VG10 bread knife. A good idea?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VincentBeek

Reaction score
I am looking into buying a bread knife to replace my 50 year old plastic handle one and I have found some that are using VG10 or even HAP40.
For example a Takayuki serrated sujihiki 240 or Ryusen Tanganryu 210.
Given the reputation of VG10 being chippy is it a good idea to make a bread knife of this steel?
Is it good to have such high HRC anyway for a bread knife?
I usually buy German bread with a thick and hard crust.

In my opinion VG10 or similar is great for bread knives because the benefits of anything better are muted. Out of what I've tried I prefer my coworkers Mac Pro. If Shun's offset bread knife was longer it'd be a runner up.

To be honest though in most cases I prefer a long laserish gyuto with a microbevel. Cleaner cuts and less crumbs. Plus I don't have to reach for another knife.

I just use a cheap serrated santoku for slicing crusty bread. I don't plan to sharpen serrated edges so I just want something cheap I can replace when I find it dull.

I want a bread knife to be easily sharpened and forgiving. All reasons to get a simple moly. I sharpen the teeth with a medium-coarse, and deburr the other side with a medium-fine. Done. I don't expect sharpening of a VG-10 one to be as simple.
By the way, no reason to look for an ambidextrous one if you're the only user. Paid US$25 including shipping for this one with Amazon US.
Tojiro Bread Slicer 235mm F-737

Last edited:
I use a Shun Hiro sg2 bread knife for baguette (sometimes fresh sometimes frozen) and it never chipped, so I think vg10 should be fine if the grind/edge is properly made for bread. For most other softer bread I just use a gyuto.

My wife prefers the shun vg10 bread knife. Atleast until I make us one.

Sharpening the teeth with a leather strop? Or sharpening anything with a leather strop? You're not going to remove fatigued steel and building a new edge with a leather strop, aren't you? And certainly not with VG-10.

I see you posted this a while ago. If you didn’t get a bread knife already buy a tojiro itk bread knife.

Back