Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wait till you actually get it all on paper, the list will have dozens of items.

5gal of quench oil...anvil, angle grinder, zip cuts, grinding disks, HT oven, vice, assorted tongs and hammers, propane tanks, work clothes, respirator, gloves, arc welder, punches, scwredrivers, wrenches, drill press, benches, gause, antiseptic, bandaids...

Also, this:

Seriously.
After this… Something in me was like, these guys are right.
So today, I spend half the Sunday building a dedicated polish and sharpening space in my shed. It’s not fancy and rustic looking like I’ve seen @milangravier shop is, but it is fully functional and has everything I need.

I’ll spend some more time on making it look nice and get the right lighting and such. But I’m really glad I did this today 😅

Carpe diem, baby

Take your pick. Keller's partnering with product suppliers in design like nearby Hesten is far more complex than the lollipop lids he uses in his All Clad collection.

He uses those abominable things in his Hestan line as well. I like the 6qt rondeau in that line. If only it had a decent lid.

That Newham kitchen sword is ugly af. Yeah sure impressive craftsmanship blah blah but no thanks.

The man does some impeccable work, his recent damasteel stuff looked amazing, but about one in ten are garish as hell.
Yeah, Bakerforge and Timascus are just too much, only time I saw fancy handle and fancy blade works together is one of Metal moneky's.

At least a standard solid stainless lid doesn’t drip condensation all over every damn thing.

Yeah, Bakerforge and Timascus are just too much, only time I saw fancy handle and fancy blade works together is one of Metal moneky's.

NGL, that combo is honestly pretty heinous in my eyes. The handle material would be gorgeous on a shape that isn’t essentially a wa, using curves to bring out the insane amount it has going on and making it the centerpiece. Using a block like that in a simple handle shape, and then combining it with a very busy Damascus (that would also be nice if it was made the centerpiece) feels like a waste of both the handle block and the steels potential.

I stand by the simple design principle that either the knife and the handle block patterns and design should serve to accentuate each other, or one should be simple to let the other shine. Having them both be dramatically different and not complimentary is like having two divas in a show, a discordant cacophony.

the DLC coating on your pocket knife looks like crap

I hate your knife and your choices
Hey, my edc today and I resent that!

rosie.jpeg

That being said a lot of "DLC" on the market is crappy PVD. There are some good coatings out there. I usually prefer satin/stonewash, I think this is my only DLC, however it does make a lot of sense depending on the steel, this is 15v, and in a sweaty pocket will be a problem uncoated, same with m4 (spyderco has an awesome TiCN coating on some of their m4)

the DLC coating on your pocket knife looks like crap

I hate your knife and your choices
I found a wonderful paragraph about DLC coatings on knives. It's sure to make you eat your words.

The main benefit of DLC is its high hardness because it improves the edge retention, wear resistance, and life span of knives. It is estimated that the hardness of DLC is 75+ HRC, which is harder than the hardest knife steels like REX 121 or Maxamet, which are about 70HRC.
Isn't it great? What I love about it is that it claims that a coating on the sides of the knife improves edge retention. You know, because that coating is harder than even the hardest steel.

It is a masterpiece, in its way.

Ummm… please continue? What else should I cut my crusty loaf with?

A gyuto or a sujihiki. A properly thin behind the edge gyuto with a conservative toothy microbevel is the perfect tool for cutting bread.

Most all of the cutting boards at most every place I ever worked have deep grooves from bread knives. From fine dining to community kitchen. It exacerbates cross contamination and allergen hazards. Puts plastic into people's food. It unnecessarily shortens the life of the boards. And the grooves damage my thin behind the edge knives when I use the boards much faster than non-damaged boards.

Back