what do you guys use for pocket knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a bit bigger than a paring knife, more like a small petty. I should have gotten the falcon, lol. But this will be better for cutting food. Should have gotten one of these from the start, but I was so obsessed with having carbon steel I never considered practicality.

Opening is tight, but action is smooth. I imagine it will loosen up with use. It's easier to use one handed than the spyderco. Handle more comfortable as well, I was not a fan of g10 scales on caly. Out of box edge is very good so I didn't do initial sharpening, I am guessing steel is equivalent to mac pro which is perfectly fine for it's intended use.

Panda, Old shotgunning trick. When new actions are tight, rub some toothpaste on the friction points then cycle it a bunch of times. The toothpaste has just enough abrasive to loosen things a little but won't affect it long term. And the gun (knife) will smell minty fresh.:cool2:

gave it a good use today. the larger size, i like it after all. it was awkward at first but once i got used to it it's way more useful. kind of like how everyone goes from tiny knives to upto 270 gyutos. the grind i need to work on, i dont like flat grinds, but it gives me a blank canvas to work an asymmetric convex into anyway.

chuckles, let us know what you think when you get one also.

I'm just a home cook but always have my Chris Reeve large Insingo. Works great for cutting bags and stuff that I would not touch with my gyuto or even small paring knives that I try to keep very sharp.

RAT model 2. love the Aus-8 steel. takes a super sharp edge (keep mine at around 3k) and holds it fairly well, as long as you aren't banging it on a steel surface. i use it mostly for fixing food wrap when people don't bother to do it themselves. :disdain:

plus sharpening it on the stones is great practice. if you can sharpen a pocket folder and keep a near perfect bevel, you can probably sharpen just about any large kitchen knife no problem, save for maybe single-bevel knives.

Thread bump!

Can anyone school me on Higonokamis? Basically, what's the difference between the super cheapies and the ones that are slightly more expensive? I quite like this one (and the seller's other offerings). I haven't seen any uber cheap ones with that kurouchi look and Kanji engraved right on the blade. The majority of them I see say they're SK carbon, but the same seller had a titanium handled one that said blue steel in the title and white steel in the description. Linya also has some nice ones, although a bit more expensive and nothing on the handle like all the others I've seen.

Any other good sources to look at?

Jon had (has?) some. Good quality at still reasonable price. I would probably avoid some super cheap stuff - even if these knives are 'mean to be' simple and utilitarian, they still need to be well HTed and forged. I am not sure one can get that for few bucks.

You can have a knife if you have a valid reason (like if you are camping or fishing or are a chef on the way to work) and the laws are generally not rigorously enforced unless someone is being a d**khead (I guess by this, I mean "violent" or "antisocial" )

Generally, I take a knife if I think I might need one. Otherwise I don't really miss having one on me all the time.

My leek was lost a while ago so I am replacing it with a Spyderco Chaparral in Raffir. Seems nice so far, but the wire clip does not inspire confidence (lost a Dragonfly 2 due to the clip).

Jon had (has?) some. Good quality at still reasonable price. I would probably avoid some super cheap stuff - even if these knives are 'mean to be' simple and utilitarian, they still need to be well HTed and forged. I am not sure one can get that for few bucks.

Yeah I saw it mentioned after digging around the forums but I can't find any information or pictures on what he actually stocked.

Doh! Here I was thinking they had gone out of stock because I had searched "Higonokami/Higo" and nothing came up. If only I had searched "folding" or looked in the well hidden paper knives/craft knives section :oops: thanks @parbaked

My leek was lost a while ago so I am replacing it with a Spyderco Chaparral in Raffir. Seems nice so far, but the wire clip does not inspire confidence (lost a Dragonfly 2 due to the clip).

I carry a Leek as well. My favorite pocket knife I've used, though haven't used many, but enough to know what's good and what's garbage. It's super affordable, and I could probably do some food prep with it with it's petty like profile. I like the forward assist it has, and the clip is very sturdy. I will say, don't forget it in your jeans when you do laundry. Mine got stuck in one of the paddles of the dryer and snapped about a 1/4" off. Still use it though

Have found my tiny ladybug on my car keys often comes in handy. Favorite spyderco is super blue. Best grind & gets very sharp. If you think about it a spyderco can be a lethal weapon. Crafted with good hand grip, stiff locking blade.

So I'm in the position where I actually need one of these now. There's a ton of new inventory at work and the x-actos have all gone missing (not like they were fun to use anyway). But maybe by the time I get one shipped to me everything will be unpacked/assembled anyway. I've been digging around the web but I trust you guys more than any other source.

I still like higos over everything else and I've been waiting for a restock of blue steel with titanium handles from a certain seller. The biggest plus of one is that they'd be incredibly easy to sharpen on my stones as-is. But I'm worried about the thumb position for stuff like breaking down big cardboard boxes and chipping it in the chance I hit it against a hard surface. On the other hand, I don't like the look of most "tactical" knives and most are too big for me. The price/simple look of the Sanrenmu clones are attractive, but I'm worried about quality and that they'll be an annoyance to sharpen. A co-worker has a Kershaw and I like the look of the Chill which is nice and small.

:confusedsign:

The price/simple look of the Sanrenmu clones are attractive, but I'm worried about quality and that they'll be an annoyance to sharpen.

:confusedsign:

Some months back I got a couple of Sanrenmu Land something or other and let me tell you, there is no better blade for that price point ever. High praise? yeap. I think it was in the $10 range and damn if it didn't take 3 months to arrive, but, wow, my XM-18, which costs a small fortune by comparison, is jealous. 12C27 makes it just terrific to sharpen and hold an edge.

My sub $100 choices = Delica 4...if that's too big then Dragonfly...if you want something more fun to play with then Mini Griptillian.
Any of these will slay cardboard!

Some months back I got a couple of Sanrenmu Land something or other and let me tell you, there is no better blade for that price point ever. High praise? yeap. I think it was in the $10 range and damn if it didn't take 3 months to arrive, but, wow, my XM-18, which costs a small fortune by comparison, is jealous. 12C27 makes it just terrific to sharpen and hold an edge.

Out of curiosity what do you sharpen it on? It seems there's a Sanrenmu clone/style for every taste. Maybe I should get one just for work that I'm not afraid to beat up/lose and get a nice higo for novelty after that.

My sub $100 choices = Delica 4...if that's too big then Dragonfly...if you want something more fun to play with then Mini Griptillian.
Any of these will slay cardboard!

I hate to say it, but something about the Spyderco knives turns me off, I think it's the shape (personal tastes I guess). I do love that Benchmade though. Thanks for the suggestions.

Kershaw 3/4 ton.....gets absolutely stupid sharp quickly or the Ososweet. Same steel. And for $15 if you lose it so what.

Back