what are you drinking tonight?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked this up Sunday night, got way too hammered cause I was also doing soju shots and chasing it with Jai Alai so I dont remember if I liked it or not.
20200327_220141.jpg

A couple nice IPAs now it’s time for a Scotch. Liquor stores are closed so I have to ration. Laphroig or Ardbeg?

Yoichi 15 yesterday. Back to wine today. Exploring the Barossa Valley in Australia (from a wine point of view).
Two Hands Ares 2009 ; Standish Shiraz 2015.

Who knows what we'll drink tomorrow. Probably the Pappy 20.

Or that bottle of SMWS (scotch malt whisky society) 12 year old sherried Ardberg that was released not too long ago

I've been experimenting with cocktails since we've been stuck at home, and have come up with a great flexible quarantini. I first made it on International Whiskey Day with Elijah Craig bourbon (next up: St George Breaking & Entering), and tried it last night with Cayman Reef 5 year aged rum and with St George Botanivore gin. All three have been unbelievably fantastic, and I see no reason why it wouldn't work with vodka, tequila, pisco, or any other liquor just as well.

Recipe for The Quarantini as eyeballed by a novice drinkmaker:

2 oz liquor of choice
2 Cuties or other small mandarin oranges, juiced
1 oz honey syrup

Combine in shaker, shake the hell out of it, pour over giant ice ball in a highball glass and serve with a slice of Cutie on the rim. The honey syrup, which you can make by heating equal parts of honey and water in the microwave, will give it a nice froth and some good body to the drink. I garnished the rum version with a few matchsticks of ginger for scent, and think lavender would work really well to garnish the gin one.

Inauguration of my new beer glass.
By the way, if authenticity is your thing, this is the traditional Weissbier glass used in Bavaria:
718UOvQlr3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

There are minor variations in how bulbous the top is, but the principle is the same for all of them: tall, narrow at the bottom and flaring out towards the top, with a thick glass bottom.

By the way, if authenticity is your thing, this is the traditional Weissbier glass used in Bavaria:
View attachment 76183
There are minor variations in how bulbous the top is, but the principle is the same for all of them: tall, narrow at the bottom and flaring out towards the top, with a thick glass bottom.

I have the Weihenstephaner version as well as the Aventinus bulb top version. I'm not 100% convinced that the beer really tastes better out of this glassware but the presentation is impressive.

I have the Weihenstephaner version as well as the Aventinus bulb top version. I'm not 100% convinced that the beer really tastes better out of this glassware but the presentation is impressive.
I don't think it makes all that much of a difference either.

The motivation for the narrow bottom is that it reduces surface area. Because Weissbier is quite fizzy, it tends to go flat more quickly, too; the small diameter bottom allows the last third or so of the beer to retain more of its CO2. If you drink Weissbier out of a normal "Helles" glass, which is basically a cylinder with straight sides, it goes flat more quickly towards the end.

oh, if you ask a Bavarian he will tell you it’s a must lol.... and also exactly how you pour it.... my dad even insists on rinsing the glass with cold water before pouring the beer ....

my dad even insists on rinsing the glass with cold water before pouring the beer ....
Your dad is right, you should listen to your old man ;)

You wet the glass with cold water first because that reduces foaming. With a warm and dry glass, occasionally, you get an absolute explosion of foam.

Last edited:
View attachment 76183
I know that's the traditional weissbier glass, but they are so tall it limits the shelves I can use to store them. My new glass is a wheat beer glass from German glassmaker Spiegelau with a 65cl capacity. That's good enough for me. I'm a bit more anal when it comes to Belgian beer and whisky. Weihenstephaner is the only German beer I drink regularly.

Yes, the height of those glasses is an issue. They are certainly the tallest of any glasses I own.

Don't get me wrong, I do like your glass. It's classy! (Pun intended ;) )

A huge pro of Weißbier is the fact that it’s about the only non alcoholic beer that tastes like the real deal (unless you drink Erdinger.... in that case: Pfui and Shame on you lol).

A Schneider’s Non alcoholic is very good, perfect choice for a post workout drink as well, as it’s very isotonic.

when I lived in Munich I loved to drink the lighter version of wheat beer that are reduced in alcohol content ... you can have two or so and still drive ....

unless you drink Erdinger.... in that case: Pfui and Shame on you lol
Blasphemy! :)

So, I take it that you don't like Erdinger. What options would you suggest? Others that I like: Schneider (in moderation), Franziskaner, Weihenstephaner.

Latest posts

Back