Vegetable knife meditation.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just watched a Uzbek cutting green onions for Uzbek Palov. What made it interesting is he had a knife that was at least 3 feet long, razor sharp and the green onions he was cutting was in a bundle perhaps 28" in diameter. The knife just plained thin slices off of the end of this bundle. I have a lifelong love of what the little boy in me has always called "Chinese Noodles". My Dad was US Navy so we were interesting parts of the world all in the far east. I always ordered Chinese Noodles. Today when I make them for myself chopping the green onions has evolved into a meditative thing. I don't chop in mass but carefully cut each slice of the green onion. I now use a Wüsthof 3.1" paring knife, or a JCK 130mm petty knife. There is something very relaxing about cutting each slice of the green onion. I use 3 sticks of green onion so it doesn't take that long but you go into a Zen zone while doing it. Of course if need anything more it is out with a Nikari or a Gyuto and go to town.

I’m sort of like that with mushrooms, sliced or julienned. It’ll take me half an hour of slow attentive knife work to process eight ounces. The world recedes before the sensation of steel sliding through product. In fact, finding the right tactile “sound” from the blade is something that inspires me to explore different sharpening methods.

I recently acquired a Birgersson short (170) gyuto with a nice thin geometry and a very flat profile that promises to displace an Ogata 135 nakiri as my Mushroom Knife. I’m playing with a Yaginoshima that might be the key to an edge that isn’t as … sterile? as the one I get off a 5k Cerax, a very nice stone and permanent part of my single-bevel progression. But a fairly fine Jnat seems to put a sort of velvety feedback into the act of slicing that really pluses the tactile side of cutting mushies.

I have a couple of these funayuki knives. I hate the balance of the two I have, the Wa handles don't help. While the Kabar BK-62 is an absolutely primo utility knife the thinner bladed OKC small game and fish version of the Kephart bushcraft knife is so sweet that it is sitting in the knife block for ready use on vegetables, this also gives me the opportunity to hide the bogus sheath it comes in. What kind of jerks my chain is while the knife is made in the USA, the sheath isn't, that is OK but the way OKC concealed that is made in China isn't. The SG&F knife has been in and out of production since it was first introduced in 1920. The sheath for the BK-62 fits the SG&F knife perfectly. If I could get one from KaBar I would imagine if would cost more than another OKC knife.

Hidden under the belt loop.

IMG_9160.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a couple of these funayuki knives. I hate the balance of the two I have, the Wa handles don't help. While the Kabar BK-62 is an absolutely primo utility knife the thinner bladed OKC small game and fish version of the Kephart bushcraft knife is so sweet that it is sitting in the knife block for ready use on vegetables, this also gives me the opportunity to hide the bogus sheath it comes in. What kind of jerks my chain is while the knife is made in the USA, the sheath isn't, that is OK but the way OKC concealed that is made in China isn't. The SG&F knife has been in and out of production since it was first introduced in 1920.

Hidden under the belt loop.

View attachment 320937

On that little 120mm, balance just isn't something I consider. In general, I prefer a blade-forward balance but it's hard to achieve much of that with so little metal hanging out there. Although the light handle on these does help.

But, I just tossed those out there because of your mention of enjoying small smaller knives for your onions and both of those I posted are excellent. The funayuki is an excellent utility knife. Mine does duty from poultry butchering to opening bacon packages and a lot in between. There's a reason its name starts with "fun". :)

Last edited:
On that little 120mm, balance just isn't something I consider. In general, I prefer a blade-forward balance but it's hard to achieve much of that with so little metal hanging out there. Although the light handle on these does help.

But, I just tossed those out there because of your mention of enjoying small smaller knives for your onions and both of those I posted are excellent. The funayuki is an excellent utility knife. Mine does duty from poultry butchering to opening bacon packages and a lot in between. There's a reason it's name starts with "fun". :)
My ***ayuki sure is

You're clearly a more patient man than me. Zen-cutting was never for me. I might consider Zen-eating but that's as far as it goes...
Made a company tradition out of racing for the best time on a 10# flat of mushrooms. The occasional bloody knuckle is a small price to pay when otherwise people would spend 20-30 minutes on it xD

Made a company tradition out of racing for the best time on a 10# flat of mushrooms. The occasional bloody knuckle is a small price to pay when otherwise people would spend 20-30 minutes on it xD
Reminds me early in my career. Worked with a guy that thought he was the best and fastest at everything. He challenged me to peel potatoes. I picked out 10, he chose his 5 and I peeled the rest.

Should have seen his face when I started peeling his potatoes after I did mine.

Reminds me early in my career. Worked with a guy that thought he was the best and fastest at everything. He challenged me to peel potatoes. I picked out 10, he chose his 5 and I peeled the rest.

Should have seen his face when I started peeling his potatoes after I did mine.
Been there on the other side. I was talking a big game about how fast I could crack a case of eggs, because by all accounts I was (and still am) streets ahead of everyone else in that kitchen.

The crotchety old retired owner of the cafe, who opened it '76, overheard and asked me to prove it. I was halfway through my case when he was done with his, and the prick started cracking mine too. Actual humiliation. 😂

But, I just tossed those out there because of your mention of enjoying small smaller knives for your onions and both of those I posted are excellent. The funayuki is an excellent utility knife. Mine does duty from poultry butchering to opening bacon packages and a lot in between. There's a reason its name starts with "fun". :)
The 2 I have were early purchases before I knew what I was doing, they are not of the best quality. I was looking at Knife Japan it is an interesting place. They have knife styles they don't have at JCK.

The 2 I have were early purchases before I knew what I was doing, they are not of the best quality. I was looking at Knife Japan it is an interesting place. They have knife styles they don't have at JCK.

Michael of Knife Japan is the gold standard of knife vendors. He has a well deserved reputation for customer service here on KKF.

More or less, the smiths/shops Michael deals with are the small guys. These are heavy on rustic performance and lighter on fit and finish. These are tools that one finds beauty in their function.

I'm quite sincere when I recommend the two knives I did. I use the Kawatsu a lot.

If you do a search you'll find a thread about something like "what's good at knife japan?". Some good info in there and a great place to ask questions.

Back