What are we watching lately?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watched the first episode of Altered Carbon.

I dunno... I read the three book series this is based on, years ago. It's always difficult to see actor's faces replacing the images you have in your head from reading, and in this case it's even more jarring because the "sleeving" thing into new bodies carries Takeshi's personality more consistently in the books, when you don't have to relate to the appearance of actors onscreen.

Also, the books are super-violent and more than a little twisted in parts, and I wonder how much of that can be translated to the screen. It might be just generic sci-fi, if they can't get that edge across without too much backlash. Anyway, I'll watch the next episodes for sure.

I love cold and detached!

Got Dunkirk & the new Bladerunner from 1.25 machine at grocery store. Library has lots of DVD's, but later run flicks have a waiting list.

I am a WW2 history junkie. Dunkirk was pretty accurate about the men on the groin & the German Stuka's bombing it. How they used vehicles as a walkway for shallow draft vessels. One survivor of around 600 on a ship that was hit with torpedo broke in half & sank. Spitfires, ME 109's, Stukas. Many of the small craft vessels used in the movie were the actual boats preserved that actually were at Dunkirk.

Of coarse fiction was used to create characters. The movie jumps scenes a lot which makes it seem disjointed. I had low expectations so at least was based on what really happened. The empty beach scenes with lines of men with no boats in sight was a little too much. That beach was crowded with men and equipment. They could have made that more real with special effects if they didn't want to hire too many extras.

Got Dunkirk & the new Bladerunner from 1.25 machine at grocery store. Library has lots of DVD's, but later run flicks have a waiting list.

I am a WW2 history junkie. Dunkirk was pretty accurate about the men on the groin & the German Stuka's bombing it. How they used vehicles as a walkway for shallow draft vessels. One survivor of around 600 on a ship that was hit with torpedo broke in half & sank. Spitfires, ME 109's, Stukas. Many of the small craft vessels used in the movie were the actual boats preserved that actually were at Dunkirk.

Of coarse fiction was used to create characters. The movie jumps scenes a lot which makes it seem disjointed. I had low expectations so at least was based on what really happened. The empty beach scenes with lines of men with no boats in sight was a little too much. That beach was crowded with men and equipment. They could have made that more real with special effects if they didn't want to hire too many extras.
Yeah, I basically agree with all of this. Just watched it yesterday. Had low expectations for the film and I walked away pleased. I think anyone that’s a fan of Christopher Nolan’s directing would like this.

Yeah, I basically agree with all of this. Just watched it yesterday. Had low expectations for the film and I walked away pleased. I think anyone that’s a fan of Christopher Nolan’s directing would like this.

It really helps understand what went into the movie and why it was shot this way if you watch some of the behind the scenes. I had the good fortune of attending a screening with Nolan where he spent more than 1 hr in a Q&A with Favreau, it made it 2x better for me, blew me away really. In a theater the sound is also some of the best match to movie.

Watched the first episode of Altered Carbon.

I dunno... I read the three book series this is based on, years ago. It's always difficult to see actor's faces replacing the images you have in your head from reading, and in this case it's even more jarring because the "sleeving" thing into new bodies carries Takeshi's personality more consistently in the books, when you don't have to relate to the appearance of actors onscreen.

Also, the books are super-violent and more than a little twisted in parts, and I wonder how much of that can be translated to the screen. It might be just generic sci-fi, if they can't get that edge across without too much backlash. Anyway, I'll watch the next episodes for sure.

i made it to the 3rd episode and dropped it. The acting of the female cop was too much and just got diluted IMO

Anyone out there watching Winter Olympics? I enjoy them esp. since they put in snowboard halfpipe & slopestyle. Both men & women's. Skeleton going headfirst on a sled at high speed great stuff. All the skiing esp. like the steep downhill. Ice Hockey both genders.

Surfed many years never done any winter sports, but love to watch it every 4 years.

Hooked on the skating. Japan's Hanyu repeated Gold deserved it he was the best. Skating not just technical the best have that IT factor start to finish.

I love the pairs it is man & woman chemistry blades on ice. The Ice Dancing is awesome to watch. Just finished the Gold & Silver Canadians & French were spectacular. The Americans Alex & Maia Shibutani brother & sister team won bronze.

The Russians have dominated Ice Dancing lots of Golds & always on the podium. They missed this year finishing fifth. The pair Soloviev & Bobrova were great too, one of the most fun pairs to watch. She was mesmerizing.

Love the 1/2 pipe snowboard mens and womens, found the skiing 1/2 pipe for women was not that great. Loving all the downhill stuff, skeleton, aerial tricks, and womens hockey.

Can't get into figure skating:(, and now NBC has managed to make it political too, so I'm really done, but love the speed skating.

Snowboards have more control on 1/2 pipe than ski's. Like the speed skating too when they race them together it is like demolition derby. Now they are doing timed pairs a lot probably more accurate as to who should win best time, but not as exciting.

NBC is the Liberal network do not think the Olympics should be a platform for gay pride. Wish could post the Russian & Canadian Ice dance what can I say I love it.

Find myself liking this anime season. That is to say that I actually found something to watch...lol. I am a total slice of life geek.

Yuru Camp:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/34798/Yuru_Camp△?q=Yuru Camp

Sora Yori Mo Tooi Basho:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/35839/Sora_yori_mo_Tooi_Basho

No clue what to watch once these two finish...Maybe one of the other 100+ anime on my PTW list.

That aside I watch the new Jumanji movie with my wife, it was okay. We also watched Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri last night and it was 'meh'. Last weekend it was Murder on the Orient Express and Victoria and Abdul. I liked both but preferred the latter.

Anyone seen Annihilation? The sci fi nerd within me is dying to see it.

Anyone seen Annihilation? The sci fi nerd within me is dying to see it.

I wanted to see it based on that it is the same director who did Ex Machina, but I can't stand Natalie "wet cardboard" Portman, so I'm on the fence.

I wanted to see it based on that it is the same director who did Ex Machina, but I can't stand Natalie "wet cardboard" Portman, so I'm on the fence.
I agree about Portman, shes a pretty believeable actress tho but very dry at times. But the graphic novels that are the basis for the movie are pretty rad. I need more friends who dig sci fi.

I was flipping through channels and what did I see.... Airwolf :laugh: Remember the name of the lead character? Stringfellow Hawk :doublethumbsup:

@PalmRoyale interestingly almost only referred to as Huckleberry in the german sync. And don't we hate it when the actors behind youth heroes completely lose it...

OK, this was the weirdest thing so far this year I think... "Saataana Kanit", or in English "******* bunnies":

A middle aged man in finnish suburbia gets a bit upset when a satanist sex cult moves in next door. Irritation follows. And squash.

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/****ingbunnies/249551290

I saw Atomic Blonde yesterday and I didn't really enjoy it that much.

Yeah, I saw that on the shelf at the local video store and thought it wasn't going to be so great. This just reassures that. Think I'll avoid it.

Back