What's in your freezer at home?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know what's depressing about this thread? That my wife (& toddler, unsurprisingly) will not eat 90% of what's in your freezers, and therefore I'll never be similarly stocked. I have to buy the odd duck breast or flank steak and eat it on the sly to escape the tyranny of chicken and salmon.

That sounds like irreconcilable differences to me. My previous wife was the same and I eventually divorced her due to her "basse cuisine" rigidity. When I started dating my current wife about 9 years ago, first thing I did was feed her a dinner of grilled octopus and a breakfast of champagne and 2 dozen raw oysters. I wanted to make damned sure I wasn't falling into that same trap again!

Usually a mix of ingredients that I bought in bulk, such as steak or hunks of cheese where I picked up a large amount somewhere and have portioned it up. Also, meals where I've cooked something and there is tons left over; these go into containers with single-sized portions that I can just stick in the microwave when I want a lazy dinner. There's also a bunch of stuff that I like to keep ready and that would spoil in the fridge, such as cured egg yolk, Tobiko, live yeast, homemade jerky, various types of homemade stock, half-size sourdough loaves, etc. A little bit of everything, really…

Light + Valhalla liquer, few kilos of moose(last pounds of reindeer went last Weekend), smoke flank, cloudberry-,buckthorn- and blackcurrant jam, milkproducts and stuff that kids and wife eat :D

Yeah you’re right, that’s smart. I have such a small freezer though. [emoji31]

They don't take up much room at all. Barely an inconvenience...

20191209_081534.jpg

I think when I looked at lunch today it was two packs of bacon, some ham bones, some chicken bones, frozen waffles and some frozen fun size candy bars (wifes choice - dark chocolate kitkat, mine snickers). And your usual smattering of frozen veg.

Reasons I prefer to keep a year's worth or more of several things in freezers:

Keeping my USA money in a bank results in a steady loss of value as a deliberately designed feature of our system- And store bought food usually goes up in price faster than my rather tiny income increases. So, my money is doing better invested in canned goods and shotguns than sitting in the bank-

The financial advantage of buying large ammounts of reasonably durable consumables, (especially when on sale) vs. small packages "just in time" is small but measurable. In a similar vein, things like toilet paper and cleaning supplies are also bought on sale/in bulk.

Bulk packages/large cuts pretty much always costs less per food value received, I know how to use what butchers would trim off these for stock, saussage & etc., plus I have sufficiently sharp knives so taking apart large cuts is not too hard a task (thanks to KKF for some help with that).

The less trips I make to market for things which are reasonably durable in storage and I KNOW I will eventually use, the less fuel, vehicle wear & tear and TIME I waste on repeated small buys and the easier my life is.

I have more storage space to work with than many (The big freezer is sitting at our business warehouse, so are some other "personal use" things).

Food in storage makes me feel better about life too- I HAVE actually been broke and hungry a couple of times in my misspent youth, it's nice to know that short of nuclear war or major natural disaster, I know where my next several (hundred?) meals could come from.

If the **** hits the fan, y'all are welcome to come over for dinner.

Last edited:
Just got a gift at work, so I'll be adding 2 racks baby back, 2 racks spare ribs and a rack of beef ribs. All pre-cooked, frozen and vac sealed from Blacks BBQ in Lockhart, TX

Ice trays including one for big cubes. Costco Salmon burgers
Pieces of wild salmon
Extra loaf of Dave's bread
Lobster tail
Scallops
Shrimp
Chicken thighs
Cherry Garcia wt. Almond milk
Frozen fruit
Butter
Sausage for me :D
Few sauces portion quart freezer bags.

It has changed last couple years hardly any processed foods. Fresh fruits and vegetables. Buy fresh local fish. Crab when it goes on sale. I order oysters when we go out. Lived on ocean all my life love seafood.

When the ==== hits the fan it's going to be fresh water supply it's already happening in middle East where farmers don't have enough to grow crops.

Water has more value cannot live without it.

When the ==== hits the fan it's going to be fresh water supply it's already happening in middle East where farmers don't have enough to grow crops.

Water has more value cannot live without it.

Yes, you can often survive several weeks without food but might not make it 2 days without water, depending on weather. Plus, you really need some to make soup!

I DO have some water in the freezer, but I'd have to defrost it to reclaim ;)

"**** hits the fan" to me covers everything from "wife decided you don't live there anymore" to more "news worthy events"? All of them can interfere with having dinner.

Deer, ducks, turkey, bear
Pesto, tomato sauce, applesauce, mango jam, Mexican red sauce, demi glace
Blueberries, strawberries, mangoes, figs
Stock: chicken, turkey, shrimp, pork

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 0
Last edited:
My ex boyfriend's remains
Also some chicken meatballs
Ice cubes
Ice cream
Toast
Fish bones for stock
Lamb bones from 2004
A bag of chicken stock from my childhood
And some fossils.

(tldr; time to clean the freezer)

:D nice thread. Late to the party, but ...
I'm still steeped in my 12-years of near-veganism, so I don't have any meats in there, just some chicken stock that I made one day... (I eat meat when I go out though, and cook it fresh for guests and the band I'm in).
But! For flavoring homebrews:
Foraged fruits like mulberries, grapes, and also flowers, the beaten up fruit from work
Rescued bread for pudding and french toast
Miso paste
Ice
Yeasts and starters
Ginger bug
Bouche de Noel

Lol that's it.

Back