What are you cutting cardboard boxes from online shopping with?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the detailed explanation! Yes, the Dragonfly 2 Wharncliffe looks to be a front runner for a folder option. I'd use it, even if my wife might not! ;)

A Wharnie is on my short list. I have standard D'fly and it has seen a ton of use. Great knife and perfectly suitable for an EDC blade if one chooses.

Thoughts on the currently available VG10 blade vs the K390 model that's coming out this year?

I don't have any K390 so I can't give a firsthand comparison. Spyderco runs their VG-10 a little soft so it tends to be sufficiently tough and not chippy as we sometimes think of it in the kitchen cutlery world. It is quite easy to maintain and sharpen but the edge will most definitely not hold up as long as K390.

K390 has a massive amount of vanadium in it so you're talking diamond stones for sharpening. Not sure where you're at with sharpening...?

I don't have any K390 so I can't give a firsthand comparison. Spyderco runs their VG-10 a little soft so it tends to be sufficiently tough and not chippy as we sometimes think of it in the kitchen cutlery world. It is quite easy to maintain and sharpen but the edge will most definitely not hold up as long as K390.

K390 has a massive amount of vanadium in it so you're talking diamond stones for sharpening. Not sure where you're at with sharpening...?

Oh right. No not up to diamond stones yet.
I’ve got a couple of low grit diamond plates for flattening but that’s about it.
Still rocking (and enjoying) my Shapton Glass stones. My technique will need more work to get angle consistency, and I’m intrigued by the HHT (but probably a long way off in terms of skill).
So that’s sounding more like avoiding the K390 version?

Oh right. No not up to diamond stones yet.
I’ve got a couple of low grit diamond plates for flattening but that’s about it.
Still rocking (and enjoying) my Shapton Glass stones. My technique will need more work to get angle consistency, and I’m intrigued by the HHT (but probably a long way off in terms of skill).
So that’s sounding more like avoiding the K390 version?

Not necessarily. Again, I don't have any K390 and will admit, I'm a smidge apprehensive of the vanadium carbide volume, but, I have sharpened a fair bit of higher vanadium stuff. I find you get a smaller burr that you have to watch for but it's not overly terrible so long as you have the right tools.

For a little Dragonfly, a couple Ultra Sharp 6" stones would work well:

https://www.bestsharpeningstones.com/category_details.php?category_id=62
I'd probably go 300 and 600.

But again, if that freaks you out, I wouldn't hesitate on the standard version either. I have a lot of Spyderco VG-10.

A Wharnie is on my short list. I have standard D'fly and it has seen a ton of use. Great knife and perfectly suitable for an EDC blade if one chooses.

I had a Dragonfly in ZDP189. It was a nice little folder as my first EDC bit I found it a pain to sharpen. Lost it and went with a Chaparral which is such a nicer knife. Found the Dragonfly but it will likely never go back in my pocket.

I had a Dragonfly in ZDP189. It was a nice little folder as my first EDC bit I found it a pain to sharpen. Lost it and went with a Chaparral which is such a nicer knife. Found the Dragonfly but it will likely never go back in my pocket.

I have a Chap too. Another very nice knife and while small, it is quite a different knife than the D'fly. Also, the Wharncliffe D'fly should do very well on cardboard so that's why I recommended it.

Wharncliffe dragonfly is even already available in k390. I have urban in k390 and it is really good for box cutting tasks. Small diamond stones are cheap like @HumbleHomeCook suggested. Also, venev diamond stones. In addition, if you stay with low grit, you can most likely do fine without diamonds. A folder to open boxes with is fine at 600 grit. Also, I’ve read good reviews on spyderco’s new CBN combo plate.

Not necessarily. Again, I don't have any K390 and will admit, I'm a smidge apprehensive of the vanadium carbide volume, but, I have sharpened a fair bit of higher vanadium stuff. I find you get a smaller burr that you have to watch for but it's not overly terrible so long as you have the right tools.

For a little Dragonfly, a couple Ultra Sharp 6" stones would work well:

https://www.bestsharpeningstones.com/category_details.php?category_id=62
I'd probably go 300 and 600.

But again, if that freaks you out, I wouldn't hesitate on the standard version either. I have a lot of Spyderco VG-10.

Those stones look a lot like the DMT flattening plates that I've got (although in lower grits), have I got that right?
I've got a nakiri in ZDP189, which I find easy enough to sharpen just on my Shapton Glass stones.
Not spooked at all by the alloys, but if it's saving me time between sharpens.

Wharncliffe dragonfly is even already available in k390. I have urban in k390 and it is really good for box cutting tasks. Small diamond stones are cheap like @HumbleHomeCook suggested. Also, venev diamond stones. In addition, if you stay with low grit, you can most likely do fine without diamonds. A folder to open boxes with is fine at 600 grit. Also, I’ve read good reviews on spyderco’s new CBN combo plate.

Thanks mate, yeah I've got a DMT 140 and I think also a 400 somewhere (which I bought online by mistake thinking that I'd clicked the 140 grit :rolleyes: ). Sounds like it might be worth a try.

Those stones look a lot like the DMT flattening plates that I've got (although in lower grits), have I got that right?
I've got a nakiri in ZDP189, which I find easy enough to sharpen just on my Shapton Glass stones.
Not spooked at all by the alloys, but if it's saving me time between sharpens.

Yep, same concept as DMT. Plated diamond stones. I just often recommend them as they are pretty approachable in price and good quality.

ZDP is chromium carbide so it responds well to Shapton Glass. I've got ZDP and I'd venture to say if you're good with sharpening it, you can handle K390.

No doubt K390 will extend your time between sharpening sessions. Especially after the first couple times sharpening when you get through the inevitably weakened factory steel.

Yep, same concept as DMT. Plated diamond stones. I just often recommend them as they are pretty approachable in price and good quality.

ZDP is chromium carbide so it responds well to Shapton Glass. I've got ZDP and I'd venture to say if you're good with sharpening it, you can handle K390.

No doubt K390 will extend your time between sharpening sessions. Especially after the first couple times sharpening when you get through the inevitably weakened factory steel.

Ahhh, right. I get it now, I had to look up the composition of K390, and yeah, that’s a truckload of vanadium, and they’re harder carbides than the chromium, hence the diamond stone / plate suggestion. Took a while to sink in.
Now I’m really intrigued. I’ve enquired with a local distributor here in Aus, and see if they’re going to get the K390 variant in.

My ”box cutter”, CRKT STIFF K.I.S.S. (Ed Halligan design).

I did the handle wrap back in the day, and as you can see it has held on well for some 20+ years without glue, through various use and abuse. Tried something closer to true flat grind on that one but the heat treat allows for a more shallow angle only so it now sports a healthy secondary bewel along the lines of the one it originally came with. Works fine for its intended tasks.

Attachments

• D98D8C89-B3DF-4FA4-AE41-7E82775C6609.jpeg
    D98D8C89-B3DF-4FA4-AE41-7E82775C6609.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 13
Yeah, it does make definitely sense to go to diamond based abrasives (I use 400 and 2000 stones from Practical Sharpening and a small diamond stone from Venev) with high Vanadium steels, simply because vanadium carbides are (considerably) harder than the abrasives in ceramic stones and while one can still use the stones (it will take considerably more time), the resulting edge does not last as long as it does after sharpening with diamond stones/plates. Personally I would not go past CPM M4, Cruwear, S30V, MagnaCut, etc. with non-diamond abrasives. Steels like S90V, S110V, Maxamet, Rex121, k390 or similar, really deliver their full potential only with diamond based abrasives.

Yeah, it does make definitely sense to go to diamond based abrasives (I use 400 and 2000 stones from Practical Sharpening and a small diamond stone from Venev) with high Vanadium steels, simply because vanadium carbides are (considerably) harder than the abrasives in ceramic stones and while one can still use the stones (it will take considerably more time), the resulting edge does not last as long as it does after sharpening with diamond stones/plates. Personally I would not go past CPM M4, Cruwear, S30V, MagnaCut, etc. with non-diamond abrasives. Steels like S90V, S110V, Maxamet, Rex121, k390 or similar, really deliver their full potential only with diamond based abrasives.

Thanks Matus, one dumb follow up question, do diamonds end up stressing the edge / apex or contribute to additional chipping? Or is that not applicable with high vanadium alloys because of the hardness of the carbides to start with?
Reason for dumb question: Massdrop- Diamond Stones

Thanks Matus, one dumb follow up question, do diamonds end up stressing the edge / apex or contribute to additional chipping? Or is that not applicable with high vanadium alloys because of the hardness of the carbides to start with?
Reason for dumb question: Massdrop- Diamond Stones

I would not expect this effect to be a problem. However - especially when using plates wich act 'harder' as diamond stones, one should be careful and not use too much pressure, as it is easier to damage the edge (literally break it off) - especially with the finer grits (as the apex of the edge is thin already). Do check some videos on YT by Michael Christy - he goes into details of sharpening different high end steels (mostly Spyderco knives) and also mentions this in some of them.

I think this is a bad thread. I think that because it made me order a K390 Wharncliffe Dragonfly.

Question: is there any other knife maker who so delightfully offers all of the fun, different steels in their folders, other than Spyderco?

I think this is a bad thread. I think that because it made me order a K390 Wharncliffe Dragonfly.

Question: is there any other knife maker who so delightfully offers all of the fun, different steels in their folders, other than Spyderco?

Apologies mate, I didn’t know where I’d end up when I started the thread (but that’s half the fun). I’m having trouble sourcing a K390 Wharncliffe Dragonfly 2 in Australia so far, so please do post a review of your experience of slicing cardboard boxes with it!

Apologies mate, I didn’t know where I’d end up when I started the thread (but that’s half the fun). I’m having trouble sourcing a K390 Wharncliffe Dragonfly 2 in Australia so far, so please do post a review of your experience of slicing cardboard boxes with it!

Sure, why not? I ordered mine from Knife Center, but no idea whether they ship to Oz, nor what they might charge if they did.

So if I understand you correctly, this is an excellent thread because you bought a very cool and useful knife, got it.

spyderco is the only knife company I know of that uses such a variety of different steels. They use even more steels in their limited and special runs. A really great knife company.

Latest posts

Back