What're your current favorite knives? Here’re the faves of my rotation.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DitmasPork

Reaction score
Curious to know what knives are stalwarts in other peoples' kits.

My taste in knives have evolved over the past few years. I'm finding that my preferences are gyutos with a bit of heft to them—good all around knives that're not too delicate. Since I don't do a lot of finesse work, lasers haven't made it into the rotation.

240s the most comfortable length for me, the three gyutos that're currently seeing the most action for me are the Mazaki, Lefty Marko, and Kato WH, all carbons.

Knife preferences are subjective, based on what works for me, shaped by personal aesthetic taste and what I can afford—would love to have a Bill Burke, but way out of my price range. There are a couple of highly revered knives that I've just not clicked with—one was a 240 semi-stainless older batch Gengetsu, wonderfully crafted gyuto, but just not me, ended up doing a trade with it; the other is a 240 Konosuke Fujiyama, that's beautiful, but has been a drawer queen.

The Maz, Marko and Kato have been fulfilling my current needs. For travel I'll be grabbing the Tanaka Ginsan I just acquired.

For sashimi/sushi I've been using either my lone Yanagiba, 270 lefty Shigafusa or the Marko—or occasionally the 270 lefty Masahiro carbon sujihiki (not pictured).

Passengers in my minimalist five slot knife roll are usually two gyutos and two pettys—along with vegetable peeler, two Kunzs spoons, lefty spatula.

BfNbT94.jpg

my “current “ favourites change depending on when you ask of course. But for the last 2-3 months the most used knives have been 255mm Watanabe gyuto with machi, 230mm Halcyonforge gyuto in Blue 2, and a small AEBL Comet nakiri that has been my breakfast and small jobs stalwart. Others getting decent usage are Kato STD, KU, and WH 240, Ikeda/Kasahara 240, Watanabe nakiri 180, Tanaka KU 190mm gyuto, and CJA 150mm mini gyuto.

My Togashi/Tosa 270 honyaki got a serious workout some weeks ago but it’s been in spa mode for a while now as I lack the time to finish it.

Lefty! :plus1:
240 is most comfortable length for me during super fast pace work.
I use 230 nenox sujihiki the most with 240mm toyama gyuto.
My favorite knife: 300mm shigefusa left handed yanagiba

210mm HHH workhorse blue 2 s/s san mai, 240mm HHH laser AEB-L, 280mm Ingoglia gyuto nitroV, 180mm Teruyasu Fujiwara white 1 s/s san mai.

Next week might be four different knives! [emoji1]

TF 210 AS Denka (51mm at heel)
TF 210 W#1 Nashiji (46mm at heel)
TF 120 W#1 Maboroshi smooth kurouchi finish

Still love my 195ish Carter HG funayuki and a pimped-up 240 Hiromoto AS with a handle by Fish/Greg. Just putting a handle on a 225 gyuto practice blade from Marko that looks promising. Also rehandling A 150 Hiromoto AS petty, missed it after selling the old one off, so I rebought it. Thinking about this made me realize again that I got way too many, may sell off a few soon. Of course, there would always be room for a 240 Watanabe and a mid level 270 yanagi.

Stefan

240 Hiromoto Honyaki
240 Comet gyuto
240 itinomon
Switch between 270 Toyama and 240 KU kato for the hulk smash jobs.
90mm Tojiro parer and tadafusa breadknife handle the rest

Lefty! :plus1:
240 is most comfortable length for me during super fast pace work.
I use 230 nenox sujihiki the most with 240mm toyama gyuto.
My favorite knife: 300mm shigefusa left handed yanagiba

Lefty! Shig yanagibas rock. I've been wanting a 240 toyama, but it's not in stock, good all-a-arounder from what I've gathered.

KMS 255mm /1.2562
Xerxes 280mm /1.2442
Comet 230mm / 52100
Kurosaki 270mm/AS reground by Schanz

These 4 are the most used in the last few months depending on the task at hand and my mood... ;)

Wow, nice rack! You seem to be into tallish gyutos? If only I had the space! I've not heard of Halcyonforge—I just looked them up, is it the 5th from the left in your first photo?

Thx! The rack on the right was made by me, the one on the left made by Cody Paul (@thegingerninja).
The Halcyon is the 4th from the right, 5th from the left is Tanaka B2 KU 190mm. I do like tallish gyutos but not overly tall, around 53mm is my sweet spot with anything 49-57 working for me. I don't really have a problem with lower gyutos but they are not my preference, same with too tall.

Thx! The rack on the right was made by me, the one on the left made by Cody Paul (@thegingerninja).
The Halcyon is the 4th from the right, 5th from the left is Tanaka B2 KU 190mm. I do like tallish gyutos but not overly tall, around 53mm is my sweet spot with anything 49-57 working for me. I don't really have a problem with lower gyutos but they are not my preference, same with too tall.

Like the look of the Halcyon's profile!

In making your rack, did you use the method shown on this website?
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=magnetic-knife-holder

Like the look of the Halcyon's profile!

In making your rack, did you use the method shown on this website?
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=magnetic-knife-holder

there are similarities but I used rectangular magnets, 2 rows for stability, and two pieces of the same wood. I didn't have many tools, only hand saw, plane, sand paper, a hammer, chisel, wood glue, and a drill for the bolts.
I made a couple instagram posts about the process but I have to say chiselling the grooves to a consistent depth and thickness was a royal PITA (I didn't have other tools tho).

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWEfxKRjyi9/?taken-by=cev_valgard
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWHU4jxjCC_/?taken-by=cev_valgard

Just a home cook, but a fairly serious one. Lately, my favorite/most used are:

Toyama 210mm kasumi gyutou
Tojiro DP 150mm honesuki
Shigeharu 240mm yanagiba (really need something longer if I'm going to stay on this sushi kick)
Gesshin 90mm paring
Random ko deba from a shop in Nishiki

This week or two I've been on:
Mazaki 180 petty
Ginga 210 petty in white
Singatirin 210 gyuto
Kaeru 240 gyuto
KS 240 gyuto

Cheers! Bought it five years ago from Jonathan at Jaw Leather. Very simple design, really top quality leather, interior lined with canvas, aged very well. He's one of the early leather knife roll makers, added the scissors strap at top gratis. It's a good minimalist roll. He also makes a larger roll with more slots, and buckles.

That’s a beautiful knife case. Where did you get it?

QXW9MUA.jpg

195 Bryan Raquin gyuto
180 AS Moritaka Nakiri
155 Bloodroot Blades salami & cheese mini-gyuto
110 R2 Blazen parer with custom handle by Dave

kit.jpg

Gude 210mm mini bread sword
Shigeharu 210mm Shirogami 2 petty yanigiba
Salem Straub 195mm line knife AEB-L & micarta
TF 180mm Maboroshi gyuto
LaSeur 7" Cook's Knife 52100 & brass/mahogany
Shi Han 135mm petty 52100 & ho/buffalo