Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Admittedly I may only have had bad carrot cakes, but I'd take a yellow box cake over a bakery carrot cake any day.

Yanick doesn't cut _that_ well.

There. I said it.
I find this curious, because it’s the polar opposite of what I and those who I’ve shared my Yanick with have had.

What blade did you have?
This shouldn't be an unpopular opinion but you can't make a definitive judgment on a knife maker from a single knife

I think alot of people over estimate the power of convex grind, with that much thickness no matter how much convexity you have is not going to help, in fact a lot of them are not going to be better than a good flat grind. The whole "laser with convexity" thing is kind over blown. Ashi Ginga kind did better by having the convex at the edge with asymmetrical grind, that may not look as thing in the choil shot but cuts much more satisfying.

As a righty prefer asymmetrical grinds, at work had to peel watermelons, honeydew, cantaloupe, pineapple. Not too tall blades like Gengetsu or Yoshikane SKD make excellent peelers. We eat melons at home. Either of these knives are not boring & because of exceptional grinds & steel are nimble fun to cut with.

Not so unpopular Gengetsu's are always sold out for good reason. White steel 240mm is little over 300.00. Same for Yoshikane SKD.

You don't have to spend thousands of dollars for awesome cutting.

Honyaki isn't that special anymore.

Maybe it's just me, but I remember a time where honyaki was something real special, surrounded by all sorts of war stories about them being almost impossible to get right and a high failure rate when quenching.
Nowadays almost every western maker produces them by the dozen, and it seems as almost every day one pops up on BST, for almost the same price as a 'normal' blade.

Honyaki isn't that special anymore.

Maybe it's just me, but I remember a time where honyaki was something real special, surrounded by all sorts of war stories about them being almost impossible to get right and a high failure rate when quenching.
Nowadays almost every western maker produces them by the dozen, and it seems as almost every day one pops up on BST, for almost the same price as a 'normal' blade.
Western makers have been producing these forever they just didn’t call them honyaki, didn’t polish and etch them to show off hamon and generally didn’t make that big of a deal over them. The most value to the honyaki besides the visual is when the maker spends more time and effort on them and due to that gets to a better than usual grind. Outside of that very little benefit exists among different constructions of knives since the cutting edge can have the same performance attributes regardless of the construction.

I am only referring to the cutting performance itself not other attributes of different constructions. There are some benefits to different types of custruction.

TBH the extra clean Honyakis like Ikeda or Ashi are still rare, alot of cheaper western I saw are very wild and bleeds alot, not to mention stuff like moon over fuji.

TBH the extra clean Honyakis like Ikeda or Ashi are still rare, alot of cheaper western I saw are very wild and bleeds alot, not to mention stuff like moon over fuji.
Wild and bleeding are more by design than randomness, and it's much easier to screw things up by getting too greedy with ashi. A clean hamon only requires a stencil over which to apply the clay dead evenly on both sides, doing it freehand symmetrically is a skill in itself, but I am highly skeptical that it is done freehand in production, Japanese made honyaki (perhaps Mt Fuji excepted). The clay is just waaay too damn even and crisp.

FWIW, I think this just points to different aesthetic preferences though. Some people like clean and crisp, other people like controlled chaos, and I'm of the latter camp. If I'm going to spend an extra few hours working on a blade to reveal purely aesthetic attributes, I want to be dazzled and delighted. I want to find something new every time I pick it up. I like an element of drama in my honyaki.

Latest posts

Back