What's your favorite 240mm Gyuto under $300

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sad to see the Yoshikane's at EpicEdge are out of stock. I bought my 210mm Tsuchime SKD there 10 months ago, my favorite knife. Slightly behind it are the Hiragatake's I have... a 165mm, a 180mm and a 240mm. Got the 240mm with their Black Friday sale in November for $148!!! Very good steel and grinds, good food release and comes with a comfortable and attractive ebony handle.

Epicurean Edge: Japanese and European professional chefs knives

IMG_7281.jpg

Last edited:
Geez, there's so many ways to blow a grand.

How to spend $1k:
$300 gyuto
$150 petty
$200 suji
$100 honesuki
$150 deba
$100 nakiri

or

How to spend $1k:
$850 TF 240 denka gyuto
$150 petty (ginga)
Crap! I’m well over a thousand already. And haven’t spent more than $200 on any single knife. Not sure I “need” any more though. I find my Yaxell Dragon Fire to be fairly satisfying. Not sure what I’m doing wrong, you know, liking a $120 knife. Maybe ignorance really is bliss.

Crap! I’m well over a thousand already. And haven’t spent more than $200 on any single knife. Not sure I “need” any more though. I find my Yaxell Dragon Fire to be fairly satisfying. Not sure what I’m doing wrong, you know, liking a $120 knife. Maybe ignorance really is bliss.

Nothing wrong with that. My favorite knife is a cheap Tojiro F-300 (Nakiri) that a friend gifted to me. It feels and performs so good!

Misono Ux10. Not pretty, not flashy, but a flawless performer. And stainless for worry-free. I’m also getting a dragon, which should be nothing but worry free😂

TBH, the last under-$200 gyuto I bought was nearly a decade ago, my first J-knife—still have it, a solid performer. My tastes have evolved beyond bang-for-buck; knife requirements for my kitchen achieved years ago; buying/chasing kitchen knives a seriously enjoyable hobby.

This is not really a recommendation because I don't have direct experience with this knife, but I've always been intrigued by this Hitohira Futana for 200 bucks. Has anyone here ever used one? Is is a good rec for someone starting out and looking for something along these lines of style and steel?

BTW anyone know is there substantial difference between the Migaki and Nashiji version of Waku? CKC has both of them in stock now
The nashiji version is typically thicker with a relatively flat grind up to the shinogi line, at least for the several that I've owned. The migaki version is thinner and more convex. I will say that the Wakui migaki is one of my all-time favorite knives. I actually just purchased a 210mm of this latest batch from a different retailer and it's very well done. To me, it's a no brainer at its price point.

The nashiji version is typically thicker with a relatively flat grind up to the shinogi line, at least for the several that I've owned. The migaki version is thinner and more convex. I will say that the Wakui migaki is one of my all-time favorite knives. I actually just purchased a 210mm of this latest batch from a different retailer and it's very well done. To me, it's a no brainer at its price point.
Thank you!

BTW anyone know is there substantial difference between the Migaki and Nashiji version of Waku? CKC has both of them in stock now
I have the hammered Wakui from KnS which is a beefy workhorse. I understand that the Nashijis from KnS are similar although I've never held one so cannot say for sure. It's possible that another vendor has a Nashiji knife with a different grind. I've only ever heard of a thinly ground hairline.

Edit: just realised @Tostados had already answered this

A lot of excellent knives have been suggested in this thread.

The question that should be asked is "favourite, FOR WHAT"

That is to say, different knives are good at different things.

One knife which it would be remis not to mention is Shiro Kamo Ku AS. My gyuto is very thinly ground, my sujii is more a middleweight. Easy to sharpen, decent edge retention, fairly uniform grind. Not the best knife but very good knives which could be the only knives you ever need. At bargain basement prices.

A serious contender for the best value knife.

As has been mentioned, his R2 damascus knives are pretty good too.

This is not really a recommendation because I don't have direct experience with this knife, but I've always been intrigued by this Hitohira Futana for 200 bucks. Has anyone here ever used one? Is is a good rec for someone starting out and looking for something along these lines of style and steel?
Yes it is great value, the OEM is Sakon and it's really well done. I have the Futana S3 210mm YO handle and it's terrific, I don't have to baby it and has very good cutting feel due to the convex grind. Sharpens well and keeps it's toothiness. I say get it.

Yes it is great value, the OEM is Sakon and it's really well done. I have the Futana S3 210mm YO handle and it's terrific, I don't have to baby it and has very good cutting feel due to the convex grind. Sharpens well and keeps it's toothiness. I say get it.
thanks for replying. I'm not actually in the market, but I've always been tempted to recommend this to folks looking for a affordable wa gyuto, but always felt funny doing so since I've never actually held one. I do otherwise have good experience with Hitohira, as I have a bunka in blue #1.

iron clad wakui in v2 with machi and a JKI burnt chestnut handle is just an insanely good knife.

not for the money, just in general. the fact that it's under 300 is a bonus.

that said, sometimes iron clad Mutsumi Hinoura 240s sneak in under 300 and I really love his knives.

shibata kotetsu AS 240.
my daily driver easy to sharpen takes an AMAZING edge.

Guess I will wait for the Kochi then… I kind like iron cladding just for ease down the line, also burned chestnut handle feels nice.
Kochi is one of the best knives I have used. I still regret selling my 240 with machi. You can sign up for in stock notifications with JKI. They always seem to be timely and give you a genuine shot at picking one up when he posts the knives online.

Back