what do you guys use for pocket knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All true, but also kind of funny that in the olden days of lockless slipjoints made out of 1095 and the like they tended to be very thin and great cutters. Somehow with the invention of locks on folders people decided these are fixed blades or pry bars or metal cutting tools or screwdrivers. Somehow the culture of using knives for cutting morphed into using knives for everything else making them bad cutters in the process.

It's because most people buying modern folders, especially expensive ones, either don't know any better and/or just don't actually use them.

The evolution of actual pocket knife use and the appreciation of proper geometry is expressed in people like Shawn Houston. He realized that the answer lie in the steels and treatment that allowed thin grinds but retained high performance.

I'm especially fond of the dudes that will spend hours debating the nuances of lock design and strength to have their $400 knife spend eternity at best in a pocket but often in it's box. These guys also tend to really want "flickability" and a fidget factor with their super tough lock.

That said, spend your money as you wish and there is something to be said for this trend pushing designs.

When I go hiking, I always take my Victorinox Huntsman with me - it's hard to kill and quickly sharpened again. And it's got tweezers and the wood saw is surprisingly good for such a tiny guy. When going on an expedition, I also have a knife that I exchanged for a few pieces of my equipment from a nomad near Lake Chad many years ago. It's not the prettiest blade, but it's pretty hard (good, hardened, high-carbon steel). I'll add a photo.

@HumbleHomeCook - I agree!

Attachments

• image00006.jpeg
    image00006.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • image00007.jpeg
    image00007.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
I picked up a kiridashi higonokami from Bernal and have been carrying it daily for a few weeks and I’m in love. Cheap, durable, and fun to use.

The lack of lock keeps me from doing stuff I probably shouldn’t be doing with a pocket knife. It has never opened up in my pocket and has never come close. It’s also compact enough to easily sit in my pocket and not protrude.

Best part about it is that if it is by far the easiest to sharpen pocket knife I have ever owned. I had some rust spots the other day and I ran through about 5 stones in 8 minutes to give it an admirable finish that was shaving sharp. On top of that it is an excellent stone tester and is super fun on naturals.

For $30 I am beyond satisfied

Brand New
2F923837-E5B0-4B21-AE2F-93B5FC8BB88F.jpeg

The gang with some tlc
1C379DCD-11D4-4856-A10F-707E4D0CD3C3.jpeg

Been using my old Ken Onion design Kershaw Leek as a carry blade. It's well thinned at the tip. A very sharp pointy tip has many uses. Ultimate letter opener. I like the magnacut steel alot on chef knife bought. Started looking at folders. Found a Kershaw Leek in Magnacut. At around 200.00 not cheap got it anyway like the red & black handle.
It's decent sharp OOTB. Know can put a shaving sharp edge on this steel.
20231013_190403.jpg
20231013_190747.jpg

My first blue Kershaw Leek was about 40.00 the design grew on me hollow grind pointy tip. Fairly light & slim. The magnacut steel in folders & outdoor knives is not cheap. Of Kershaw line Leek is my favorite. It's Ken Onion design is timeless. JMO.
200.00 is alot 134.00 is more fair for the much hyped expensive magnacut steel.

Oh **** I just saw the subtle logo, **** me.
Haha not your fault, a lot of people don't know about the carbon fiber front scale version, makes it harder to recognize compared to a plain Ti one
It is a Chris Reeve...It's a "after work" EDC..A little pricey to be beating on it at work.
They are meant to be beaten to hell and back and be the ultimate work knife though! CRK has good warranty and spa services as well!
I ordered the exact same knife a few days. Wanted to see what all the Sebenza fuss is about. Mine arrived yesterday. Beside my current EDC (Benchmade 940-1) for scale.
View attachment 287470
What do you think about it? Personally for the money these days they are a tad overrated. Still great knives though. I much prefer mine with a little bit less lockbar tension, and after polishing the washers on a strop.

Latest posts

Back