Use Both Sides of a Single Grit Stone?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you use one or both sides of your single grit stones?

• One side

Votes: 17 89.5%
  • Both sides

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
I did my due diligence, tried Google and other search functions...

Single grit stones, assuming they get flattened as necessary, is there any advantage to always using just one side or does it not matter? Seems to me leaving one side as square from the factory might make it sit better but then again I may be over thinking it...

That's pretty much what I do (leave the other side square), since flatness matters for single-bevel knives. If the stone has text etc. printed on it, I prefer to use the unmarked side. I mark the side-facing faces of the stone with a Sharpie marker (or if using a Sharpie is not viable, then an acrylic paint-marker) to show which side is to be up/down.

Last edited:
I did my due diligence, tried Google and other search functions...

Single grit stones, assuming they get flattened as necessary, is there any advantage to always using just one side or does it not matter? Seems to me leaving one side as square from the factory might make it sit better but then again I may be over thinking it...

Ideally, you're flattening your stone all the time, so both sides should stay pretty flat. Probably doesn't matter much. But yea, if you want the stamps to stay, just use one side.

Edit: I guess Qapla’s point of keeping one side really flat and allowing the other to dish a bit could be a reason to use both, but I just keep everything as flat as possible all the time. Allowing a stone to dish just means you’ll have to flatten more at some point. I mean, it’s not like you’re going to go back and use the high parts. If you were going to do that, you’d have done it before it dished significantly.

Last edited:
Here's my Sigma, which comes without any reference point (prints) whatsoever.

IMG_6669.jpg

I guess I'm maniacal about being sure I have one side flat from manufacturer. Also used this with the NP800 which has a marking on the side, but I wouldn't remember which way top the next time around. I flatten, clean and chamfer my stones so thoroughly it's not like it's gonna show.

Ideally, you're flattening your stone all the time, so both sides should stay pretty flat. Probably doesn't matter much. But yea, if you want the stamps to stay, just use one side.

Edit: I guess Qapla’s point of keeping one side really flat and allowing the other to dish a bit could be a reason to use both, but I just keep everything as flat as possible all the time.
Maybe I used the wrong phrase ("that's pretty much what I do"); I meant that I use only one side.

Used it once do far, thinned a fatigued stainless Sabatier, didn’t find it dished much although there was some. Very very thirsty, I don’t want to permasoak but am tempted to seal it. Friggin’ fast, no need of much pressure. So noisy it explains why I only used it once so far. 🤪

Is that the 240? How do you find it in use?

A stone at the end of its life span, dished on both sides, is more likely to break, e.g. when flattening. So yes, you may use both sides, if you keep both sides continuously flat.

If I'm sharpening a lot of knives then yes I'll use both sides.

Back