Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Serious Eats Porkchetta (Mucho Bocho way)...

4 LBS 1/4 whole belly
Scored meat and skin. Rubbed a pork spice and 1 gram of Mortons Quick Cure on meat. Rubed salt and baking powder on skin. Rolled up very tight.

Sous Vide 140 for 100hrs. Chilled completely
Shallow fry then heat in 375 degree oven until internal temp was 140.

Served with an apple Kale slaw with honey Dijon dressing and white bean puree.

The skin was almost too crunchy, but was rendered well. I had to break out the electric knife or it wold have broken apart when carving. Next time I make this, i'm going to peel back the skin on 1/2 of the belly but leave it attached. Like a flap. Then when I roll it, I'll wrap the belly around in two layers of its skin. Was tasty though.

00D76FD8-1A01-4F99-BCFB-988FBB5275CA.jpg

B5AC94BF-763E-4447-AD0B-F54849120601.jpgB7476373-05EF-4BFE-9CDD-1B2DDD5EBFA6.jpg

Serious Eats Porkchetta (Mucho Bocho way)...

4 LBS 1/4 whole belly
Scored meat and skin. Rubbed a pork spice and 1 gram of Mortons Quick Cure on meat. Rubed salt and baking powder on skin. Rolled up very tight.

Sous Vide 140 for 100hrs. Chilled completely
Shallow fry then heat in 375 degree oven until internal temp was 140.

Served with an apple Kale slaw with honey Dijon dressing and white bean puree.

The skin was almost too crunchy, but was rendered well. I had to break out the electric knife or it wold have broken apart when carving. Next time I make this, i'm going to peel back the skin on 1/2 of the belly but leave it attached. Like a flap. Then when I roll it, I'll wrap the belly around in two layers of its skin. Was tasty though.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Whoah, mucccho.. I am hungry again.

Moved to a new city a few months back and took a new desk job, been putting in consecutive 80+ hours weeks. Just brutal. Especially for a newlywed (lots of change in a short period of time). Finally got around to cooking tonight, for the first time since moving. Just steak and potatoes with roasted broccoli - shallot and mushroom on the steak with red wine redux. Nothing too fancy or new, just a simple meal for a simple home cook. But man it felt good to cook again. Life is really missing something without decent home cooked food.

2znzkoh.jpg

Anyway, good to be back. Now bring on the knives :knife:

Just .... I love how you cooks say just and list couple of pages of ingredients :)

Looks terrific. I am currently without any form of kitchen and suffering immensely.

Grilling on the Kamado Joe Classic

Light the lump charcoal with a MAP gas torch.

2 racks of baby back ribs

Two Snake River Farms center cut ribeyes, cave man style

Split lobster tails, grilled on cut side for a minute, then flipped, so the shell holds some melted butter to poach. Some butter may have dripped onto the coals. It made a lovely light.

Cheers,

Jack

Threads like this really make me wish this forum had a "like" button.

Grilling on the Kamado Joe Classic

Light the lump charcoal with a MAP gas torch.

Split lobster tails, grilled on cut side for a minute, then flipped, so the shell holds some melted butter to poach. Some butter may have dripped onto the coals. It made a lovely light.

IMG_0172_zps81ihlhf5.jpg

Cheers,

Jack

Whoah, love those tails on fire.

Tried making Matty's Lasagna but with ground beef chuck and pork shoulder instead of standard mince. Turned out to be pretty great. Definitely going to make lasagnas like this from now on.

719f28c0924e6ddbab41.png

Damage, Looks interesting. I just made a Laz. for the first time in ten years. Was raised on it, you know how that goes. I used lamb, beef, bison and pork in mine. Based it on the serious eats recipe. Used fresh gluten free laz. sheets to keep it a little lighter. The full cassrole still weighed almost 20LBS.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...bolognese-pasta-italian-homemade-ricotta.html

I didn't take any pics this time. I also added my basil/parsley her mix after it came out of the oven. Nice pan too.

Beef, bison, lamb, and pork? Sounds like a confusing flavor profile. Might give it a try next time.

I've discontinued the use of bechamel sauce in lasagna, as well as canned or jarred crushed tomato. I just find that it makes the lasagna too wet and soupy. The only tomato product in my lasagna is two large spoonful's triple concentrate tomato puree. So it's just a kickass brown Bolognese layered with fresh buffalo mozzarella and good pasta. And some parsley. Not a light lasagna by any means but usually I am in the mood for something light, I don't make lasagna.

Thanks, the pan is a large Mauviel with the tall handles. When filled with lasagna the whole thing weighs like 10 kilos.

I was also raised with lots of lasagna, but was never that great. (mince and a roughly chopped onion simmered in a can of prepared tomato sauce, layered with gloopy bechamel and bad quality pasta sheets) I
So for some sort of childhood closure I decided to try and make my personal ultimate lasagna.

I mean no offence with this comment, and hope it isn't taken the wrong way, but… it almost sounds like that Marie's Homemade Italian Tomato Sauce From Italy in the YT bonehead thread, except it's missing all of the canola oil

No offence taken. Nah, my parents were never as bad as Marie by a long shot. Jarred tomato sauce in Denmark is much better than that Contadina crap. Usually prepared tomato sauce in Denmark is slightly watery crushed tomatoes with a bit of rosemary and basil in it.

And I'm still sorry for having to share those videos with you guys. I just had to share the pain. Also, I am dead certain that the reason she pours two liters of canola oil into her sauce is a braindead misunderstanding of the old method of infusing garlic and basil into a lightly heated olive oil and then using that as a starter for the sauce. Like in this video at time-code 15:10.

[video=youtube;63-IrqflAbI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63-IrqflAbI[/video]

For some insane reason, she understood this infused olive oil as "deep fry onions and rotten basil in neutral oil and strain the oil into the sauce". There are worse cooks out there on youtube, but I think I'll spare you. For now.
Whenever I see that kind of video, I realize how often I take my cooking skills for granted. I get to cook and eat delicious food every day because I've spent years and years learning how to do it well. Some people never get better no matter how much they cook. And they will never learn the joys of creating something truly delicious, even though they think they may have. I can come home and with little to no real effort cook a very well-tasting dish. While it comes naturally to me, most people can't actually do that.

But something that I don't understand is the psychology of someone like Marie. Does she truly believe that she has made a delicious pasta sauce? If she goes to a nice Italian restaurant and orders real penne arrabiata or the spaghetti with fresh tomato sauce made in the video I linked, does she think "This isn't at all how I would make it.", meaning she's used to her own crap and finds it preferable, or does she think it's some sort of unobtainable magic to be able to make a real sauce, realizing the deliciousness, but not perusing to make it herself as it would be too daunting a task? I can't wrap my mind around it.

.But something that I don't understand is the psychology of someone like Marie. Does she truly believe that she has made a delicious pasta sauce? If she goes to a nice Italian restaurant and orders real penne arrabiata or the spaghetti with fresh tomato sauce made in the video I linked, does she think "This isn't at all how I would make it.", meaning she's used to her own crap and finds it preferable, or does she think it's some sort of unobtainable magic to be able to make a real sauce, realizing the deliciousness, but not perusing to make it herself as it would be too daunting a task? I can't wrap my mind around it.

Agree, people like her must be so deluded it's almost sad. I am not a chef/cook, but I can at least hold my own in my kitchen and make real food; I still don't think my culinary adventures are YT worthy. I honestly think you could buy a premium canned/jarred pasta sauce that'd be better than what she makes.

most definitely tj, but even "premium" jarred pasta sauces, if I have to get them, I usually have to add something to them or whatever to make them to my "liking"

most definitely tj, but even "premium" jarred pasta sauces, if I have to get them, I usually have to add something to them or whatever to make them to my "liking"

But Marie did just that.

½ surface worth of onion power
½ surface worth of garlic powder
1/4 surface worth black pepper dust
2 cups neutral oil

re: jarred marinara - mostly i would agree, but this stuff is really tasty http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MWQWRC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
there are always exceptions to the rule

Of course. I purchase this particular jar of Italian tomatoes all the time for emergency situations where I don't have time to spend making the sauce from scratch as usual. It's expensive, but definitely worth the price.

1414078142-56440800.jpg

My go-to quick dinner is frying a onion, garlic, chili, and pancetta in a bit of olive oil, adding some of the jarred stuff along with a bit of pasta water and then mix, letting the pasta absorb the sauce for a minute or two.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Not at home, lol last thing I wanna do is cook some more. I eat chef boyardyee ravioli straight out of the can sometimes as well, haha.

I remember having Chef Susan Lindeborg tell me this same this same thing in 2001 when The Majestic Café opened in Alex. She mentioned buying diced garlic for home use - I must of looked surprised because she mentioned panda's reasoning and added - at home I have to do the dishes and being a professional chef I'm not good about worrying about how many dirty dishes I create. She was a great Executive Chef back when there were very few who were women. Loved eating at the Morrison Clark Hotel when she was there, great rabbit!

I get it. Kinda like the mechanic that drives a jalopy or the prof knife sharpener with dull knives. Kinda sad if you ask me

burger1.jpg

Home made bun, fries cooked in a mix of peanut oil and beef tallow.

Back