What knife was your first “crush” ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Teruyasu Fujiwara, white#1, his HT with White#1 is stellar, sharpest knife I've owned.

4 Star Elephant 10" nogent Sabatier--still have it (as well as 6" petty, 10 inch slicer and 3" parer).

very first 'knife crush' was a 270 tanaka ginsanko from metalmaster, super rough OOTB so i put a ton of work into it and even got a custom handle (plain octo rosewood with pakka ferrule) made by tim johnson. man i miss that knife.

very first 'knife crush' was a 270 tanaka ginsanko from metalmaster, super rough OOTB so i put a ton of work into it and even got a custom handle (plain octo rosewood with pakka ferrule) made by tim johnson. man i miss that knife.

There must been an awesome bond after putting all that work into it. I have never tried a ginsanko before, how do you like it?

The knife that got me into jknives was and still is a Misono Swedish honesuki. Made me fall in love with carbon blades

Tanaka damascus B2 nakiri. I think I paid something like 50 bucks for it at the time from MM. I could've never believed what a little gem it turned out to be. One of the best grinds I've ever seen on any knife.

Still have it, use it and love it!

I thought I was lucky to get some Zwilling knives for employee prices when I was in my young adult years in Germany - until I tried to sharpen the dang things. A friend got a set of Globals and was raving about how much better Japanese knives are. I started looking around and somehow I came across a Watanabe sale and picked up his small set which included the kurouchi nakiri. That’s when the madness began...

Stefan

I started looking around and somehow I came across a Watanabe sale and picked up his small set which included the kurouchi nakiri. That’s when the madness began...

Can't blame you, a Watanabe nakiri would have been a revelation moment, my 180 is still one of the top knives I have tried (and the best nakiri I have tried without question).

36 years ago got my first Japanese gyuto. Masamoto carbon 240mm. The older Masa had thin grind with quite a bit of distal taper. Wore it down over the years at work. Long gone.

Carter mini funayuki. Once I got the blade shape reprofiled, it just hits me in all the right places. Nice and cute, thin, nimble, sharp as hell, with two of my favorite woods for the handle (maple and osage orange). I knew when I saw it I was going to buy it, then I had to spend 3 weeks working myself up to drop the cash.

Edit: Actual Carter, not Muteki, although I do really like that one too. Seriously solid knife.

Niwaki-boy beat me by 17 minutes. My first knife crush was my official Boy Scout knife purchased when I was 10 or 11 which would have been 1967 or 1968. I have had an incurable propensity to buy knives for my pocket, belt and kitchen every day since then. And, yes, I still have my official Boy Scout knife. I even carry it occasionally.

I came across this forum this evening looking for sharpening tips on a Shujihiki that I was just given as a gift. Nice to find some like minded individuals.

Takeda NAS banno bunka. Still have it, of course.

The first one :) got when I was four.
qDpCybN

EM8TSJs.jpg

This is a difficult question. A crush is defined as, "an intense and usually passing infatuation". If I'm to stick to that definition and apply it to an object rather than a person, I would have to list a knife I've never actually had.

In September '16, Lucretia posted her knife in World's Most Beautiful Knife - a Mareko Maumasi. I was immediately smitten. Investigated getting on his waiting list but was short of funds at the time. Also started a WTB thread searching for one - no luck. I was lucky enough to borrow one briefly last year. I really must do something about this crush - it feels like unrequited love... or is that lust? Who cares! Just want one.
:rolleyes:

My knife crush includes using them not just perusing.

For me it us the Denka 210mm western Gyuto. It ghosts through everything, stiff and confident to the tip and with nice weight. The heat treatment and sharpness is simply awesome. I almost traded it but glad I have not!

1) makoto
2) customs from @makeitsharper on instagram.

I used to live a couple of blocks from the original Bernal Cutlery; when it shared a space with a Jewish deli and a lady from Argentina who sold awesome empanadas. I remember stopping in to grab lunch and drooling over the Ashi honesuki maru, but I knew I really didn't "need" it....
ashihamonohonesukima.jpg

Back