Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
people that put their nose up at honing rods is cause they suck at using one.

This one deserves thought. Are you saying that about Euro-knives, in which case I would entirely agree with you, having found a lot of uses for the polished F. Dick steel? Or are you saying it about blue steel/white steel/R2 Japanese knives, in which case I would be forced to admit that there is a frontier I have left unexplored?

This one deserves thought. Are you saying that about Euro-knives, in which case I would entirely agree with you, having found a lot of uses for the polished F. Dick steel? Or are you saying it about blue steel/white steel/R2 Japanese knives, in which case I would be forced to admit that there is a frontier I have left unexplored?
mac black ceramic works well even for high hrc steel if used properly.

mac black ceramic works well even for high hrc steel if used properly.
I agree, you can use them. It's kind of the same as stropping on a ceramic stone, just a different shape. I used an idahone for a long time that i still have. I once slightly nicked a heel on a kono ginsan, because i wasn't totally paying attention, user error. Other than that, never had any issues, it works great for quick touchups. But i do think alot of people are referring to classic european style grooved "steels" rods. Those i won't put anywhere near my nice knives.

You can all call me Carrrrrrrrrrlotta!
carllll.jpg

Can't believe this thread has over 1400 posts in just over a month...

Here's mine: most hipster knife makers have no idea about good ergonomics.
e.g. a needlessly long "wa" handle on a chinese cleaver, shows no understanding about how a wa handle works, proper knife skills, or how a Chinese Cleaver works.

Also, some people should never touch a good knife.

e.g. The day I received my commissioned Joe Calton Chinese cleaver, my dad hacked two crabs to death with it...making numerous large chips into 4 mm f the blade. My dad also routinely uses good knives to cut directly on plates. He has also drawn blood using a paring knife backwards.

e.g.2 Idiots that over rely on dishwashers,

Latest posts

Back