What sort of knives using in the busy kitchen.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brucewml

Reaction score
Really curious in the busy and fast pace kitchen. What kind of knives people are using? Considering the maintaining and edge retention. I try to using one of honyaki gyuto. But I have to say I have no time really look after it. So I am curious what you guys using or any tips keep carbon knives from rusting.

Thanks so much.

What type of food do you make in the kitchen? I am working at really busy sushi restaurant and my best performance knives are 230mm nenox sujihiki and 300mm nenox gyuto. Carbon knives will rust during working hours no matter what. I like carbon knives but in the busy kitchen I prefer stain resistance steels, ginsanko, stainless, etc.
And I do not recommend anything longer than 300mm in the busy kitchen because it will slow down your work and there's higher chance to get injured. That's why I am planning to get another nenox 240mm gyuto. Edge retention is great.

Used a Honyaki for Banquet prep. cut everything let it patina. Carbon works best when used a lot every day, just wash & wipe dry at end of shift. Only time oiled it was when not being used.

Right now, a couple of r2 knives, AS stainless clad, mono carbon....not really particular about the steel, though I've been getting away from iron clad for work.....that being said, I took a fujiyama w2 to work the other day and it was very manageable and a joy to use, so that could change soon

My preferred is a Tesshu 270mm b2 gyuto, but some days for prep I prefer my cheapo chinese cleaver or Tojiro dp if I really want something stainless. Just depends.

Tanaka b2 and terayusa 165 nakiri for prep, service I just run with a small knife, either a 210mm takamura or a 150mm petty, something I can put to the side and is sharp when I need her.

I just use whatever knife I feel like, even iron clad. It will get spots, but most of them get a nice patina instead of nasty rust. Some of them I had to build patina at home though such as the Doi gyuto and Akebono. Most blue holds an edge like I need it to, not all white does. I’ve gotten good at using a 270 in a tight space, might try a 300 soon and that looks like the max size for that space (a guy I work with uses a 7” even for prep and when choosing a new knife said he didn’t want anything like “those d__n swords use”).

What type of food do you make in the kitchen? I am working at really busy sushi restaurant and my best performance knives are 230mm nenox sujihiki and 300mm nenox gyuto. Carbon knives will rust during working hours no matter what. I like carbon knives but in the busy kitchen I prefer stain resistance steels, ginsanko, stainless, etc.
And I do not recommend anything longer than 300mm in the busy kitchen because it will slow down your work and there's higher chance to get injured. That's why I am planning to get another nenox 240mm gyuto. Edge retention is great.

I used to work in a very busy Sushi restaurant and used only carbon steel knives with no issues, 300mm yanagiba, 210mm petty and 240mm gyuto was my main knives.

Really curious in the busy and fast pace kitchen. What kind of knives people are using? Considering the maintaining and edge retention. I try to using one of honyaki gyuto. But I have to say I have no time really look after it. So I am curious what you guys using or any tips keep carbon knives from rusting.

Thanks so much.
Right now I just use a cheap santoku sekizo that I was gifted, stainless steel for use on the line where everyone uses it and you don’t have time to keep it clean. And then use a Gekko Kiritsuke Blue Carbon that I Love but since it’s carbon I can Only use for prep. I have to wipe it off regularly, especially like onions or tomatoes I wipe every couple minutes. Meat I don’t really wipe at all so it builds a blue patina, just wipe afterwards. Just make sure you’re cleaning the blade regularly and you won’t get rust. I rarely like once every two weeks add any oil to the knife.

I used to work in a very busy Sushi restaurant and used only carbon steel knives with no issues, 300mm yanagiba, 210mm petty and 240mm gyuto was my main knives.

What did you use the 210 petty for?

210 laser petty excels in sushi roll cutting and thin avocado slicing :D

I am working in a multi kitchen this moment much more like hotel situation. Floating around not really stay in one place. Mainly on service. Cause have too many carbon knives can not really use in busy service or as line knives. So feel annoying .

I am working in a multi kitchen this moment much more like hotel situation. Floating around not really stay in one place. Mainly on service. Cause have too many carbon knives can not really use in busy service or as line knives. So feel annoying .

I keep a 10" Montana brand stainless steel chef knife around for these purposes. I believe this brand is made by Dexter-Russell. These knives are roughly the same quality as a Forschner Victorinox but cheaper. You can find them on ebay or amazon for 10-15$. It's cheap and tough. Edge retention is not great but if I want a really fine edge I grab my veggie cleaver or my carbon gyuto. This is for line service, cracking lobsters, loaning to coworkers, cutting a frozen block of whatever into smaller chunks, poking an air vent in a can of olive oil, repairing a loose rivet on a saute pan, i.e. anything I wouldn't want to use a decent knife for.

Back