Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know a place is cold when downtown Minneapolis has sky walks connecting everything so you never have to go outside.
And sounds delicious, I hope it was worth braving the elements.

Singaporean Laksa—spicy noodle soup—with Chinese Greens and Sweet Tea Brined Roast Pork. Laksa not from scratch, but rather a brand called Prima Taste—which my Singaporean friend swears by. For instant soup and noodles, it's very good!

31yMK6v.jpg

H5Hk38R.jpg

Singaporean Laksa—spicy noodle soup—with Chinese Greens and Sweet Tea Brined Roast Pork. Laksa not from scratch, but rather a brand called Prima Taste—which my Singaporean friend swears by. For instant soup and noodles, it's very good!

31yMK6v.jpg

H5Hk38R.jpg

Ditmas I sometimes genuinely hate you. I was feeling too lazy to make something nice so I made a basic noodle salad, which would've been perfectly nice had I not seen your stupid post :(

Pretty sure I recall him saying that he used to be a professional chef, though now he's "just" an obviously extremely talented home cook.

I'll second what Mucho Bocho said and am totally with Larry on the "time to come out of retirement" 'popup' NYC dinner ... just say the word, give us a price piont/menu and I will start making plans ... probably find some nice 'sous material amongst us' as well!' .... don't make me beg ... well ... pretty please with sugar on top ...

Pretty sure I recall him saying that he used to be a professional chef, though now he's "just" an obviously extremely talented home cook.

Cheers!

My pro cooking career has been:
• Dishwasher/food prep when I was in high school, in a dodgy Italian restaurant in Hawaii, where they let me plate spaghetti and other dishes when they were swamped. The two head chefs were a Spaniard and a Frenchman. Owner eventually torched the joint for insurance money—he got caught.
• Had a small catering company—"staff" was just me plus girlfriend and soccer teammates (drinking buddies), whom I paid with leftover food. Did private parties, biggest was for 75 people. My business strategy of regularly doing people favors by grossly undercharging doomed me to failure. My soccer team were used as servers, it was very classy 'cause they all had either British or French accents.

Just a home cook. Supper parties for friends and family.

Fortunate enough to have only lived in cities with awesome food/restaurants—Honolulu, San Francisco and NYC.

Once had a French girlfriend, I think I liked her because I assumed all french women cooked. Sadly she couldn't cook and had poor taste in food, we broke up.

Once had a French girlfriend, I think I liked her because I assumed all french women cooked. Sadly she couldn't cook and had poor taste in food, we broke up.
Ah, what a man of unique taste you seem to be. Most men I know have not been attracted to French women due to their assumed cooking. (Though maybe that wasn't the case with Paul Cushing Child.)

P.S. Loved the fitting YouTube video.

The Real Umami Burger
Short rib patty, soy-mushroom-kombu-mirin glaze, velvetta cheese, avocado, Japanese mayo, super fine katsuobushi, thin onions

What happens when I decided I didn't want to waste the last cup of dipping sauce for my udon ...
DSC_0406.jpeg

Homemade pasta today: spaghetti, fettucini and ravioli stuffed with ricotta-mozzarella-parmesan mixture.

Recipe:

500g Divella Farina 00 flour
14 egg yolks
2 egg whites
A few sprinkles of water

Mixing and kneading by hand until it all sticks into one ball. Wrap with plastic wrap and store in the fridge overnight.

IMG_0755.jpg

Crispy skinned Roast Pork Shoulder Half with Uyghur/Xinjiang inspired dry rub made from chilies, cumin, fennel, Sichuan pepper, homemade five spice and salt. Since this is KKF, the recipe required using three different knives.

Always delighted with how cheap pork is on sale at my neighborhood supermarket, this was 89 cents a pound. Not organic or a noble heritage breed, but made for a great pig feast!

Q0Lrrsx.jpg

qLNCN4W.jpg

j5xcfrJ.jpg

Dude that looks SO tasty! I think I may give that a shot for Superbowl. It will give me something to try out my new Kontatsu on. I need to find Sezchuan peppercorns locally--it's one of the treats from visiting western China.

Dude that looks SO tasty! I think I may give that a shot for Superbowl. It will give me something to try out my new Kontatsu on. I need to find Sezchuan peppercorns locally--it's one of the treats from visiting western China.
Do you live near a Chinatown?

I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area, so finding the ingredients shouldn't be too hard. We have Ranch 99 supermarkets here that have a pretty big (overwhelmingly so) selection of Asian ingredients.

Sichuan peppercorns are a very common ingredient in Chinese supermarkets, very cheap. Should be lightly toasted in a skillet before grinding them up. The pre-ground stuff always tastes flat and stale to me.

Sichuan peppercorns are a very common ingredient in Chinese supermarkets, very cheap. Should be lightly toasted in a skillet before grinding them up. The pre-ground stuff always tastes flat and stale to me.
Totally agree with light toast and fresh ground.
Ma Po tofu will never be the same .

Took another shot at making risotto, adding smaller amounts of stock eack time. Also made it more wet. Turned out really nice..
image.jpeg

Pork sausages with mash, peas and onion gravy.
image.jpeg

Foodball!!!

Baked purple yam chips, celery, Daikon, guacamole.
Crispy Brussels sprouts (avocado oil, garlic, salt, pepper)
Malaysian wings with honey chili garlic almond sauce.
Xinjiang-spiced pork leg (thanks Ditmas!) sous vide at 140F for 14 hours then finished under the broiler
IMG_1966[1].JPG
IMG_1972[1].JPG
IMG_1974[1].JPG
IMG_1976[1].JPG
IMG_1977[1].JPG
IMG_1982[1].JPG
IMG_1983[1].JPG
IMG_1984[1].JPG
IMG_1985[1].JPG
IMG_1981[1].JPG

Foodball!!!

Baked purple yam chips, celery, Daikon, guacamole.
Crispy Brussels sprouts (avocado oil, garlic, salt, pepper)
Malaysian wings with honey chili garlic almond sauce.
Xinjiang-spiced pork leg (thanks Ditmas!) sous vide at 140F for 14 hours then finished under the broiler
Looks bloody great! I've got to try making that pork, too!

Back