What makes the Watanabe Pro 180mm so good (and maybe some competing Nakiris worth checking out)?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warriorsfan

Reaction score
So I've been looking to get a Nakiri for a while now, and the Watanabe seems to be the most recommended Nakiri by far. But considering it costs $430 (Enju handle with Saya, not incl. shipping), I really want to make sure I'm getting my money's worth. I want to know why the Watanabe is recommended over other Nakiris, and maybe some alternatives/competition to the Watanabe. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm almost all but set on Wat and at this stage I'm willing to spend the cash, but I just want to make sure it's what I'm looking for. Thanks for the help!

Can't comment on the Wat as I've never owned one. But regarding alternatives, I opted for the Morihei Hisamoto 165. I got it direct from TF (they are the OEM supplier) with a 'Fine Finish'. Iron clad W#1 inhouse forged. Core steel and HT like a Maboroshi. A total bargain at $185

I have the 180 Wat which I really like. While I'm not on board with the 70mm+ tall mini-cleaver nakiris I do like heights at or above 55mm. The Watanabe couples blade height with good balance, an excellent grind, and nice steel. If I were looking for alternatives the Toyama (very much not the same as the Wat, different grind) and Catcheside would be on my short list.

The Watanabe couples blade height with good balance, an excellent grind, and nice steel. If I were looking for alternatives the Toyama (very much not the same as the Wat, different grind) and Catcheside would be on my short list.

I second this, and agree re Toyama. I have both and use my Toyama more (but I ain’t sellin’ the Wat).

PREFACE - I've had a few nakiri over the years, including one from Watanabe, but they are not my preferred blade style and I haven't had one in the kit in a number of years.
That said, if you "...really want to make sure I'm getting my money's worth..." then you should be happy with a Watanabe as the knife only costs 28,000JY, or $256 USD. The balance of the cost you've quoted is a personal choice cosmetics aesthetic. Nothing wrong with that, but the blade is $256.
Watanabe has had a very positive relationship with this group of 'knife knuts' for over two decades, and his knives represent a closer relationship with a skilled master craftsman than perhaps other offerings. But is his blade going to be 'better' than competing offerings? Better is such a subjective term.
If I was comparing the Gyuto I had (really liked, too) with other gyutos's was his better? No. I really liked it, and I wouldn't have mistaken it for any of my other gyutos, and I only sold it because of my 'covid-employment' finances, but it wasn't worse, or better. It was definitely a Watanabe.

I really like to use nakiri at home and have tried a bunch. I think the Watanabe is the preferred nakiri brand for the forum because it hits all the points that people tend to care about: thin behind the edge, still fairly sturdy, solid profile, easy to sharpen, decent aesthetics, consistent output, etc.

You're basically going to get a knife guaranteed to be a decent performer. Are there other knives that do certain aspects better? Absolutely. Are there other great deals out there? 100% yes. But what you're getting for the price point is something that is going to be a great knife straight out of the box.

If you want to get the best bang for your buck - there's plenty of cheap carbon nakiri out there for $70-80. Aesthetics won't be great, but with a little work on those, you can still get a decent performer. Also, unless you travel with your knives you really don't need a saya.

Also consistency and convenience. You don't hear bad things about these knives and they are expensive but pretty much built indestructible, stainless clad and sturdy enough to not feel afraid of beating it up.

Resale value is also way better than the majority of other makers so your use won't depreciate value as much. If you don't like it, you could probably sell it on BST for close to the price you paid (without saya and stuff) within a day. Pretty sure a carter nakiri is has gone unsold on here for close to a month, gl pricing a wat nakiri to do that.

It's well balanced and well sized (in addition to being well made), natural in hand and easy to use for someone who wants to use a 180mm nakiri. Middle of the road and not too tall relative to the length. It's about 200 grams. For comparison, a 180mm Toyama is about 180 grams, Mazaki is about 230 grams, Jiro would vary maybe about 260 grams. Something like a Western handle Teruyasu Fujiwara is 195mm and 360 grams, and feels completely different.

It's well balanced and well sized (in addition to being well made), natural in hand and easy to use for someone who wants to use a 180mm nakiri. Middle of the road and not too tall relative to the length. It's about 200 grams. For comparison, a 180mm Toyama is about 180 grams, Mazaki is about 230 grams, Jiro would vary maybe about 260 grams. Something like a Western handle Teruyasu Fujiwara is 195mm and 360 grams, and feels completely different.
The Toyama nakiris vary substantially. Mine was 225g.

Steel is very nice, fit and finish is kinda ok (spine is smooth, choil is very rough), geometry is I would say on the thicker end of middleweight. It does everything well.

I find wat handles overpriced (though the enju does look good). My recommendation is to have the stock handle in hand first, and then buy a replacement handle based on where you want the balance point. Makes a big difference in the feel of the knife.

@josemartinlopez do you own those knives?

20210326_233605.jpg
20210326_233626.jpg

The weight really varies. My 180 carbon clad toyama with the original basic handle is 228g and heard of even heavier. Also heard about 180g but I guess both are extremes (low/high)...

I ve tried some nakiris and I love my Toyama it does everything well...
I d love to try the Raquin though...

Hope you can wait, he’s on vacation till the end of April.

I love Nakiris and I’ve never met one that I didn’t like.

Out of all the knives that I’ve rehandled, the only one I’ve ever tried (with owners permission) was the Wat Pro Nakiri. I don’t know if it lives up to the hype (my expectations may have been too high) but I thought it was a great knife for a great price. It’s the only knife on my bucket list for less than $500.

There are lots of other options, but if you have your mind set on it, take the jump!!!

C504A109-26E6-4B59-9621-9DE5933B7733.jpeg
i

Last edited:
Hope you can wait, he’s on vacation till the end of April.

I love Nakiris and I’ve never met one that I didn’t like.

Out of all the knives that I’ve rehandled, the only one I’ve ever tried (with owners permission) was the Wat Pro Nakiri. I don’t know if it lives up to the hype, but I thought it was a great knife for a good price. It’s the only knife on my bucket list for less than $1K.

There are lots of other options, but if you have your mind set on it, take the jump!

View attachment 120303i

My God You glorious sonofabich 😍😍😍

Please tell me that's blue 1

Hey y'all! Does anyone know if Watanabe offers his Nakiri with just the Nashiji (no Kuruochi) finish on request?

Last edited:
Is it possible for a iron clad instead of stainless? and asking for a non Kurouchi finish?

I can't speak for the Wat model, but this Shinko Seilan AS nakiri from Kamo Shiro is a fantastic knife at a great price. I've had it around a year, use it frequently, it has maintained a super sharp edge throughout and is a joy to use. Disclaimer: this is also the only nakiri I have ever owned/used, so...

My understanding is that he only does iron clad white steel or stainless clad blue for his double bevel knives now. He occasionally puts iron clad blue knives in his specials page but from what I have read he won't make them custom anymore. Not sure about the different finishes but I'm guessing he will for extra $. He is usually very responsive so I would just email (may have to wait until he reopens though).

As for his standard pro nakiri it's excellent. I wanted a slightly bigger knife so I ordered a custom 195x65 in iron clad white. Was quoted 6 months late last year. I sold my 180 because I had this one on order but regret it. It was my favourite knife for sure.

I have followed the @nakiriknaifuwaifu method and tried to fill the void with several pointy knives recently but until I have another Watanabe rectangle in my drawer there will always be something missing.

Back