Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely would try

fd19f4ec43b9b62307bca36b35563dbff3365396.gifv

Also with age comes earlier bedtimes. And running up the down escalator is a late night sport.
Ohgoodnessno. Daylight at the shopping mall.
And good shoes, because sometimes there was a woolly mammoth to kick out of the way.

This was back in the day of the beehive hairdo — some of which featured real bees. Brought out the best effort in us kids.

231113_r43356illuweb-site.jpg

Which ones?

All restaurant supply stuff is basically the same. Probably manufactured in the same factories.

Dexter SaniSafe/Basics/Val-U
Mercer Millennia/Culinary
Winco Stahl/Happy Chef/KWP (branded different in different retailers/regions/countries)

Many, many others that are roughly equally as crappy as the vaunted Fibrox while costing 1/3 to 1/2 the price. Just Fibrox has gotten all the culinary reviewers to say they are the best value knife for about the past 25 years so it is just regurgitated any time any one asks for a knife recommendation.

I think part of it is that they've been really consistent and are very widely available even for normal consumers no matter where you are in the world. And at least they are highly consistent.
Probably also factors in for some reviewers that it's available through amazon and not just restaurant supply, so it's a recommendation you can actually monetize.

Also, don't know how long the others have been around? Because for example at some point Wüsthof started releasing lines like Silverpoint specifically as a response to the growing popularity of the Victorinox.

All restaurant supply stuff is basically the same. Probably manufactured in the same factories.

Winco Stahl/Happy Chef/KWP (branded different in different retailers/regions/countries)

Many, many others that are roughly equally as crappy as the vaunted Fibrox while costing 1/3 to 1/2 the price. Just Fibrox has gotten all the culinary reviewers to say they are the best value knife for about the past 25 years so it is just regurgitated any time any one asks for a knife recommendation.
good to know. i went down the list and saw some $40 prices, but at least some of them can be had for cheaper.
like this one is $22. i don't think i've seen fibrox that cheap.

I think the fibrox series also got more expensive over time? I vaguely recall them being at least 10 bucks cheaper not too long ago.

Yes, plenty of similar ones available.

I use a Fibrox every week at a friend’s place. I don’t mind it. The handle works for me, and the knife gets the job done. It’s not a super enjoyable experience, but not a terrible one either. It would be nice if it were thinner behind the edge, but that obviously can’t happen for a cheap stamped knife.

I think the fibrox series also got more expensive over time? I vaguely recall them being at least 10 bucks cheaper not too long ago.
I don't know about across the pond. But here in the states they really haven't inflated much over the past twenty years. The one I bought in 2004 was about $29. Best price on Amazon right now is $41. If I was buying a knife just to be a no holds barred beater. I would buy a $17 Winco.

Fair enough. I assume the "Swiss-made" aspect of it along with the marketing allows them to justify the price to consumers.

Fair enough. I assume the "Swiss-made" aspect of it along with the marketing allows them to justify the price to consumers.

it is relative, but it can certainly justify the price for some consumers, in some cases. for different reasons.

for instance, what goes into the cost of a knife being manufactured (in enormous quantities, but still) europe, switzerland?
what's the minimum wage, cost of healthcare and empoleyer's taxes etc.
is it more expensive to produce the 'same' knives in switzerland compared to places where labour comes cheaper? yes, of course.
is that worth 20$ to a customer or not? that's up to the buyer.

i'm not saying that all similar but cheaper alternatives to vics are made in places where working conditions are worse and wages are lower. though i take my chances and guess that some are.

Back