Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IMG_2044.jpg

It was satisfying.

I just followed the voice of God.

I could watch artisans do their magic all day long!

I have never come close to buying this much meat at once. How much does a pig carcass like that set you back? (or do you just use a belly cut from the butcher?)

I could watch artisans do their magic all day long!

I have never come close to buying this much meat at once. How much does a pig carcass like that set you back? (or do you just use a belly cut from the butcher?)

I did not follow him that strictly. 3 kg pork belly was enough

I've done tons of pork roasts over the years, but never a porchetta. I need to try this, too! :)

What recipe did you use?

Seriously though, here is the real recipe:

1. 3 kg high quality fresh pork belly. Make sure to a) get one with serious amounts of fat, b) get the meat in one whole piece.

2. Score the meat (makes it easier to fold and roll later) and cut off a real chunk of meat along one of the sides (the meat will be your centrepiece in the roll) so you have enough skin to zeal and fold the roll).

3. Distribute a paste/rub allover the meat - paste consisting of:
Kosher salt
High quality freshly ground black pepper
One sprig of fresh rosemary
1 tsp roasted fennel seeds
2 cloves of garlic
Some flavourful dried chili (red pepper)
(And optionally: one fresh bay leaf and 4-6 leaves of fresh sage).

4. Roll it up, dry and pat the skin with a paper towel. Place in oven (I prefer a low temperature, say 120-150 C for 6 hours or so).

That is it!
Oh, one last thing: the recipe for the rub/paste is a somewhat light/mild seasoning. I prefer it that way whenever I find high quality pork (I love the taste of pig - and I strive for enhancement of flavour rather than concealing flavour). But you can probably double or tripple the amount of spices (I have seen such recipes online) if you prefer it that way!
Have fun!

Playing the long game. Made some bread and butter pickles last night for upcoming pulled pork sandwiches.

Attachments

• AA15D8F1-E572-4AA9-AFD3-A823D557EED2.jpeg
    AA15D8F1-E572-4AA9-AFD3-A823D557EED2.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 46
Even at a farmer's market?

Yes ... but ... is the best answer / nothing exactly near me to be honest (maybe 30 min drive or so and no guarantees). I have sources and buying on line makes sense just have to deal with shipping costs but oh well. Lived in Berlin and Toulouse, at various times, and it was always such a pleasure to find this level of product local and perfect.

Latest posts

Back