Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sushi pizza
baked rice crust, then wasabi mayo, sliced avocado, spicy kani, tempura crunchies, slivered roasted seaweed
butter the outer crust and sprinkle togarashi

When I’m finally ready to start WW4, I’m taking this recipe to Italy just to watch them flip their moka pot lids when I break out the togarashi

I think it’d make a pretty great table appetizer though

Thanks
IMG_0032.jpeg

here's one that will ruffle some feathers

why do nakiri's even exist? was it a by product of failed gyutos? or is that just japanese idea of a cleaver?. yet most.of them have no usable tips cause both ends are heavily rounded lol

why do nakiri's even exist? was it a by product of failed gyutos? or is that just japanese idea of a cleaver?. yet most.of them have no usable tips cause both ends are heavily rounded lol

I use my stainless 165 broken gyuto very much thank you. That/cleaver/carbon 210 are the most used.

I would guess because someone wanted a double bevel usuba and the nakiri was born.

The natural devolution of a knife is from gyuto to santoku to nakiri.

The Neopolitans would disagree. To them Pizza is life. Wood fired Italian pizza is divine. Frutti di Mare is my fav. And not a pineapple in sight.
Personally I'd take a pizza hawaii over frutti di mare any day. I never liked fish and seafruit on pizza.
What Italians think... well... they're pretty much the conservative fundamentalists of the culinary world. They're the Fremen of food.

Actually let me follow that up with something truly controversial. I think mozzerella is rather overrated... it's bland as hell. Same problem with fior di latte. I've been experimenting a bit but a good grated Gouda, Gruyere or Emmentaler with some added parmiggiano makes for way tastier cheese on your pizza. And the texture isn't all that different either.

Word. I like mozzarella fresh where in all its fairness it’s the main ingredient.

On pizza, we are talking cheese with more aromatic flavours and salt to it.
I’m even more for chunks than graded cheese

Honestly I never understood fresh mozzerella either... it's really rather bland. Even the buffalo stuff with all the fancy origin labels. I guess it's too subtle for my tastes.

I don't smoke and I rarely drink... but my parents smoked in the house during my entire youth, and I have one of those noses that's sensitive for pollen etc, so I guess my olfactory senses are just rather limited. Hence why I've always gravitated more towards stronger flavors and the subtle stuff is usually lost on me.

Honestly I never understood fresh mozzerella either... it's really rather bland. Even the buffalo stuff with all the fancy origin labels. I guess it's too subtle for my tastes.

I always considered fresh mozzarella to be bland but kind of non-offensive. I think it's fine on pizza margarita or marinated with tomatoes and herbs for salad. But I never understood some people's love for the stuff. I teach a high school culinary club and one week each semester I bring in 12-15 different kinds of cheeses. Most of the kids have only really experienced a few kinds of cheese. Like American (which doesn't really count), cheddar, and fake parm. So they are pretty excited and surprised how many different cheeses there are and how different they all are from each other. Gruyere and manchego and aged gouda and real parm and Stilton and chevre and feta etc. But the one thing that really surprised me the first time I did it is the almost universal vitriolic hatred of the fresh mozz. They all said that it was their least favorite. We were eating everything with just grapes and crackers so not a whole lot to distract from the blandness. But I think what they really disliked was the texture. Compared to all the other cheeses we were trying it was just kind of mealy and wet.

I always considered fresh mozzarella to be bland but kind of non-offensive. I think it's fine on pizza margarita or marinated with tomatoes and herbs for salad. But I never understood some people's love for the stuff. I teach a high school culinary club and one week each semester I bring in 12-15 different kinds of cheeses. Most of the kids have only really experienced a few kinds of cheese. Like American (which doesn't really count), cheddar, and fake parm. So they are pretty excited and surprised how many different cheeses there are and how different they all are from each other. Gruyere and manchego and aged gouda and real parm and Stilton and chevre and feta etc. But the one thing that really surprised me the first time I did it is the almost universal vitriolic hatred of the fresh mozz. They all said that it was their least favorite. We were eating everything with just grapes and crackers so not a whole lot to distract from the blandness. But I think what they really disliked was the texture. Compared to all the other cheeses we were trying it was just kind of mealy and wet.

Maybe a food cultural thing? I love the texture and with some good olive oil flake salt from my country or the Maldon stuff, it’s hard not to love it. Make some freshly backed flatbread in the pizza oven with some rosemary ❤️

I think a lot of the popularity of mozzerella these days stems from most people never having tasted good cheese that has actual flavor. Like you said... mozzerella is so bland that it's hard to find it offensive, but it doesn't bring a whole lot to the table either.
FWIW I have the same problem with burrata. 🤷‍♂️

Maybe a food cultural thing? I love the texture and with some good olive oil flake salt from my country or the Maldon stuff, it’s hard not to love it. Make some freshly backed flatbread in the pizza oven with some rosemary ❤️

We were just eating it raw and room temp without any extra salt or olive oil or balsamic or tomatoes or basil or any of the other stuff it normally gets dressed up with. I am planning on taking my Ooni at some point and doing a pizza day with them. They will probably feel different about a fresh neapolitan margarita than they did about the slimy little ciliegini. I just found it really interesting. Their favorites were actually the blue cheeses and the goat cheeses. Which, from a cultural perspective I would find to be far more different from what they were used to.

I partially agree with you. A solo slap of mozzarella isn’t the most intriguing food in the world.

The the Ooni is a great idea. Caramelised goat cheese on pizzas is great. My kinds love it 👍

Latest posts

Back