What stones have you found useful in a way that you did not expect?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here are mine.

Shapton Glass 500

This stone hardly needs an introduction. If there were a poll for "best overall synthetic," it would at least have a shot at the #1 spot. I use mine all the time. I think of it as a go-to for light repair and re-beveling, and so do a lot of other sharpeners.

But it also has that Shapton Glass thing where, if you really lighten up on the pressure, it can behave much finer than its nominal grit. I've had several experiences in which I set out to do a repair, keep refining the edge and lightening the pressure, and find that I have a perfect toothy edge for the kitchen, with no need for any further work. One and done.

If I do that with the 1000, I get a very refined edge, but without enough tooth, and I have to put the knife on something else to get the bite I want.

NanoHone Diamond 10 micron and 1 micron

These are strange "stones," seemingly woven from fibers with diamond in them. They have holes all over them. I decided I didn't like them much; I kept getting the edge or tip caught in one of those holes. I couldn't quite bear selling them (I have a supersteel razor that benefits from them), but it was a close thing from time to time.

It turns out that they are awesome strops, especially for high-carbide steels. I felt stupid when I realized this, because I remembered then that Nanohone sells a long, narrow version for use as strops. At least didn't sell them before trying that. I wonder what would happen if I stropped on the 25 micron...

Some time ago I bought a broken Turkish hone. I mounted the larger piece in a base to use, but threw the smaller part in a box. I didn't want to throw it away, because I knew it would be handy for something one day.

Yesterday was the day. Turns out it makes an excellent axe stone. Just the right size and speed for working a stationary axe head. Had this hatchet shaving arm hair in no time.

ADE10896-6A73-4CA4-8F2B-7835186F77E9.jpeg

Last edited:
I wont say I didn't expect it, but I picked up a very worn, grungy slate today, for practically nothing, because I could see the beauty within. I'll test it tomorrow, but with oil I'll bet money its a really nice razor finisher.

7EFA1692-CC85-4B7C-84FF-EAD9E9402E93.jpeg

9E740F30-DD31-4490-95E0-3899625F954B.jpeg
EB970FF8-F281-42B8-9A7E-07402AB4078F.jpeg

I was about to make a joke about a boulder and a door stopper, but then I realized its something one would expect. So yea…

Norton India is surprisingly fast when not loaded, I like it when working on very dull/cheap knives.
That’s probably the only stone that surprised me in a positive way.

Naniwa Pro 3k. I pretty much bought it as an 'intermediate' grit.... to finish knives for butchery, or to set the stage for finer stones but if I'm honest I could just finish everything on this one and not bother with any of the finer stones.

Inherited this goofy set from my grandfather when he passed. The oblong profile is a solution in search of a problem, but the quarter round portion actually makes a great compact honing rod for a travel kit. The pair takes up less room than a traditional rod, and you get two grits. Pretty sweet.
https://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=95
1673937717953.jpeg

1673937642619.jpeg

I was surprised to find out that coticules and Blue Belgian work very well with other than simple carbon steel types. Must have been some strange prejudice that a traditional stone wouldn't work with other than traditional steels.
I like the edge it gives me on Z-wear, along with a Washita.

Inherited this goofy set from my grandfather when he passed. The oblong profile is a solution in search of a problem, but the quarter round portion actually makes a great compact honing rod for a travel kit. The pair takes up less room than a traditional rod, and you get two grits. Pretty sweet.
https://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=95View attachment 220110
View attachment 220109

Many years ago, Sal showed how he used those for fish hooks, gaffs, etc.

https://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=95View attachment 220110
View attachment 220109
A beautiful memory of your late grandfather - and a coveted Spyderco product that is no longer available. Honor the set!

I have to admit, I'm a bit jealous, I've been looking for exactly this set for a long time in vain!

400 grit chosera gives the 500 glass a run for it's money but yeah the low grit Chosera are where that line really shines imo. A good course stone is worth it's weight in gold. You really can't go wrong with either the 320 SP, 500 SG or 400 Chosera, but for my money the Chosera is something special. If I have to pick one course stone, this is it. Works superbly as a sharpening stone for resistant steels like HAP40 or stuff more common in EDC land like say k390 or s110v. Basically it works the same way a 1k would on a "normal" steel.

The 12k SS is the best finisher and "strop replacement" stone I have found and I have owned and tried a stupid amount of finishers. The grit rating like with everything I've come to find is arbitrary. This 12k is actually a half micron abrasive. The gummy surface is perfect for stroping strokes, it's the best razor finisher I've ever seen by objective measures, and it works on every kind of steel. It's worth it's weight in gold. Any time someone is looking for a "strop replacement" type stone, this is my default suggestion. Cleans up the edge marvenlously, gives a true mirror finish, works fast and easy, slow wearing, splash and go. Great. I love this stone. It's so versatile.

Shapton glass 4k is a sharpening stone, and for a finer grit and splash and go it cuts extremely well and fast. If you like the feel of something like a shapton pro 2k, this is up that alley but higher performance and with the SG buttery feel. 6k is when the finishers start on the SG line.

12k SP is actually extremely similar in feel and finish to a very expensive Chosera 10k. The Chosera takes a bit of water and feels a bit softer I guess you could say, but otherwise they are VERY similar stones. I was quite surprised to find that after I spent the money.

The 6k Cerax is not a finishing stone. It's a sharpening stone, with a similar finish to that 3k Chosera, probably even less, maybe like the 2k chosera. Butter smooth and fast cutting like any cerax, but not a finisher. Cuts much faster than something like a 3k chosera and with much more feedback, downsides is of course it has to be soaked a bit, it dishes quick, relative to chosera, and makes a big mess quick.

Most over rated and over suggested stone of all time: 3k Chosera. I'm pretty sure people just suggest it because Ryky did, but did anyone bother to listen to his reasoning? He doesn't think mirror edges look professional, whatever that means. Cool. Sorry but that's just a side effect. For $130 it was one of the first stones I got, on his suggestion, and easily one of the most skippable and least used stones. I cringe when I see people suggest this to newbs as some kind of vital must have kit. No. It's not a sharpener or a finisher, it's basically a touch up stone. You could use it as a course finisher if you don't like the look of shiney edges for whatever reason, sure.

Grit ratings are arbiotrary. Chosera stones are as follows: 400, 600 - course. 800, 1k - sharpening. 2k, 3k - fine sharpening/touch up. 5k, 10k - finisher. SP the 2k is a sharpener, along with the 1k, and 1.5k. 5K, 8k and 12k are finishers. You only "need" one from each category.

I'm gonna stop ranting like a loon now. Bye.

Last edited:
Back