What ingredients do you not know what to do with?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C1E985E4-B1BE-4F1B-98A9-2D9A54F7BCD3.jpg

Never used it. Maybe give some yummy funkiness to Caesar salad? Although, tossing into stir fries prob a safer bet.

You should water the kidneys in the fridge overnight. Some people use milk instead of water. Pork, lamb, and veal kidneys are milder than beef kidneys, which are a bit too strong for many people. At any rate, soaking them removes the off odours. Trim out the white centre part, and get rid of any blood vessels that might still be attached.

There are plenty of ways to prepare them. For example, breaded and fried, or make heart and kidney stew, or a lamb’s fry, or a beef and kidney pie.
Yup. Although I use at least three changes of water. And what I make with them is a Sichuan stir fry (pork) kidney dish that is so good that I am blown away every time. It's in Fuchsia Dunlop's Sichuan cookbook. It's also a great dish for justifying your hoard of super-sharp knifes, first with the challenge of removing the cores, and then needing a sharp and thin at the point knife to score a clean diamond pattern on the skin side.

Cheesecloth.

Like old friends after kids, cheesecloth and I never quite manage to sync up.

I see it in the supermarket a-dangling in the aisle, and I think, “yeah, there was that recipe last year that called for straining; I should get this.”

When I get home I never know where to stow it. With the Ziploc bags and the aluminium foil? With the coffee filters? With the kitchen towels? And there it sits for a year or more. Where? There! Where? There! Where? I don’t know.

So the next time I encounter a cheesecloth recipe, I angrily use a coffee filter instead.

And the cycle repeats.

Last edited:
When I get home I never know where to stow it. With the Ziploc bags and the aluminium foil? With the coffee filters? With the kitchen towels? And there it sits for a year or more. Where? There! Where? There! Where? I don’t know.

So the next time I encounter a cheesecloth recipe, I angrily use a coffee filter instead.

And the cycle repeats.
Get three packages and put them in the first three places you think it might belong.

I'm trying to imagine straining 2 gallons of stock through a coffee filter.

Back