Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She likes only the best of the best Chinese HARD liquor, & her favorite knife is Shig. Kasumi 😂
View attachment 90623

Gotta try some baijiu again. Last time I had it was 10 yrs ago when a girlfriend brought some back from China for me and that bottle was the worst thing I have ever tasted.

Gotta try some baijiu again. Last time I had it was 10 yrs ago when a girlfriend brought some back from China for me and that bottle was the worst thing I have ever tasted.

lol, it’s an acquired taste for sure, took me couple of years to overcome the initial hurdle. The complexity of good Baijiu has no substitute but it’s important to start with a good one: I recommend starting with Luzholaojiao, ranked within top 5 but still reasonable priced. Dilute it with water by 30% if you don’t to feel like you are drinking gasoline, as it 110 proof, only drink with food, not with empty stomach, & only a little at a time, like half a shot glass.

38A1A240-F8E9-4493-AAAC-EADFC887E4CA.jpeg

Nobody in the industry should drink any ergoutou...unless they're being entertained in China.

ergoutou is the bottom shelf liquor from Beijing, it’s dirt cheap in China, like 2 dollar a bottle, I wouldn’t touch it with a 10ft pole.

If your host in China “entertain” you with ergoutou, don’t walk, run 🏃

lol, it’s an acquired taste for sure, took me couple of years to overcome the initial hurdle. The complexity of good Baijiu has no substitute but it’s important to start with a good one: I recommend starting with Luzholaojiao, ranked within top 5 but still reasonable priced. Dilute it with water by 30% if you don’t to feel like you are drinking gasoline, as it 110 proof, only drink with food, not with empty stomach, & only a little at a time, like half a shot glass.

View attachment 90659

I have tried to acquire this taste. Oh, how I have tried. I have drunk $300 Maotai and Wuliangye, side by side with $15 Pearl River Bridge, and the only difference I can taste is that the expensive stuff is smoother. All of it smells like a rotting grain silo; I can overlook that. But the magic escapes me.

I have tried to acquire this taste. Oh, how I have tried. I have drunk $300 Maotai and Wuliangye, side by side with $15 Pearl River Bridge, and the only difference I can taste is that the expensive stuff is smoother. All of it smells like a rotting grain silo; I can overlook that. But the magic escapes me.
I guess thats all part of the mystery, what else did you taste besides rotting grain silo, and when was the last time that you tasted a rotting grain silo?

I guess thats all part of the mystery, what else did you taste besides rotting grain silo, and when was the last time that you tasted a rotting grain silo?

The rotting grain silo is in the smell, not the taste. And your question is not quite sensible, in that the struggle to describe unfamiliar tastes and smells needs all the help it can get, being hard for humans. I have little doubt that dogs would do better, were they granted language. I have not smelled a rotting grain silo, but I have smelled large piles of grain, probably mixed with molasses, at horse barns, when they have been in the bin too long, and it is as close as I can come to the haunting, pungent, dirty smell of sorghum liquor.

As for the taste, and restricting things to the expensive stuff, it is not like the smell. Not really at all. It's not unpleasant. It's very dry, no sweetness. It's layered. No fruit, no meat in there, but a good dose of umami, and some of the rich character of the more characterful grains, like barley or oats. Maybe a touch of grassiness. I kind of like it, actually; the more one tastes, the easier it is to like. Perhaps your $48.99 suggestion would represent a palatable tradeoff between enjoyment and cost for me. What I cannot see, despite all efforts to see, is the case for $300, which would buy you Chablis or Batard-Montrachet or Cote-Rotie Scotch or Rye from a very very good producer.

The grain comments are not me, but starting with $48 Luzhoulaojiao, diluted, was my recommendation.

It takes more than a couple sittings to establish the acquired taste, this one is not as complex but tastes just as good. I wouldn’t spend $300 for Moutai either. Plus, it’s risky if you don’t know the source, there’s lots of fakes for the top two brands, both Moutai & Wulianye, people have gone blind due to MeOH contamination from fakes.

Shoujiou in general do not work in cocktails, one of the reason it could not establish a market in the west outside of China town.

I am a pretty lite drinker, 1-2 drinks a week, & I don’t drink for drinking’s sake. When I cook a perfect dish, the Shoujiou tends to come out, greatly elevates the meal.

The rotting grain silo is in the smell, not the taste. And your question is not quite sensible, in that the struggle to describe unfamiliar tastes and smells needs all the help it can get, being hard for humans. I have little doubt that dogs would do better, were they granted language. I have not smelled a rotting grain silo, but I have smelled large piles of grain, probably mixed with molasses, at horse barns, when they have been in the bin too long, and it is as close as I can come to the haunting, pungent, dirty smell of sorghum liquor.
Sorry I should have not trusted siri to type that out right, but when was the last time you tasted _that_ rotting grain silo?

This thread should be called: Hot Mess.

Wow, with that type of transcription ability, trusting siri could get you banned from your replies on BST postings.

If you don’t pinch grip and hold a knife just by the handle, you look like you have no idea what your doing.

Back