When does J-knife collecting become a sickness?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
giphy.gif
:oops: I did this with Martell Sujis this part year. But to balance it I bought a stainless steel gyuto, which I then sold on at cost to a local cook who really, really had wanted to buy it from Dave but waited too long to pull the trigger. It is the first knife I have sold. I have another one I am sending on right now, so 'sold to date" will equal 2, vs purchasing somewhere over 30...

I have 2 gyutos I am toying with selling soon, as I never use them or even think about reaching for them. One is a 'laser' I never too a shine to, and the other is a cable damascus from a makers who was somewhat popular on KF ITK close to 10 years ago. The money won't be enough to really do anything with, other than maybe eat a couple good dinners out with the wife and kid.

And honestly have had every one of those interests and then some. Two that I've not strayed away from is chef knives and guns.

Uh, me three.

Barely started on the Japanese chef's knife addiction, only bought 3 so far, but I have the first German knives I ever bought still.

And all but two of the guns that have ever come my way.

And the J nat stone pushers are offering me new and addictive substances!

That’s about right. For me it’s not about maintaining a collection to have them all, but trying new ones in case one is just a few percent better for some task in some way, and to gain knowledge. On the other hand, I’ve got the best performing knives and maintain the sharpest edges in all the kitchens I’ve worked in and there’s no longer grounds to say I “need” all of the ones I have, much less more. But the Takamura Pro I just picked up blew me away, and I can’t imagine that I’ll be disappointed in a Maboroshi...
I just picked up a maboroshi and
Some people have the collector gene(s), some people do not... o_O:D
I'm pretty sure I've got that gene. That's exactly why I'm afraid to make my first natural stone purchase. I've got nine synthetics and zero naturals.

When does J-knife collecting become a sickness?

When I bought my first J-knife, it was not because I really 'needed' another knife—I had perfectly functional Wustofs and Sabatiers in my arsenal. My maiden J-knife purchase was either the 240 Masamoto HC or 240 UX10 gyuto—can't remember which came first. I owe my interested to browsing ChefTalk, where a poster named Boar de Laze captured my imagination.

In 2013, my wife was diagnosed with cancer—she's fine now, doing great, in remission, pretty much back to normal. During that stressful period of a couple of years, perhaps needing a distraction I went through a flurry of knife purchases—Kato, Shig, Kono Fuji, Watanabe, Gengetsu, Kochi, KS, etc. My local knife vendor (Korin) was no longer adequate—so I needed to search the world for knives I needed—CKTG, JKI, JNS, K&S, MTC, Bernal, etc.

Now that life as regained a sense of normalcy, I still find myself obsessed with 'needing' to acquire a new knife when I can afford it. The knives I have are good, though my mind rationalizes 'needs,' finding faults where non-exsists—i.e. 'need a 180 petty to complement the 150,' 'need another Mazaki as a back up to my Mazaki in case he changes his profile again,' 'need to experience Heiji's carbon,' 'need a Silverthorn boner in case someone gives me a big haunch of venison that my other other two boners can't handle,' etc.

When I was an avid surfer in Hawai'i, I was aware of a 'Surfers Anonymous' group. When the surf was cranking, it was not uncommon for surfers' to break off dates with girlfriends (or boyfriends), skip out from jobs and important work meetings, forget to pick the kids up from soccer practice, etc.

Curious if any of you feel your knife collecting has ever gotten out of control?
U have the Sanjo flu. U will b fine

Thanks for opening this thread Ditmas.... glad everything is looking up familywise!

....... is there such a thing as too many blades? :p:D

Joke aside..... I think its important to keep this in mind....... It can be a struggle...

Been thinking of this for a while and have tried to keep a stable number... couple of things that can work IMHO

A) cull the herd every once in a while to prove to yourself you are not getting attached. (Detachment) Ive actually tried this a few times and it has proved rather liberating. Yep, even prized treasures... nope, not looking to pick then up.... ;-)

B) have a realistic budget and stick to it (In terma of money or number of blades).

C) once you reach a max you cant buy more unless you sell.

D) focus your collection/inventory/working blades to a style/type, etc. That works for you. Instead of just amassing for the sake of it.

Sometimes, when I get too hooked up, I try to remember that beyond a certain level, a knife really wont make me a better chef or cook (wich is MY endgame) and that I should focus some of my attention to improve my cooking skills or techniques.... or even asigning those resources to tools that I might be needing in the kitchen. That usually helps.

I always have a project/cuisine/dish that needs improving.

Thats my 2c.

Last edited:
It’s only unhealthy if you’re buying more than you can afford or when your life/family get affected by it. Otherwise, go for it!

That said, I personally think everyone should just get rid of the stuff/knives they don’t use to keep it healthy.

@Mucho I literally bought a 3 foot knife bar because my small one was full and I didn’t want to be the guy who needs two knife bars
Sounds logical to me. Just dont be the guy that buys a new house for a bigger kitchen, because his kitchen now is too small for his 10 foot knife bar..lol

I knew i had a problem when i had 3 of the same knife

Three of the same knife??!!

Did you post a knife to sell on BST, saw it, then bought is from yourself?

Out of curiosity, which knife was it that you owned three?

I recall someone on KKF saying they had six Mazakis!

I totally understand: the first knife to use, the second one as a backup in case something happens to the first one, and the third one in case something happens to the backup or they stop making them at all. :)

Now six of the same knife, that's just plain crazy! :eek: Who needs more than five? :D

I've had 6 Mazakis over the course of a year or so. I only kept 2 and they were all different. ;o) I think Matteo has me beat...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsxmbyZhwua/

I try to set a max but I always seem to find a way to cheat and increase it. I started out with 1 knife block as my limit, but then I bought a longer knife that wouldn’t fit and “needed” to get another 35 slot block. I kind of shocked myself at how quickly I filled up the gyuto slots on that block. No point in having empty spots right? Even now, a few knives with sayas are starting to collect behind the block...

I've had 6 Mazakis over the course of a year or so. I only kept 2 and they were all different. ;o) I think Matteo has me beat...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsxmbyZhwua/

Which Mazs' did you keep? My JNS and CC are very different in profile. He should call all of his knives "Limited Edition" or "Sprint Runs." Who knows what's in store for his upcoming batches—stainless clad, 52100, blue steel, honyaki, cleavers, hammered finish, Western handled, new profile, KS profile Mazaki?

Which Mazs' did you keep? My JNS and CC are very different in profile. He should call all of his knives "Limited Edition" or "Sprint Runs." Who knows what's in store for his upcoming batches—stainless clad, 52100, blue steel, honyaki, cleavers, hammered finish, Western handled, new profile, KS profile Mazaki?

Maybe all the variation is a strategy to get people to buy more of them. Who needs 6 if they’re all the same :)

:oops: I did this with Martell Sujis this part year. But to balance it I bought a stainless steel gyuto, which I then sold on at cost to a local cook who really, really had wanted to buy it from Dave but waited too long to pull the trigger. It is the first knife I have sold. I have another one I am sending on right now, so 'sold to date" will equal 2, vs purchasing somewhere over 30...

I have 2 gyutos I am toying with selling soon, as I never use them or even think about reaching for them. One is a 'laser' I never too a shine to, and the other is a cable damascus from a makers who was somewhat popular on KF ITK close to 10 years ago. The money won't be enough to really do anything with, other than maybe eat a couple good dinners out with the wife and kid.

That's great David! Glad you are moving in the right direction / admitting you have a problem and it is working out for you! I know you will be right as reign shortly ... but ... did you just say you had some knives to sell? I could use a new knife ... I mean I don't really have that many ... so what if I have the same ones - this would complement them ... I'm sure I can figure out where to get the money for rent/food ... but knives are really really important and I really don't have that many ... When are you selling? Right now ... I sent you 50 PM's over the course of the last few minutes ... haven't heard back ... tried you home number, sent you several emails, paged you - *** David!!!!! Why won't you get back to me?! We have been the closest of friends for like forever! I mean you have SO MANY KNIVES and I have like NONE ... really ...... err Sorry about that ... All good ... trying to breath ...

Maybe all the variation is a strategy to get people to buy more of them. Who needs 6 if they’re all the same :)

Could be. Or, perhaps from the knife maker's perspective he's just enjoying mixing it up, exploring different designs and methods. I find it quite exciting with talented young talent cranking out knifes, who are not set in their ways.

Recently fell in love with seeing Shehan Prull's wrought iron clad W2.

Could be. Or, perhaps from the knife maker's perspective he's just enjoying mixing it up, exploring different designs and methods. I find it quite exciting with talented young talent cranking out knifes, who are not set in their ways.

Recently fell in love with seeing Shehan Prull's wrought iron clad W2.

Then again, too many choices can be daunting. Been considering picking up a Spyderco EDC, but too many options has me stumped.

Back