Media ugliest. knife. ever.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Digs: I didn't buy the Shuns for their looks -- I bought them because I had read good things about them and because I got extremely good deals on them (e.g., the 8" slicer cost me $100 new). But after using them for a short while, it became obvious that they were inferior to both my good J-knives and even my old Wusthofs when it came to performance. And trust me, I have enough "smarts" and experience to figure out how to use a knife -- and to know when it doesn't perform well. In the case of the 8" slicer, the odd curve of the blade makes it ineffective when it comes to the one thing it's supposed to be for, namely slicing meat. My 300mm Hattori KF Sujihiki and even my old 10" Wusthof slicer simply do it more easily with more consistent results.

BTW, have you ever used a good Japanese culinary knife, or are you defending Shuns and belittling those who don't care for them simply because that's what you've purchased?

I love the product description-"perfect for gift giving"! Giving to who is my question!

Hey Digs, don't take this stuff personally. I know people who like the Ken Onion feel too (though I don't care for it). And a lot more people (family, friends etc.) think I am crazy for liking wa handles.

And don't bring my chipped carter into this ;)

k.

Onya K, couldn't help myself mate, I thought it was funny, no offense meant.

First off, Digs, Welcome to KKF! Funny to me how much Aussie and Northern European interest there is in kitchen knives.

I believe you are slaving under the assumption that this thread is a list of knife purchasing tips. Going with your analogy, we are like librarians discussing funny-looking book covers, not books.
I mean, come on, there's a Haslinger in this thread.

Digs: I didn't buy the Shuns for their looks -- I bought them because I had read good things about them and because I got extremely good deals on them (e.g., the 8" slicer cost me $100 new). But after using them for a short while, it became obvious that they were inferior to both my good J-knives and even my old Wusthofs when it came to performance. And trust me, I have enough "smarts" and experience to figure out how to use a knife -- and to know when it doesn't perform well. In the case of the 8" slicer, the odd curve of the blade makes it ineffective when it comes to the one thing it's supposed to be for, namely slicing meat. My 300mm Hattori KF Sujihiki and even my old 10" Wusthof slicer simply do it more easily with more consistent results.

BTW, have you ever used a good Japanese culinary knife, or are you defending Shuns and belittling those who don't care for them simply because that's what you've purchased?

Thanks Eamon, been a long time reader under the cover of darkness. I think any commonly used item no matter what it is would have followings worldwide with knives being no exception. Point taken on the book covers.

After reading what I wrote it may have come across as smart ar#y although that wasn’t my intent. I hope I didn’t offend anyone.

I have another interest that I’m more passionate about and it’s a hobby I’m much more experienced with [45 yrs] and reasonably well informed about. It too, has “pretty” as well as “ugly” on the immediate visual front yet looks have very little if any bearing on performance, I don’t think knives as well as many other products are any different. Far too often we see the “that looks nice” scenario, “I’ll have to get one” or because I/you like or dislike doesn’t mean a product is neither good nor bad. Individual taste varies and we should respect others tastes, after all us ugly blokes and sheilas would never pop our cherries. ****, I’ve got a face my mother disliked but I reckon I’m not a bad sort of a bloke.

Further to that I learnt a long time ago not to buy any product on someone else’s say so or recommendation as what’s right for one isn’t necessarily right for another. Doug, you’ve also had firsthand experience at this.

There’s nothing wrong with good honest criticism from experienced people but when it’s those merely getting on a bandwagon with no experience [which so often happens] and criticizing I find that rather annoying which is why I asked who’d actually used these knives.

Doug, yes I have used “good Japanese knives” mate. My intent as already mentioned wasn’t to belittle anybody. I actually like shuns as they suit my hand and style and therefore defend them from my experience. On the other hand, those who bag them without having used them are merely talking s#it and have little if any credibility as far as I’m concerned.

On a lighter note you’re bloody lucky you only paid a 100 smackers for your slicer, the parer is AU$195 here with the 10” Chef’s knife coming in at AU$375 and AU$380 for the “ugly cleaver”

Have a nice day fellas.
Cheers, Johnny

I just written my stories with shuns,but I backspaced it, lets just say i never held one and there was no santokus with hills on edges, no flaked heels on chef knives, edge of new wasnt so brittle that it failed on salmon. No, I never noticed.
I never notice also the pricetag.
Do you really really think you cannot get better performing knife at lower price?Especially when looks aint important?

I have a 10" Shun chef knife, although not an Onion. The edge has always been chippy. That said, I liked it more then the Wusthoff I had been using for years. But once I got my DT ITK 240 gyuto and Dave Martell-rehandled 240 Hiro gyuto I realized how much better a knife could perform, and how much better I like a flatter blade profile on a gyuto/ chef's knife.

I have a Ken Onion Shun bread knife. I bought it because it had the big rounded teeth as opposed to the sharp spiky serrations, was fairly short, and had the offset handle. Also, I got a used one off ebay for around $60. It has been used a lot and has done well, but the edge is prone to chips. Meant to send it back to Shun to get resharpened, but they have cancelled their free sharpening for life program. Oh well. I have a Tojiro ITK bread knife as well, so that sees more use than the KO does now.

I didn't know thaTt Shun had cancelled the free sharpening. I guess that says more than anything else could about the quality of their edges.

N11%20305.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RANDALL-KNI...ps=63&clkid=2191513088177726119#ht_4588wt_872

:rofl:
I've heard bogus ad copy, but I never thought I'd see a kitchen knife promoted for having a "heavy brass single hilt and wrist thong".

There may be a reason it's "non-catalog".

P.S. Oivind, I love your new avatar. It goes perfectly here.

+1 It's always suspicious when you have pictures of the handle from every angle but only the faces of the blade.

Perhaps there is a reason that this is not only probably the first non-catalog Randall that I have seen selling for close to Randall MSRP , but one that has had the price dropped on EBay.
:rofl:
I've heard bogus ad copy, but I never thought I'd see a kitchen knife promoted for having a "heavy brass single hilt and wrist thong".

There may be a reason it's "non-catalog".

P.S. Oivind, I love your new avatar. It goes perfectly here.

Ahh, its been awhile since I have been to this thread...good times. I still get a chuckle when I look through them all.:tooth:

Lorena's out buying hotdogs but here it is.
img64mada.jpg
[/IMG]

This one for people who can't hold a knife in the regular way
nothing wrong about that
s21pr359pi1slicingkn.jpg
[/IMG]

Don't you guys always complain when you use a knife and your knuckles hit the cutting board? Problem solved!!!!:biggrin:
This one for people who can't hold a knife in the regular way
nothing wrong about that
s21pr359pi1slicingkn.jpg
[/IMG]

Snoop Dog's Kitchen Knife
http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff392/gkarlmc/images.jpg[/IMG
I can not figure out how someone could get their fingers in those finger holes

Crap! How can he make any money selling those for 30 and 40 dollars?! I mean, it's incredibly weird stuff, but SOMEONE had to put it together/filework it/grind it, etc. I seriously can't believe the prices. Then a fairly plain, straightforward but large fixed blade knife is $450.

What the hell?

Back