What knife purchase do you regret?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We always talk about our new purchases and how great they are but what about the ones we don’t shout about, what have you bought that failed to impress?

I’ll go first… my Saji R2. For the price of it the F&F was terrible; very angular spine and choil that made it uncomfortable to use, wa handle did not have a smooth transition between the ferrule, spacer and main body. Total ***** to sharpen.

I feel very fortunate that I've managed to recoup most of the cost of knives I haven't been thrilled with by selling them. I've been extra lucky in that 2 of the last 3 turned out to be local, so I didn't even have to deal with shipping. That being the case I can't say I regret them, they didn't suit me, but I've learned a lot from my "mistakes."

There have been many knives that I've bought that I decided that didn't meet my criteria and I sold. Of those, there has only been two that I was truly disappointed in. One I disliked just handling it out of the box. The other was a nice knife decently executed by a well known maker - it however missed the mark in in several ways in my opinion of what it should've been.

As both knives are in the hands of other KKF members now and they seem to like them, I don't want to disparage a knife in someone else's collection, so I'm not going to comment on what they actual were.

There have been many knives that I've bought that I decided that didn't meet my criteria and I sold. Of those, there has only been two that I was truly disappointed in. One I disliked just handling it out of the box. The other was a nice knife decently executed by a well known maker - it however missed the mark in in several ways in my opinion of what it should've been.

As both knives are in the hands of other KKF members now and they seem to like them, I don't want to disparage a knife in someone else's collection, so I'm not going to comment on what they actual were.

Fair comment. I’m aware this could turn in to a bashing post which was not my intention.

Kikumori Asagiri. Part of this is kind of atypical - the listed specs online were 54mm height but mine came in at only 51, which is fairly significant. Part of this is the classic "buy once cry once": I actually wanted the Yugiri but it was OOS and this was significantly cheaper. I eventually sold the Asagiri (buyer knew the actual specs of course) and bought the Yugiri (which did have the expected height) and now I'm happy. Lesson learned: wait for the thing you actually want (and one was on BST for a really low price later, so maybe I should've just made a WTB...)

All this Sobakiri, Menkiri stuff i have never used. Some from EU makers that was were nice but had some terrible unhygienic handles not usable at work like brushed bok oak, screws, wrought iron ferrules and stuff like that. And of coarse a Sabatier, bent thick, sorry not thick fat behind the edge and a steel that lost sharpness while looking at it.

SirCutALot

Tojiro 270mm Yanagiba-I found multiple low spots after first sharpening.

Burffection 240mm KS clone gyuto-It refused to get sharp doesn’t matter how much time I spend on sharpening. Some ppl said it’s easy for them to sharpen so maby the one I received have very bad heat treatment. It also making this weird sound at the handle.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    11.3 MB
Last edited:
Have one from a western maker, same situation as above won’t name names just because it isn’t to my taste.

The profiles wonderful, the handle is awesome, the steel is great. But the grind is so disappointing for its price point. It’s…fine. By far the weakest part of the package. I got it when I was starting my BST rampage some months ago so it was one of my more expensive knives at the time, and even then it was my most disappointing.

Have one from a western maker, same situation as above won’t name names just because it isn’t to my taste.

The profiles wonderful, the handle is awesome, the steel is great. But the grind is so disappointing for its price point. It’s…fine. By far the weakest part of the package. I got it when I was starting my BST rampage some months ago so it was one of my more expensive knives at the time, and even then it was my most disappointing.

After trying a couple knives where the cutting feel wasn’t to my preference, I’ve learned to be much better about my research and not make buying decisions solely on the name/rep of the maker. Sometimes I’ll buy a knife just because it’s gorgeous and I can’t resist, but I view those more as collectible art where I don’t care as much about the cutting performance.

I regret my y. Kato honesuki. I actually really like it both in use and on the stones, but I wish I had waited for something with better edge retention. Or get better at breaking down chicken.

I’m guilty of impulse buying and this one haunts me like 3 times a week.

For me would be the Moritaka cleaver, the profile was just dead flat. As I don't have power tool, it take ages to correct the profile on stones.

Thank God I never regret all of the knife I bought because I did some research before buying it.

Some knives that I sold simply because I bought a new knife or maybe I just over bought LOL.

I had a dream last night (no joke!) that I bought a Moritaka 270 suji and a Misono UX10 santoku from Evan (@Smashmasta) at what I think was supposed to be Strata, but which looked a lot like a big box store. The knives were next to the nerf guns. I regretted both purchases, despite the excellent customer service.

The first one.
By some miracle my first knife purchase was an excellent one: An old Sabatier. It is still one I love using today.

Attachments

• Sabatier, old gold handled carbon steel chef's knife 240.jpeg
    Sabatier, old gold handled carbon steel chef's knife 240.jpeg
    596.9 KB · Views: 0
On the other end of the spectrum, the worst was unquestionably the Kamikoto. That thing is damned near fraud. The Misen set I bought when it first came out is decent for what it is (albeit not, perhaps, all they claim it is) however I still use the bread knife. So it wasn't a total waste. Just mostly.

I don’t really regret any of the knives I’ve bought but I will say thanks to KKF my last few were much better than my first couple, and they just seam to get better and better as time goes on. With that said if I new at the beginning what I know now I would have chosen differently, but still no regrets!

hands down my biggest knife buy regret was a hitohira futana aogami super 165mm bunka
Tell us more about this please. I've always been tempted to recommend these to folks on a super tight budget because the look so good and are very affordable. However I usually don't because I've never held one in my hand and used it. I'd like to know your experience.

Back