Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fresh mozzarella by itself is in fact, pretty horrible compare to the ocean of cheeses that exist and can stand on their own without backdrop dancers.

But fresh tomatoes and basil need it to tie the two together with its gentle creamy/sweetness. There is basically a 3 month window where the cheese is useful, unless you have a good hydroponics set up (and my envy)

IPA is the only beer that’s worth the cost of the brain cells that any amount of alcohol kills off. Wine is an inferior product to the grapes it starts as.

Nah… dark beer is my poison
I have been harassing my local beer and liquor stores for years to special order this for me to no avail. Tried it once now it just lives in my dreams.

Attachments

• IMG_8692.png
    IMG_8692.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
IPAs are good and there are certainly great ones out there but the over reliance of breweries (particularly in the US) on IPAs is annoying. The selection at one of my beloved beer shops in Charlotte is like 90% IPA or some variation therein.

I, as I have said, LOVE me some bitter, brutal, tongue destroying IPAs. But I believe that the true test of a brewer's skill is whether or not they can make a decent pils or Czech lager. There's nothing to hide behind, and any flaws in your craft will be evident.

Last edited:
I, as I have said, LOVE me some bitter, brutal, tongue destroying IPAs. But I believe that the true test of a brewer's skill is whether or not they can make a decent pils or Czech lager. There's nothing to hide behind, and any flaws in your craft will be evident.
Exactly. It’s hard not to hide behind high Vol. or all that bitter crazy IPA stuff.
One of my very good friends owes a brewing company who produces 0,5% alc. IPA The struggle was real to make those brews taste good. But he succeeded and I actually enjoy drinking those, but there’s just something about a thick creamy stout that can’t be beaten. That hint of burnt caramel, cream and rich darkness. Oh boy!

A well-brewed Imperial Pilsner is a thing of beauty.

I used to gravitate to those massive three-digit IBU brews, but am more of a pale ale and tripel drinker these days. A friend decided those big ales had a use: to be dosed to kids who were caught swearing instead of the usual bar of soap. We called those beers Sorry-mama.

They’re just the ticket for buffalo wings or quesabirria or onion rings paired with a zippy chipotle aioli. Shame it’s an hour each way to the gastropub that makes a righteous fish&chips (upgrayedd to rings for double the pimpin) and the chipotle aioli reference that I’m very close to reverse engineering.

Exactly. It’s hard not to hide behind high Vol. or all that bitter crazy IPA stuff.
One of my very good friends owes a brewing company who produces 0,5% alc. IPA The struggle was real to make those brews taste good. But he succeeded and I actually enjoy drinking those, but there’s just something about a thick creamy stout that can’t be beaten. That hint of burnt caramel, cream and rich darkness. Oh boy!
I like my beers/ales “the same color in as out”. Roasty flavors aren’t for me, and say a Russian imperial stout tastes like bitter black ashes. My son, now — he likes those “tea of bonfire embers” drinks, pitch-black Italian roast coffees etc.

I have yet to drink a low to zero ABV IPA that didn’t taste metallic.

I know the feeling, but he did nail it (and won a price) So it’s doable.
He tried with 0,0% alc. that didn’t fly. But tha 0,5 point made all the difference

I like my beers/ales “the same color in as out”. Roasty flavors aren’t for me, and say a Russian imperial stout tastes like bitter black ashes. My son, now — he likes those “tea of bonfire embers” drinks, pitch-black Italian roast coffees etc.
I don’t drink coffee (don’t shoot me) but black pints, whiskey that taste like tar and smoke flavoured food in general is really to my liking.

I like my veggies as much as @ethompson but those heavy notes just hits different.

Subtle flavors are the last and by definition hardest to detect, a big part of it is olfactory too.... Mozzarella If it's fresh enough you can about taste the utter. Incredible umami....

Wholeheartedly agree. As much as I enjoy Southern food, the Midwest has the beer game on lockdown. Even middle of nowhere local breweries do good, simple beer quite well. I roamed the corn belt right as I was getting burnt out on IPAs and it was a lovely reset. I smuggled a few cases of Spotted Cow back too, in sample coolers.

Back