Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Andrew.

I prepared it by purchasing it vacuum packed from a butcher in Paris, packing it in an ice cooler, then driving it to Denmark. I then opened it and sliced it with a wire. It's quite a labor intensive preparation, but if you have some time on your hands, it's well worth the effort.

Flying to Paris to get foie sounds like too much effort from LA, but the salad does look pretty good...

Thanks for the details :)

Had beef short ribs in the sous vide for Sunday night and didn't know what I wanted for tonight... finally decided and threw some spinalis dorsi in with the ribs for a few hours.

That looks yum Alex. What are you using to sous vide? I've never done it but Anova has me curious

e6VNoZa.jpg

Jerked spare ribs.

That looks yum Alex. What are you using to sous vide? I've never done it but Anova has me curious

I use an anova wifi. The wifi doesn't work well for me but that is really a gimmick feature i think.

Apart from that it is great. The short ribs turned out really nice, though will try a higher temp next time to break the protein down more.

I say get on Otto. You can do most things without one but they make things easier. Medium rare steak every time. And it is amazing how much favour infuses in to the meat as it cooks.

Is that a Wakui?

No, it's a 240mm carbon Kochi gyuto from JKI. I'd never heard of a Wakui—just looked it up on the Tosho site, similar looking knife. From the looks of the two, I believe the Kochi is a little taller, with perhaps a tad more belly than the Wakui. Kochis a great cutter.

Has me curious too, uses a sous vide before manu times at work, but looks like the perfect home solution rather than spending £500 on a industrial machine.

The soup (with the main body of noodles. Noodles are not handmade, I really like the Hakubaku ones - made with alkaline and not just colored yellow, but no egg or odd additives) is standard khao soi curry (quite different from thai yellow curry even if it looks similar - much more black cardamon and turmeric focused), top noodles are some of the noodles separated and quickly oil blanched a bit, had hot oil for the shallots anyway. Oil blanch works with that noodle type too though the original thai dish uses egg noodles - don't try that with standard wheat noodles which will become inedibly tough, or udon which will become styrofoam :) . Under it is just marinated&griddled tofu strips ...

And I need a bright kitchen lamp that can drive a digital camera without the bloody flash and/or white balance problems :)

Making island ahi and sweet Maui onion poke in Hawaii—pictures from my last trip a few months ago! Good thing about Hawaii is being able to get sashimi grade ahi at supermarkets.

uYufhir.jpg

0rfLA01.jpg

25Q3XEY.jpg

QHLcPL2.jpg

Sometimes it's the simple things that are best. If you have never had a BLT with the tomato still warm from the sun, you've never really had a BLT.

20170624_191213_zps9be1chyb_edit_1498346833154_zpsbwcoocqi.jpg

20170624_191309_zpshxx6d8ga.jpg

Sometimes it's the simple things that are best. If you have never had a BLT with the tomato still warm from the sun, you've never really had a BLT.

20170624_191213_zps9be1chyb_edit_1498346833154_zpsbwcoocqi.jpg

20170624_191309_zpshxx6d8ga.jpg

That actually looks amazing. I can't remember where I read it but that taste of sun warm tomato was described as "blood-butter richness"

Just put a pot of ragu bolognese on the stove.. Should be ready in about five hours..

Lars

Back