what do you guys use for pocket knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really wish they made a medium sebenza, small feels like a toy to me, and large is just a tad bigger than I normally like
I agree...I kinda giggled when I unboxed it and put in my hand,which is much bigger than the knife...I am going to Mexico in Feb and it will be a good Edc for vacation.

Folders are different than kitchen knives trained to take care of carbon knives until stable patina & still wash warm water dry completely it's ingrained. Had to force patina on my spyderco blue steel forgot the bugga & got rust on it.🤪

I grabbed this Boker slip joint on a limited run from countycomm a few years ago. I started carrying it around for office days and really like it. Handles all the small stuff well. Cutting fruit, opening boxes, removing tags, etc.

It’s also nice having a small slip joint with a pocket clip.

IMG_5690.jpeg

IMG_5689.jpeg

My hopeless addiction to folders. Always wanted a full serrated blade after seeing a movie where guy was cutting throats with spyderco. Sorry if politically incorrect.

Police model K390 steel. Same color handle as my thinned Endura. The Endura is good sized blade, the police model is even larger my largest spyderco.

The backside is flat like it should be. So can remove burrs & polish.

Have set of DMT diamond rods thin at tip thicker at handle. Trick is to use light pressure let diamonds do the work & rotate the rod to get even wear.

The K390 is interesting steel. For heavy cutting in industry. High carbon low chromium semi stainless at best. Very high toughness makes it a good blade steel rather hard to sharpen & thin. If you have right tools can keep a very sharp edge on it.
20231220_224626.jpg
20231220_224703.jpg
20231220_224740.jpg

My hopeless addiction to folders. Always wanted a full serrated blade after seeing a movie where guy was cutting throats with spyderco. Sorry if politically incorrect.

Police model K390 steel. Same color handle as my thinned Endura. The Endura is good sized blade, the police model is even larger my largest spyderco.

Have set of DMT diamond rods thin at tip thicker at handle. Trick is to use light pressure let diamonds do the work & rotate the rod to get even wear.

The K390 is interesting steel. For heavy cutting in industry. High carbon low chromium semi stainless at best. Very high toughness makes it a good blade steel rather hard to sharpen & thin. If you have right tools can keep a very sharp edge on it.View attachment 289095View attachment 289096View attachment 289094
That's awesome buddy. Congrats! The police is a LOT of knife for the money and as you already know, Spyderco does K390 very well. My Endela in that steel is finally the one knife that has kicked all the others out of my pocket. My S90V M2LW was a strong contender for a good while but even it fell to the side.

I rather like this Nagao Kanekoma Higonokami. To get the real deal I ordered this one directly from the Nagao Kanekoma knife factory in Miki City, Japan. I first saw these folding knives in the hands of ranch hands in the Cody area back in the 1960's. These ranch hands had returned from military duty in Japan with these folding knives, I just noted how sharp they were. Years later found one in the WW2 Veterans Uncle's toolbox. Once I knew their story purchased one. They are just as sharp as I remembered them. I made the mistake of cutting pickles with it, Instant patina. It is all oiled up now. The blade is clad steel and hand-forged and, except for the edge is roughly finished.

IMG_8608.jpeg

IMG_8606.jpeg

Last edited:
It's called san mai and is extremely common in Japanese knives.
As I now know.

I watched a YouTube of a smith who must have been in his 80s forging the blades for this knife. He had a small, not more than 50-pound power hammer doing the work. As I stated this folding knife was extremely popular with US Army personnel stationed in Japan. Not so much the Navy. The one in my Uncle's toolbox was totally worn out.

Last edited:
I am trying to track down my 90-year-old Case folding knife. It was Grandpa Johnny's. I watched him humiliate what he called a "dude", say it like you had a plug on "chew" in your mouth without moving your lips. These Eastern hunters would come with Bowie knives that looked like machetes. Johnny and one of his ranch hands would then butcher out an elk with a pocket knife, this Case has a 3 1/2-inch main blade.

I am trying to track down my 90-year-old Case folding knife. It was Grandpa Johnny's. I watched him humiliate what he called a "dude", say it like you had a plug on "chew" in your mouth without moving your lips. These Eastern hunters would come with Bowie knives that looked like machetes. Johnny and one of his ranch hands would then butcher out an elk with a pocket knife, this Case has a 3 1/2-inch main blade.
I watched with my own two eyes a rancher butcher a hog so fast with a Case Stockman. to be honest, the guy had hands like sledgehammers. he would use that tiny Stockman and break thru the pelvis bone. and he cut ribs off the backbone!! he would just mumble something like, "you have to feel for the seam..." he would only get bloody fingertips. I would be arm deep in blood/guts. I sucked at it.

The K390 is interesting steel. For heavy cutting in industry. High carbon low chromium semi stainless at best. Very high toughness makes it a good blade steel rather hard to sharpen & thin. If you have right tools can keep a very sharp edge on it.View attachment 289095View attachment 289096View attachment 289094

Hey Keith the word youre looking for is not PC, it's "cringe"

Do love those K390 spydies though. I have some diamonds for my TSProf and it cuts them pretty well. Had to redo the factory bevel on my stretch 2 though, it was not even side to side or even front to back -_-

I've had Sebenzas and Hinderers and the lot. Spydercos cut but ergos have never felt good to me. For what I use a folder, the steel and profile of a regular Kershaw Leek with a deep pocket clip is the one. If I lost it, I'd replace it with the same immediately.

I watched with my own two eyes a rancher butcher a hog so fast with a Case Stockman. to be honest, the guy had hands like sledgehammers. he would use that tiny Stockman and break thru the pelvis bone. and he cut ribs off the backbone!! he would just mumble something like, "you have to feel for the seam..." he would only get bloody fingertips. I would be arm deep in blood/guts. I sucked at it.
Thanks now I know what the knife is presently called it is a Case, Large Stockmen. I don't know if that was what it was called back in the 1930's. Mine has 3 knife blades. a regular blade a sheep's foot blade, and finally a leather awl. it has fake tortoiseshell inserts. When Johnny was not showing off he used a knife that looked like a present-day Buck fixed-bladed hunting knife and a hatchet. He used the hatchet to slit the Elk's pelvis. I wonder what he would have thought of a Leatherman.

Last edited:
Mine is. A small Stockman.
three blades. Clip point, sheeps foot and finally the Spey blade.

I've had Sebenzas and Hinderers and the lot. Spydercos cut but ergos have never felt good to me. For what I use a folder, the steel and profile of a regular Kershaw Leek with a deep pocket clip is the one. If I lost it, I'd replace it with the same immediately.

I'm with you on the Leek. Been using
my 40.00 blue Leek as carry blade for a while. When found a Magnacut bought it. Since this picture sharpened the red & black magnacut blade to a very sharp edge. Also thinned the tip.
20231013_190747.jpg

I gifted a Kershaw Irridium to someone this year. It is a very nice knife. I would say it is the Kershaw version of the Benchmade 940. The axis-style lock is a huge improvement in my opinion. The action was really smooth with no blade play when locked. I don’t know anything about their D-2 but it seemed like a solid knife for under $100.

Thanks now I know what the knife is presently called it is a Case, Large Stockmen. I don't know if that was what it was called back in the 1930's. Mine has 3 knife blades. a regular blade a sheep's foot blade, and finally a leather awl. it has fake tortoiseshell inserts. When Johnny was not showing off he used a knife that looked like a present-day Buck fixed-bladed hunting knife and a hatchet. He used the hatchet to slit the Elk's pelvis. I wonder what he would have thought of a Leatherman.
I tend to carry more than one folder at at time. One of them right now is a Case 10375 (micarta handle scales) 4 1/4-inch closed stockman. I haven't used this knife on any game but I've field dressed deer in the past with similar size stockman knives . I know plenty of locals that use the same on elk but sometimes I think there a little bit of showing off for the city people involved.

I often use box cutters in the warehouse at work, and when I want to cut fruit there are only a couple of dull cheap paring knives. So inspired by this thread I thought it was time to offer myself a nice pocket knife. This is the one that arrived today:
IMG_1808.jpeg

Böker urban trapper with damascus (damasteel I suppose?) blade and cocobolo scales. Classic, classy look, small but big enough, and very light at 52 gram thanks to the titanium liners. Great value too imo, this was less than a decent gyuto. I’m in love!

I have this set of folding knives I just love. The set includes a folding cutting board. I guess these are called "Adventure knife sets" These knives have stainless steel blades, and using hardness files I have determined they have 58 HRC blades, with liner locks. The handles are made of Olive Wood. One thing I like about them is they are held together by Torx screws so you can completely take them apart for complete cleaning. Messermiester has a folding 6" Chef's knife.

IMG_7646.jpeg

IMG_7649.jpeg

IMG_7693.jpeg

IMG_7690.jpeg

I know for a fact that prying a beer cap off a bottle with a Benchmade Bugout is not a very good idea...

you all have some amazing folders. mine are all on the rough looking side. no folder, safe queens in my arsenal. every folder has been on the inside of an animal I have wanted to eat. :D. some instances I wish I had an easier to clean fixed blade instead.

Opinel #12 very old handle, put a new carbon blade on it.
View attachment 289130View attachment 289131

I very much like this folding knife. I once had a folding knife like this one years ago. I ordered the #12 for myself. I will have it on Thursday. As much as I like my Leatherman Wave Plus the simplicity of a single-bladed folding knife is very nice.

Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 11.58.58.png

Last edited:
I know for a fact that prying a beer cap off a bottle with a Benchmade Bugout is not a very good idea...

you all have some amazing folders. mine are all on the rough looking side. no folder, safe queens in my arsenal. every folder has been on the inside of an animal I have wanted to eat. :D. some instances I wish I had an easier to clean fixed blade instead.

This is the answer:
https://www.victorinox.com/us/en/Pr...J1ez-sjvxfmPtIS__k4aAoOeEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
No matter what other knife I'm carrying, this is my one true EVERY DAY carry.

Back