what are you shooting? (handgun thread)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cast, use a hard alloy, and powdercoat. It works great, even at 1800fps out of my friend's 45/70.
Well, PPU makes bullets, and PPU makes cases, I am just missing the tooling to assemble those haha. PPU also sells carcano ammo, but the bullets they use are a couple thousandths too small, so they don't engage the rifling. Some people say they changed that but some say they didn't. I think there may be one or two other brands that make it but they run it far less often. I really just need to get the reloading gear together which is $$$$

I just bought a Glock model 40 10mm to see if I want to carry it in Alaska for bear defense if I go fishing this summer. My S&W model 629 had a broke hammer as I cocked it a few weeks ago and the end of the hammer broke off. I had to send it back to S&W for repair. They said it had been 14 years ago when I last sent it back for a broken trigger. I was worried it would come back with a rough new trigger that would need work but it did not they did a good job and so I can use it. There seems to be some debate on whether a 10mm will work as a bear defense gun.

Took my K31 out to the range recently to stretch its legs. This is a pretty early example, build in 1934, and I was pretty happy to find it a superb shooter out to 400 yards. I would have shot further but that's the longest range I have access to. Not too shabby for being 89 years old

20230111_182039.jpg

20230111_182100.jpg
20221222_221605.jpg

Alright I'll stop hijacking the thread with rifles (for now). This was a pawn shop pickup for 250 bones, had a hammer follow issue but a 15 dollar part from Zastava later and she appears to be good to go, just need to get some ammo and do a functions test. Zastava M57, commercial modem

20230114_173712.jpg
20230114_173720.jpg
20230114_173727.jpg

I've had one of those for a while. Ugly gun, the stock grips aren't great, but I can't argue with the performance. I did have to build up the rear sight some though...good old JB Weld. One of these days I'll get around to putting a nicer set of grips on it and take it out for a spin.

Haha yeah it certainty doesn't win any awards for beauty, but I actually don't really have a problem with the grips. I do have smallish hands though so it fits me pretty nicely stock. I do know Marschal grips makes them for the M57, but if you're thinking about getting some I'd suggest you got on the list sooner rather than later, I heard someone say their order took 6-7 months.

I kinda like the gun metal grey finish it is a steel gun. Also it's thin. Is it 9mm or the Russian 7.62x25 ammo those are high velocity rounds. You can get replacement grips

I kinda like the gun metal grey finish it is a steel gun. Also it's thin. Is it 9mm or the Russian 7.62x25 ammo those are high velocity rounds. You can get replacement grips
I like the finish as well, it's a bit worn down, especially around the mag well where your hands would grip it which I think gives it a bit of a worn look, which I prefer. This one is in 7.62x25, I considered looking for a Chinese one in 9mm for the ease of finding ammo but decided 7.62 sounded like a lot more fun haha. This one has the added frame safety but I know some grip makers make some specifically to cover the hole from the importer safety, so I may remove it and swap in some nice grips.

Read somewhere that the made in Romania ammo is available & very reasonable price.
It was the iron curtin ammo for that reliable
good firing pistol with one shot knockdown power.

The Chinese stuff clocked about 1450 IIRC. The Romanian stuff.....wasn't that the stuff designed exclusively for submachine guns that would destroy the CZ-52 after just a little use....?

Yugo surplus is available right now but they have hard primers for submachinegun use, not sure if the powder charge is the same. I'll probably just run S&B or PPU so I don't have to deal with corrosive primers.

Shot the M57 today after replacing the hammer and giving it a thorough cleaning and oiling. Ran really nice with surplus yugo ammo. Hawaiian shirt is mandatory

It was a beautiful day today in Texas for shooting. I wish I could of got out.

Our shooting range at Coco Head Crater was closed down for quite a while due to workers with higher levels of lead in their systems.

My buddy & I used to load our own rounds on my kitchen table. Would get 357 shells free from indoor shooting range mostly for Japanese tourist. Primers were cheap as was powder & lead. Would shoot revolvers & his rifle at Coco Crater shooting range.

Don't shoot anymore, thought about getting 22 rifle with scope.

My Ruger 100 357 magnum. Remington full jacket rounds for if ever need it.
IMG_20230519_112411992.jpg

Slight detail here, any suggestions for a H.D. shotgun?

Was looking around for a not insanely priced vintage Wingmaster or was thinking of picking up a 590A1 and be done with it.

My LGS has a CZ O/U that I was really tempted to buy which got me looking at SxS with external hammers

Thanks!

Slight detail here, any suggestions for a H.D. shotgun?

Was looking around for a not insanely priced vintage Wingmaster or was thinking of picking up a 590A1 and be done with it.

My LGS has a CZ O/U that I was really tempted to buy which got me looking at SxS with external hammers

Thanks!
There are a lot of good options out there for a good home defense shotgun but style (pump, auto, over/under) and budget matter a lot and I didn't see you put info in there. I've not shot them all, but in my experience shooting them and if money is no option then you should look at the original - Benelli M4 in some variety. However, if price is a consideration, also check out the Mossberg 940 JM Pro and Beretta A300. If you want ultimate reliability, the Remington 870 Tac (pump) is cheap and reliable.

Back