Video for those that are interested in sharpening single bevels.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blank Blades.

Blank Blank.
KKF Supporting Craftsman
Reaction score
I want to preface this, with THIS IS NOT ME, OR MY VIDEO. I just enjoy the stuff this guy outs out. Hey for all I know he's one of you guys.

It's a very informative video on how to get good results sharpening single bevel knives. And it also comes into play with thinning double bevels that have any distal taper.

I had to learn this lesson the hard way, and wish I would have seen this when I first started.

That guy is great at sketching... his sketches look like he is making use of drafting techniques. I wonder if he is an engineer? Good video.

I had to learn this lesson the hard way, and wish I would have seen this when I first started.
Ha, me too. But I was lucky. With the tip bent up, I ran into a straightening problem. So I didn't grind too much beta togi.

A sticky thread about single bevel geometry might help some beginners.

My eye opener was togitogi's usuba sharpening.

Ha, me too. But I was lucky. With the tip bent up, I ran into a straightening problem. So I didn't grind too much beta togi.

A sticky thread about single bevel geometry might help some beginners.

My eye opener was togitogi's usuba sharpening.
Yeah togitogi has great videos also. I just wish I could understand japanese so i could understand everything he is saying.

I want to preface this, with THIS IS NOT ME, OR MY VIDEO. I just enjoy the stuff this guy outs out. Hey for all I know he's one of you guys.

It's a very informative video on how to get good results sharpening single bevel knives. And it also comes into play with thinning double bevels that have any distal taper.

Interesting video, I will certainly look at some more. I like that a Blade Runner pistol appears @5.42, for no apparent reason.
Cheers.

That guy is great at sketching... his sketches look like he is making use of drafting techniques. I wonder if he is an engineer? Good video.
Great video and, yes, the guy is definitely an engineer (coming from an engineer! Eg his labelling of the sections is very common in engineering drawings).

Interesting video, I will certainly look at some more. I like that a Blade Runner pistol appears @5.42, for no apparent reason.
Cheers.

🤣

Yeah... that was pretty funny. I assume he had to retire a Nexus-6 replicant in between one of the cuts....

Cheers.

I used to subscribe to his channel as he has some cool knife stuff. But, he also has a lot of, well, other stuff that would pop up in my feed so I dropped out. Unique dude.

I used to subscribe to his channel as he has some cool knife stuff. But, he also has a lot of, well, other stuff that would pop up in my feed so I dropped out. Unique dude.
Yeah. I watched his videos a while back too. For the knife stuff. I've seen a couple of the random other videos. I don't remember it being anything too crazy, but I didnt look at that many of the non knife ones either.

Because of that I had to go and look through his other videos hes put out recently.

This is super interesting. I wouldn't personally want one, but I still like it.

Oh, also I was under the impression he works in kitchens. Maybe he has an engineering background?

I should add this also.

Edit: wow I didn't know imanishi was naniwa's parent company.

Last edited:
imanishi is not naniwas parent company... thats just not the case at all.
Ok lol. I figured I would have heard about that over the years if it was, but I never really thought about it, and was 90% sure that naniwa was its own thing. I should have realized that wasn't the case.

Thanks for sharing.

At about the 1 minute mark here we see a Yanagiba that, to me, shows what happens when you don’t follow the twist – would you agree?

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing.

At about the 1 minute mark here we see a Yanagiba that, to me, shows what happens when you don’t follow the twist – would you agree?

Yeah that looks exactly like what happened.

I think they did the stop motion quite well, but they really should have gotten a deba for the video I think.

Back