Whats your most expensive hobby?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rare and high end bourbon, whiskey and scotch.

Started about 2 years ago when I tried pappy van winkle for the first time. I finally hit the 50 bottle mark this month.

Some of my best bottles:
2010 Van Winkle Family Reserve 23 year
2014 / 2015 / 2016 Michters M20
Booker Rye (whiske of the year 2016)
Willett 23 yr short barrel
2016 full line of van winkle.
The Macallan 25
Ardbeg alligator

Rare and high end bourbon, whiskey and scotch.

Started about 2 years ago when I tried pappy van winkle for the first time. I finally hit the 50 bottle mark this month.

Some of my best bottles:
2010 Van Winkle Family Reserve 23 year
2014 / 2015 / 2016 Michters M20
Booker Rye (whiske of the year 2016)
Willett 23 yr short barrel
2016 full line of van winkle.
The Macallan 25
Ardbeg alligator

Collecting or drinking?

Lenses mainly, leica to be exact. bodies come bodies go but lenses.. yes. did I say lenses? LOL.

Yeah these get very expensive very fast, particularly new.

I just want a 28 Elmarit ASPH, then I'm done.

Maybe a 35 Summilux FLE, but that's definitely it. ;)

within 2 days of buying the car i've always wanted (honda s2000), i've already spent another $1200 on refreshing it and another $2000 in the wishlist :D i can tell this is going to consume all of my time and money going forward and what scares me is that i have no problem with that!

WP_20170226_14_45_29_Pro_zps6frwax8h.jpg~original

I owned a Patek 3940, for a little while. Bought it for cheap, sold it for a lot, paid for tuition with the remainder (social science doctoral students don't get funding).

Used to be motorcycles. Guitars a close second and of course kitchen knives. Now I'm just bored.

bikes.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Yeah these get very expensive very fast, particularly new.

I just want a 28 Elmarit ASPH, then I'm done.

Maybe a 35 Summilux FLE, but that's definitely it. ;)

:D the 1.0 noct has put a bandaid on the acquisition syndrome for a few years now, so i'm happy :D but I do want to replace the M9 with a M10 though :eek:

We probably spend more on travel than anything else. Outside of that we live fairly modestly.

I've recently started building a cedar strip canoe. Not terribly expensive (but it could be, toolwise) but very time consuming.

I just have a Honda with manual stick & spoon pipes.

Always liked the open wheel race cars got my first CMC 1/18 diecast several years ago, have added to the list. All 1/18 scale.

1953 -CMC Ferrari 500 F2 my first CMC model was blown away.
1924 - CMC Bugatti type 35 dominate racer of the 1920's
1931 -CMC Mercedes Benz SSKL race version white elephant. Roots supercharged straight six.
1936-CMC Auto Union V16 roots supercharged rear engine designed by Dr. Ferdinand Porsche.
1938 CMC Mercedes Benz W 154- V12 two roots compressors.
1956 CMC Maserati 300S race car. Beautiful car made of 1,838 parts mostly metal CMC at it's best.
1961 CMC Ferrari Shark Nose. By early 60's even Ferrari putting engine in the rear.
1961 CMC Aston Martin DB4 GT race car Zagato body.
1962 Spark Lotus 25 Dutch GP British racing green. One of my favorite open wheel F1 roadsters. Clean lines small compact racing machine.
1968 Exoto Lotus 49 Ford V8 engine.

Once I find a car I like, do google search for the best price I can find. Just ordered a CMC Mercedes 1920's Targa Florio. Was a no longer produced series found one in Greece for a good price even with shipping. Think the dollar is strong against the Euro now.

Keith, I did not think of a model car :)

But you seriouly owe us some photos and action videos of those super cool cars :)

What kind of whiskey Rami?

Well, at the moment scotch and Japanese. I bought up in my trip to Tokyo last year.
Stuff in the region of 100$ usd. Nice to drink but not break the bank.

Want to try some American rye but that stuff is either too expensive in Australia or your typical cheap and nasty.

Ps. For some reason I don't see any notifications when someone quote me.

Well, at the moment scotch and Japanese. I bought up in my trip to Tokyo last year.
Stuff in the region of 100$ usd. Nice to drink but not break the bank.

Want to try some American rye but that stuff is either too expensive in Australia or your typical cheap and nasty.

Ps. For some reason I don't see any notifications when someone quote me.

Are there notifications when someone quotes you? I don't think so.

Keith, I did not think of a model car :)

But you seriouly owe us some photos and action videos of those super cool cars :)

If you are interested you can look up any of the cars there will be many pictures and UTUBE on each car. If you google a car go to either Legacydiecast or Mint Models they have excellent details of the cars. I love utube have seen race film from the 1920's of the Bugatti 35 racing the 1924 Mercedes Targa Florio. The Mercedes was painted red by team manager Alfred Neubauer to fool the Italian fans who were known to roll rocks down on cars. Also found utubes of surviving race cars being fired up & on the road like the 1931 Mercedes SSKL & the Auto Union V16.

Better yet you are in Germany the originals are in museums. CMC is a German co. The cars are designed in Germany and manufactured in China. Women do the fine detail work.

Collecting cookbooks for me around 30+ and like 40 on the amazon wishlist so quite abit of $$$ is put towards that. :biggrin:

Do you mean 30+ cookbooks on one shelf or altogether. :D
I do have quite a few as well, but most of them are second hand from charity shops / car boot sales / amazon.
So i could call it a hobby, but not an expensive one. (Only a very few of my books have cost me more than a fiver.)

Watches then wine. Glad I hoarded whiskey about 5-10 years ago so I don't have to deal with it now!

Do weddings count as a hobby? Just got back from the tailor only to find out that a $2500 suit has been improperly done twice now.

It only counts as a hobby if you do them often. :)

Guns and motorcycles are a lot more expensive as a hobby than collecting kitchen knives. Imagine having to buy ammo or pay for maintenance just to use your knives.

Guns and motorcycles are a lot more expensive as a hobby than collecting kitchen knives. Imagine having to buy ammo or pay for maintenance just to use your knives.

Join the military. The ammo comes free. ;)

I've seen some people post their natural stones here, does that count as knife maintenance cost? :)

Back