Toyama Dammy DIY

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, it's not going to be a toyama, because even if you nail the grind its going to be missing a major factor... Ugh... The heat treat. Still a fun project that ill check it out. But if you start calling this a toyama dammy, im going to call you Ali Baba.

It’s not a Toyama, you happy?
Now beat it, get off my thread or I am going to call you a troll.

Of course, it's not going to be a toyama, because even if you nail the grind its going to be missing a major factor... Ugh... The heat treat. Still a fun project that ill check it out. But if you start calling this a toyama dammy, im going to call you Ali Baba.
To the ignore bin!

It’s not a Toyama, you happy?
Now beat it, get off my thread or I am going to call you a troll.
This is definetely not trolling. Toyama does a really good heat treat of blue #2 and to not act like thats a big part of the knife is ridiculous. Still a cool project. Geeze sensitive.

Thanks!!! If I ignore a potential troll, trying to be polite here, would he/she still be able to troll my posts?
Yup. All it means is that you won't see the post in full, but you'll still see the stub, telling you you can't see it. It's a pretty pointless exercise, TBH.

Yup. It's like Twitter, all it means is that you won't see them.
Its interesting, that we are on a knife forum that discusses the intricate details of knives, but for some reason we completely ignore basics like grind and heat treat when discussing what makes these sought after knives like shig and toyama. And want to call me a troll because i disagree.

Are you trying to profit off this project too?

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with trying to profit by making knives. But no for me, that’ll be a job, I do that at work. As a hobby, my goal is for fun, learning by doing, & meet my own needs, then try to be creative & contribute to the forum community at the same time.

My last two projects ended up being keepers. I still have a self-imposed rule of one-in one-out for my knife block. If I meet the goal of making it equal or better than my Toyama iron-clad, I’ll likely need to sell the Toyama in order to keep this. If I sell this instead, I’ll likely take a loss considering materials & many hours that I’ll be putting in.

Yup. All it means is that you won't see the post in full, but you'll still see the stub, telling you you can't see it. It's a pretty pointless exercise, TBH.

That’s too bad, I wish the ignored one won’t be able to post reply to the person & continue to harass after being told to beat it.

@ma_sha1 - consider taking a look at a Cris Anderson gyuto grind as well. He definitely utilizes a Kato-esque (perhaps even more aggressive) potato top profile and it works really well. I have some photos if that would be helpful, but I think seeing one in hand would be the ultimate.

Would love to see info. of the grind, trying one out would be ever better.

Its interesting, that we are on a knife forum that discusses the intricate details of knives, but for some reason we completely ignore basics like grind and heat treat when discussing what makes these sought after knives like shig and toyama. And want to call me a troll because i disagree.

20251D5E-4867-4544-A8F7-9DFF13318FBD.gif

I'm curious to see how you will achieve the potato. Please document your process. I'll be following as always!

Not fruitless, except when the ignored person is the newest AND last person to post on a previously read post.
Capture+_2020-09-11-20-50-21.png

Fwiw, I think everyone agrees that Toyama steel is great (well, except @panda), and that this knife is not going to be a Toyama. I think the reason @ma_sha1 was annoyed by your post is that *obviously* it’s not going to be a Toyama, it’s just an experiment he’s doing to try to replicate the grind, so why do you have to criticize his projects yet again. Just thought I should say something since noone actually responded to you indicating why they were upset. The memes are all funny, but they don’t help resolve arguments amicably.

Last edited:
If you’re not cutting up a Kikuryu to make this then the thread is no fun 😡😡😡

Fwiw, I think everyone agrees that Toyama steel is great (well, except @panda), and that this knife is not going to be a Toyama. I think the reason @ma_sha1 was annoyed by your post is that *obviously* it’s not going to be a Toyama, it’s just an experiment he’s doing to try to replicate the grind, so why do you have to criticize his projects yet again. Just thought I should say something since noone actually responded to you indicating why they were upset. The memes are all funny, but they don’t help resolve arguments amicably.

Thanks Ian, right on!

Yes, it’s a systematic behavior since the Shig. Kasumi project days, to outside that project, he always follows me with his negativity towards what I do. I can recall at least 10 bashing comments prior to this.

Then he adds if you don’t stop calling it Toyama, “I am gonna call you Ali Baba”, but butt hurt when I return it with if you don’t stop, I am gonna call you a troll. I was merely returning a dose of his own medicine.

If this is the first time, the second time, or even the third time, it wouldn’t have breached my tolerance limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back