Media ugliest. knife. ever.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first post here and what better way to start off than to show you the ugliest knife, by far, that I've ever seen.

The best part is. It's MINE :lol2: I'm sorry about the crappy cell phone pic. But that's all I've got.

attachment-4MEDXV-1.jpg

I don't know if you can see it. But the knife is slightly serrated in the first 3 inches or so. It also has a grooved thumb rest. I have no idea what you are supposed to use this knife for. But it sure is ugly :thumbsup:

Haha, i don't think so ;) It's made here in Sweden, and we traditionally don't eat that large steaks.:viking:

Might make a good one, tho..................

The grooves on the back are called "Jimping" it's for grip. Sortof.

Thank you for the info. I didn't know it's called that.

However, I don't think it's a filet knife either. Nor a boning knife. This because of the serrations i the front of the blade. They are small but they are there. I can't really see how the serrations would help you when you're filleting fish nor deboning a piece of meat. But i reckon your guess is as good as mine. Because I haven't got a clue :)

I do believe it may be a tomato knife -- Google found these photos of such things:

1207333249609.jpg

BO5700a.jpg

But these two from Amazon are even uglier:

21KSTidCpEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

216KSd4%2BD9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

But in quite good condition...:)
Isnt the maker Karlssen & Nilssen?
I have one small filleting knife and its so flexible, also the inox blades made of takes quite an edge.
Looks it better though

But in quite good condition...:)
Isnt the maker Karlssen & Nilssen?
I have one small filleting knife and its so flexible, also the inox blades made of takes quite an edge.
Looks it better though

No it's a maker named Pontus Holmberg from Eskilstuna. It's in stainless which means that it's probably made from 12C27. Most of the old Eskilstuna is made from 12C27 from sandvik. But Karlsson/Nilsson also came from Eskilstuna. So i would think that your knife also is made from 12C27.

Don't be knocking the cheese knife....I actually use mine all the time. Dang fine tool!

But while we are on the topic of the ugliest knife; I was cruising the CKTG site and looked at his best seller list. Yup, one of the top sellers is the Ken Onion Chef knife.

nestingknives1104040.jpg
[/IMG]
Not that ugly but interesting.

That's interesting. Looks like someone was trying to design the best way to get the most out of a sheet of steel, and wound up designing an art piece.

nestingknives1104040.jpg
[/IMG]
Not that ugly but interesting.
This graphic captures the concept a bit better, which is quite interesting:

412koCCFElL._AA300_.jpg

Available from Amazon for a mere $786.92: Deglon Meeting Knife Set

Here's the description:

The Deglon Meeting Knife Set is practical, durable and a work of art. Designed by Mia Schmallenbach and produced by Deglon, it won first prize in the 5th European Cutlery Design Award. This lovely set is made of high quality stainless steel and seemingly appears to be created from a single block of stainless steel. Each knife nests within the set. To remove each knife, simply press down near the tip of the blade and life knife away by the handle. Set includes a 3-1/4-inch paring knife, 5-1/4-inch utility knife, 8-inch chef knife, 8-3/4-inch slicer and matching stainless steel block. Occasionally, use a steel to sharpen. Hand wash and dry, recommended. Made in France by Deglon. Deglon - handcrafter of quality cutlery since 1821. Limited lifetime warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
France comes out with some very unique designs and profiles.

I can't imagine a pinch grip working very well with that knife.

^^^
Those Ken Onions knives are so friggin' stupid-looking. They seem like they were all engineered by people who have never cut anything in a kitchen. Knives for Microwavers to put out on display :flush:

I've got one of these in 9" along with a couple of other Ken Onions.

They are extremely comfortable in my hand and for me, a pleasure to use.

Have any of you blokes who rubbish these ever used them?

I had some. Sold them as a lot. One, an 8" slicer, was so incredibly silly in its design that it was nearly unusable. Never did figure out how to use it.

1213881811_HjivE-X3.jpg

I believe he was talking about how it looks, not how it uses. It looks like a knife designed to appeal to someone who has no appreciation for the job of a knife. It's like making a commuter car that is shaped like a chimpanzee.

I had some. Sold them as a lot. One, an 8" slicer, was so incredibly silly in its design that it was nearly unusable. Never did figure out how to use it.

I would never blame a design or product of any kind because I purchased it for it's looks which seems to be the case here.

I believe he was talking about how it looks, not how it uses. It looks like a knife designed to appeal to someone who has no appreciation for the job of a knife. It's like making a commuter car that is shaped like a chimpanzee.

Yes you're right, it is about looks. Why anyone would spend reasonable money purchasing on looks is beyond me. To judge something by its looks whether good or bad is ridiculous and generally ill-informed.

Haven't you heard the old saying "Never judge a book by its cover?

Will propably stay this way until they get dull :D

You may enjoy using dull knives mate, I prefer to keep mine sharp.

I can't understand how people can be negative when they have no experience &/or don't have enough smarts to figure out how to use something.

Like I said I enjoy using Shuns especially the Ken Onions. The bread knife has been dropped onto concrete without incident a couple of times yet one of the forums favourite makers knives chips cutting a leak.

So I got my 205mm Carter funayuki this week. At first the light weight (119g) threw me off, but I must admit that the light weight has grown on me a bit since then. I also like the short size. Since having a newborn in the house and doing the stay-at-home Dad thing, I find myself reaching for smaller knives these days. I'm not sure why, but it happens.

The knife was blistering sharp out of the box and could easily slice a dropped piece of thin advertisement paper in its descent. (Note: I did not take my clothes off to do this as Salty did.)

The contrast between the laminate/cladding and core steel is cool. The toothy patina edge looks similar to my hiro but a bit better.

So back to the chip.

I am making some stock for a carrot and mint risotto, and to make the stock I am chopping up a leek. So I slice the end of the dark stuff off and hit stone. Chip.

It isn't a bad chip, but a chip nonetheless. The worst thing was that it kept grabbing the cloth when I wiped the blade down. So after only a handful of hours of use, I chipped my Father's day gift. Oh well.

Strange thing is that it didn't bother me in the least bit. I guess I am just going to have to use the chip as an excuse to buy another knife ;)

k.

Hey Digs, don't take this stuff personally. I know people who like the Ken Onion feel too (though I don't care for it). And a lot more people (family, friends etc.) think I am crazy for liking wa handles.

And don't bring my chipped carter into this ;)

k.

First off, Digs, Welcome to KKF! Funny to me how much Aussie and Northern European interest there is in kitchen knives.

Yes you're right, it is about looks. Why anyone would spend reasonable money purchasing on looks is beyond me. To judge something by its looks whether good or bad is ridiculous and generally ill-informed.

Haven't you heard the old saying "Never judge a book by its cover?

I believe you are slaving under the assumption that this thread is a list of knife purchasing tips. Going with your analogy, we are like librarians discussing funny-looking book covers, not books.
I mean, come on, there's a Haslinger in this thread.

Back