What's grilling??????

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Miyabi for this steak try, an initial seasoning (mini-cure) of: salt, sugar and a dash of baking soda. Can let sit for up to a day. Before cooking, rinse/dry that seasoning off and re season (salt/pepper). This treatment/mini-cure, will bring lots of denatured protein fibers to the surface for greater surface area for crust formation and you get the benefit if tenderizing the meat by lowering the pH.

Then, cook your steak at 200F until internal temp is 90-95F, then pat dry, oil and cook over a screaming hot grill or pan, turning frequently until you form a dark mahogany crust and internal temp is >6 degrees F before your desired temp. Rest uncovered for min 10 minutes. Cooking a beef low and slow in the beginning will tenderize it through activating the naturally occurring enzymes in the meat. Have fun.

Miyabi for this steak try, an initial seasoning (mini-cure) of: salt, sugar and a dash of baking soda. Can let sit for up to a day. Before cooking, rinse/dry that seasoning off and re season (salt/pepper). This treatment/mini-cure, will bring lots of denatured protein fibers to the surface for greater surface area for crust formation and you get the benefit if tenderizing the meat by lowering the pH.

Then, cook your steak at 200F until internal temp is 90-95F, then pat dry, oil and cook over a screaming hot grill or pan, turning frequently until you form a dark mahogany crust and internal temp is >6 degrees F before your desired temp. Rest uncovered for min 10 minutes. Cooking a beef low and slow in the beginning will tenderize it through activating the naturally occurring enzymes in the meat. Have fun.

Curiosity here. Which enzyme and at which temperature does it activate? I guess it's relatively low or we don't care about duration since we are pulling around 90. I don't mean to be a jerk, I just had a thought. Why couldn't I cure, sous vide around 90 for an hour, chill, sous vide for an hour at desired temp, and final sear. Along the same lines of cooking sweet potatoes around 110 for an extended period to break starch down to sugar.

That's a whole lot of trouble, now I am just curious though.

Jared

You could do the SV approach. I flunked Chemistry class but "There are many roads to the top of the mountain"

One of my favorites with ribeye is into the smoker till steak is 120F. Then blister sear it.

I appreciate the post Bocho. I didn't get a chance to read it in time to try this tonight, but I'm very curious about the rub with (a dash) of baking soda. We all have our own ways but I like expanding my options. I also (shamelessly) haven't focused on creating a crust for steak. I'll be trying this sooner than later!

I ended up sparingly using a worcestershire based marinade I put together. I've been meaning to get a thermometer, it would be useful for reverse searing among other things.

In any event the steak came out a wonderful medium-rare. :dance4: It's a shame using propane but for now it suffices.

Curiosity here. Which enzyme and at which temperature does it activate? I guess it's relatively low or we don't care about duration since we are pulling around 90. I don't mean to be a jerk, I just had a thought. Why couldn't I cure, sous vide around 90 for an hour, chill, sous vide for an hour at desired temp, and final sear. Along the same lines of cooking sweet potatoes around 110 for an extended period to break starch down to sugar.

That's a whole lot of trouble, now I am just curious though.

Jared

you need mcgee's on food and cooking I'll try to look it up for you tomorrow after work if I'm not too beat

Here is a Spachcocked Polyface Farm chicken I cooked on the BGE last night. Minced Sage, salt, pepper and melted butter under the skin, then after about 20 minutes on the grill I take a stick of butter and coat the skin to help with browning.

WP_20160406_18_56_18_Pro.jpg

Hope I'm not derailing the thread, but something like the bbq IQ 110 takes any guesswork out of maintaining the BGEs temp and isn't that much $$$. The thermometer in the dome is pretty good, but not like something digital. Love my Egg and associated toys. I just got a cast iron 14" pizza pan to use my Egg as a griddle. Burgers this weekend.

My all time favorite item. Cheeseburgers. That broken peice of bacon makes the picture great.

Thanks, I should have gotten the oven hotter first. I really need another oven thermometer since I can't trust my oven for anything. But just tossed sliced pots with vege oil, s+p, baked at 450F til golden, then cranked up to 500 for a bit. Tiny bit more oil with fresh garlic and parsley.

Back