Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My unpopular opinion is any knife with a textured edge is just objectively worse for bulk work. Scrapes the hell off of my fingers when I use them as a guide. Maybe i just haven't found the right one for me, but with where the price tags are i'm not really willing to take another chance. I have this Kurouchi Gyuto that's been a massive PITA to use, so it just sits in my knife roll gathering dust
My fingers only touch the edge by accident :p

Sorry, this was too easy, I know what you mean ;)

👀 now I'm curious. the forum seems to dislike, I'm betting its actually quite good.

I don’t think Raquin = TF is accurate. Only similarity imo is that they are both wide bevel and both have great steel. Raquin has really consistent (if rustic) F & F, including best ever handles. His forging is great and his grinds are super consistent. They’re short wide bevels rather than TF’s more normal wide bevels too. The KT grinds are way too chonk for me, but the more normal grinds I’ve tried have been really nice.

I don’t think I’ve heard anyone dislike raquin, he seems like a nice guy, has popped up on the forums periodically to do pass around and has very classic looking knives.

While his knives look rustic I’ve never actually heard of any actual F&F issues, it’s just the styling. That’s completely different than TF, which is infamous for pretty much every QC issue possible from handles installed at an angle, to messed up bevels and rough edges. To the point where places like district cutlery have specific TF tuning services due to how much may need to be changed.

To be fair - Ryan at District Cutlery offers the TF spa treatment because so many of his customers are gladly handing over an additional $80 when they buy - in his words " a prefectly good knife."

My experience with raquin and tf are not similar at all. I really enjoy the grind on my raquin and find it more like part mazaki part Takeda. It has a low flat bevel and some hammered stuff above that. Its a "standard" grind, not the KT. Food release is great, almost like Takeda, and the feel in hand and balance is similar to mazaki.

My experience with raquin and tf are not similar at all. I really enjoy the grind on my raquin and find it more like part mazaki part Takeda. It has a low flat bevel and some hammered stuff above that. Its a "standard" grind, not the KT. Food release is great, almost like Takeda, and the feel in hand and balance is similar to mazaki.
how are the shoulders above bevel? that description sounds pretty unique

I don’t think I’ve heard anyone dislike raquin, he seems like a nice guy, has popped up on the forums periodically to do pass around and has very classic looking knives.

While his knives look rustic I’ve never actually heard of any actual F&F issues, it’s just the styling. That’s completely different than TF, which is infamous for pretty much every QC issue possible from handles installed at an angle, to messed up bevels and rough edges. To the point where places like district cutlery have specific TF tuning services due to how much may need to be changed.
My Raquin cuts extremely well and F&F is excellent. Not sure how anyone would compare it with a denka.

Last edited:
how are the shoulders above bevel? that description sounds pretty unique
Mine has a defined "shinogi" that's low like a Takeda, but not as wide and wedgy. From the shinogi to the cutting edge, it's more or less flat grind both sides

Congratulations.
I had a workhorse Raquin in145sc.
In fact, I lent it to @ian to play around with, then sold it.
Raquin.jpg

The one thing I didn't like was the angle of the handle relative to the edge.
It was a beautifully made knife, but my TFs cut better....

Last edited:
I had a standard Raquin in145sc.
In fact, I lent it to @ian to play around with, then sold it.
View attachment 307454
The one thing I didn't like was the angle of the handle relative to the edge.
It was a beautifully made knife, but my TFs cut better....
Oh, that one was standard? Yea, that one was kind of chonky too. The other two I’ve tried cut more smoothly I think. Nice knife regardless though.

Oh, that one was standard? Yea, that one was kind of chonky too. The other two I’ve tried cut more smoothly I think. Nice knife regardless though.
Sorry, checked my messages and it was a workhorse that had been sharpened a few times, but not thinned, when you got it.
I thought it cut well when I got it back from you and briefly tested it.

Reactions: ian
It is rare that anyone complains about TFs not cutting well. Most complaints are about f&f. I've seen some complaints about cutting performance, but mostly from people that haven't used one. I am sure that like with any maker there are some TFs that cut worse than most.

It is rare that anyone complains about TFs not cutting well. Most complaints are about f&f. I've seen some complaints about cutting performance, but mostly from people that haven't used one. I am sure that like with any maker there are some TFs that cut worse than most.
Depends on the grind. I've heard of plenty not cutting well as they were ground thick behind the edge. There was a retailer with a bunch of super heavy Denkas that came on the market just after Yhuki and Gaku left TF to start Isamitsu. They are super chonk.

Depends on the grind. I've heard of plenty not cutting well as they were ground thick behind the edge. There was a retailer with a bunch of super heavy Denkas that came on the market just after Yhuki and Gaku left TF to start Isamitsu. They are super chonk.
So a recent development? I don't have experience with the recent ones.

Town Cutler spatulas are a nice flexy
blade marred by a blocky and indifferently finished handle.

The entire utensil goes from a lovely 64 bit render to an 8 bit insult.

Back