish i could have a bent knife, then i could bend it back.
i once bent a steel pipe.

Stainless cladding is soft so it will be easy to straighten.

Hoss

Can we ask this question: Obviously the customer did not expect any of this and is very upset by it. Obviously they are having buyers remorse. Question is: should they know or expect the knife to have shall we say, peculiarities? Should they have asked questions? Should it have been disclosed? I am guessing all of those questions have broad answers.

Even if we all agree that the knife is pretty much fine and such, but buyer being so unhappy that no explanation here would help, then should a I store take a return? provided knife is in same condition as it was shipped and customer pays shipping?

I do not know the buyer, but to me it seems like he probably had little experience with hand made Japanese kitchen knives and did not find certain - as you said 'peculiarities' - intuitive or logical. Nor the explanation that happened offline. He refused to return it what effectively ended the story.

I think with handmade knives seeming to become more popular, problems like this will arise. As you see on almost all knife sites, it says something like made from high carbon steel will rust. Maybe it’ll be wise for sites to post, handmade knives will have small variances blah blah blah.

I think with handmade knives seeming to become more popular, problems like this will arise. As you see on almost all knife sites, it says something like made from high carbon steel will rust. Maybe it’ll be wise for sites to post, handmade knives will have small variances blah blah blah.

JNS does have that exact message on the site...

I think there are two types of people in this world:
1. Those who get a new knife, go "oooh new toy/tool!", and immediately grab stuff to cut it with (perhaps without a dish to make in mind yet). If it performs weird somehow, then they'd inspect the knife to see what's up with it.

2. Those who, upon receipt of the knife, lay it on a flag surface to see if it's perfectly straight, do a couple rock chops of on their cutting board to check for dead stops along the edge, and try to cut paper to check the ootb sharpness.

I'm in group 1, because I have no impulse control and I really don't want wabi sabi to bias me against a knife's performance without, you know, actually cutting stuff with it. I truly don't know if any of my knives have a "curved" spine, but I do know that I like their performance.

I understand why some folks are in group 2: heck, they're dropping a lot of money on a knife, and that kind of money sets up expectations. Whether those expectations are realistic or not depends on each person and their experience with handmade knives.

I think there are two types of people in this world:
1. Those who get a new knife, go "oooh new toy/tool!", and immediately grab stuff to cut it with (perhaps without a dish to make in mind yet). If it performs weird somehow, then they'd inspect the knife to see what's up with it.

2. Those who, upon receipt of the knife, lay it on a flag surface to see if it's perfectly straight, do a couple rock chops of on their cutting board to check for dead stops along the edge, and try to cut paper to check the ootb sharpness.

I'm in group 1, because I have no impulse control and I really don't want wabi sabi to bias me against a knife's performance without, you know, actually cutting stuff with it. I truly don't know if any of my knives have a "curved" spine, but I do know that I like their performance.

I understand why some folks are in group 2: heck, they're dropping a lot of money on a knife, and that kind of money sets up expectations. Whether those expectations are realistic or not depends on each person and their experience with handmade knives.

I'm in group 1 lol. But I'll research, think, debate a purchase first. Mostly.

Back